Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sense of place

Sense of place

Hi All...
    I study for my MA degree in urban planning, my thesis topic will be about sense of place and character in the city of Amman, I wonder if any one has suggestions for further readings, or can send me some material that may relate to this topic...Thnx:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We do have a small thread talking about just this topic, here. The book I mention by Anthony Hiss is a good one. If you do not already have a copy, order it through Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    There is always the old standby, Lynch's Site Planning.

Still a book that I refer to when trying to explain things..

Another good book that is on my shelf is Fundamentals of Urban design from the APA Press.

Some of Kuntsler's rants also provide good ideas for examining the built environment. May not be totally relevant in your situation due to his agenda and belief system.

good luck.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Hypothesis

My Hypothesis uses Jan Gehl's thoughts in Life between buildings, and supposes that the lower income districts of the city (The case of Amman) enjoy more social outdoor activities, livable pedestrian experiences, and many other sociable occurances, in ways that may positively affect their sense of place, and attachment ; which I termed Amman-philia from Tuan's Topo-philia. This sence of place and character one truely finds around the city, in districts with tight urban pattern, and more dense population, and truely misses in the new (Rich) suburban districts of the city.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Jan 2012, 9:46 PM
  2. Directional Sense
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 May 2009, 10:44 PM
  3. Do some people have NO sense?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Dec 2006, 7:29 PM