Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Weekend

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Ahh...the beauty of private sector jobs....I get to work on Monday when most of our clients will be off. I think I might have a headache that morning...........

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    If a certain planner near me asks, I might be headin' out a ways to do some a'shootin'!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We are old fashioned. We get President's Day and Good Friday. Personally, I would rather have a floating holiday to use whenever I like.

What is Evacuation Day?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by El Feo
    March: Evacuation Day
    Someone help me out here ...

Originally posted by Nerudite
    August: Civic Holiday
    Oh yeah ... that sounds very ... uh, Canadian. "IT'S FUTURAMA'S CIVIC HOLIDAY BLOWOUT! EVERYTHING FROM EH TO ZED IS ON SALE!!!" I don't see it.

I wish I had a copy of the City of Buffalo employee holiday list from the summer I interned there in the 1980s. You could choose to have St. Joseph's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Dyngus Day or Juneteenth off, depending on your ethnicity. Good Friday and Ash Wednesday were official holidays for everyone, as was Flag Day, Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday. There were a few other saint's days that were half days. The joys of a heavily union, fundamentalist Catholic city ...

The old job was pretty sparse. All we had was ...

January: New Year's Day (if it falls on a weekend, the day after Thanksgiving that year will be a holiday), Martin Luther King Day
    February: President's Day
    March: nothing
    April: nothing
    May: Memorial Day
    June: nothing
    July: Independence Day
    August: nothing
    September: Labor Day
    October: nothing
    Nov: Thanksgiving only (day after only if Christmas falls on a Saturday or Sunday)
    Dec: Christmas only

Here's a thought ... do you think that, sometime in your life, you'll ever see MLK Day as commercialized as the other holidays? "I HAVE A DREAM ... OF ZERO PERCENT DOWN AND ZERO PAYMENTS FOR NINETY DAYS ON NEW HONDA ACCORDS! DEMAND YOUR RIGHTS TO A SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT'S OPEN LATE AT NIGHT! MARCH DOWN TO COURTESY HONDA THIS MONDAY AND SAVE! allcelebrityvoicesimpersonatedthiseventnotendorsedbythekingfamily" Can we keep one day sacred ... please?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    "what is evacuation day"

i could go some where with that but i wont...Dan...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    At least we do get the day after Thanksgiving, and either the day before or after Christmas. When it fell on a Wednesday this year, it seemed that everyone took a vacation day. Personally, I like coming in on those days because there are fewer interruptions, although there is also less activity on Cyburbia.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Sounds like we can use several "Evacuation Days" here in Southeast Louisiana.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    In my contract I have 12:

New Years Day
    Presidents Day
    Memorial Day
    Independence Day
    Labor Day
    Columbus Day
    Veterans Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Day After Thanksgiving
    1/2 day on December 24
    Christmas Day
    1/2 Day on December 31
    Floating Holiday (scheduled at employee discretion, and with approval of department head).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Sounds like we can use several "Evacuation Days" here in Southeast Louisiana.
    Especially if you eat the Cajun-style uncooked shrimp.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I might use the extra day to take down Christmas decorations.

Evacuation Day? Somebody respond...inquiring minds want to know.

And nobody has listed Confederate Memorial Day or Robert E. Lee's birthday (both holidays when I worked for state gov't--in the south).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I did some research. It's a Colonial-sounding patriotic mask hiding a St. Patrick's Day holiday. From the Revolutionary War crowd, it's the equivalent of a very minor holiday, but it's taken on new importance in Boston because of that city's large Irish-American population, and the day's close proximity to St. Paddy's.

On March 17, 1776, the British troops in Boston were evacuated from Boston, never to return. In recognition, March 17 is celebrated in Massachusetts as Evacuation Day. Government workers get a paid holiday and there is much public festivity.

Regarding Robert E. Lee Day ... well, maybe our Mississippi correspondents can chime in on on the strange timing of this. Is this a joke?

WHEREAS, the Legislature has designated the third Monday in January as the day for the observance of the birthdays of ROBERT E. LEE and DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., and under the provisions of Section 3-3-7, Mississippi Code of 1972, is a legal holiday in the State of Mississippi;

THEREFORE, all officers and employees of the State of Mississippi are authorized and empowered, at the discretion of the executive head of the department or agency, to close their respective offices in observance of the holiday on

MONDAY, JANUARY 20, 2003

Why all the Confederate-oriented holidays? It's not as if folks in Germany celebrate Blitzkrieg Day on September 1, or Russians take the Friday off before Stalin's birthday on December 21.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Dan state offices and courts also close in Va for Robert E Lee day. I never knew such a holiday was on the books till a few weeks ago-many of my City coworkers are taking off that day.

sad
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Tell me why the day after thanksgiving is a holiday?

I mean seriously, should we as taxpayers be paying a workforce to be off on that day??

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

I mean seriously, should we as taxpayers be paying a workforce to be off on that day??
    Yes (from the standpoint of the workforce). In reality, most people are going to take the day off anyway, if they can. It may be cheaper to keep the doors closed. Besides, all of those overpaid, lazy government workers can then go out and spend money in the stores on the busiest shopping day of the year.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Here's why this pisses me off. Those of us who don't work in gov't (anymore) get like 3 days off a year, Thanksgiving being one of them. So when do I ever get to conduct business at a gov't agency (i.e. renew my concealed weapons permit)? When I take time off from work to do so.

So I take the day after Thanksgiving off, and the GD city is closed for a holiday. What holiday? Is this grade school?? WTF is next spring break? Maybe nap time in the middle of the day?

RANT OVER

Registered
    Aug 2001

Frankly, its because some a-hole mayor somewhere along the line caved in to the secretary's union. After all, they vote too. As a result, management gets the same or better benies as the union. Its the same reason why I pay $10 a month of family health insurance coverage, when its an $8000 a year bennie and cost goes up 30% a year. All hail the a-hole former mayor!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you think we are bad, how about the US Post Office? Or banks?

Well, to be honest, I am jealous.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Just think Mike, you used to be one of us...

From the gov't workers POV, holidays when everyone else is at work (Easter Monday, Remembrance Day up here) are the best - great days to do shopping, especially IKEA.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner

From the gov't workers POV, holidays when everyone else is at work (Easter Monday, Remembrance Day up here) are the best - great days to do shopping, especially IKEA.
    Around these parts, that's known as Dykea...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner

....and don't you dare forget Primary Election Day. A very important holiday!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Vote? Isn't that a conflict of interest for a municipal employee to be voting for local government officials?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Vote? Isn't that a conflict of interest for a municipal employee to be voting for local government officials?
    God, No, it is an attempt (ok, usually in vain) to preserve your sanity!

Registered
    Dec 2002

Actually many municipalities that give employees the Friday after Thanksgiving off do so by trading another holiday. The # of holidays per year remains the same but the employees have some flexibility in determining which days.

By the way, Columbus Day seems to be the holiday most commonly given up in favor of the day after Thanksgiving.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Eh....nobody asked you to chime in with "We trade one useless holiday in for another...."

Back to your corner!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Don't mind Mikey there Jill. He's just PO'd 'cause he gave up his cushy public service job for a gig as Satan's little helper.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. plans this holiday weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 16 Jun 2005, 4:12 PM
  2. Holiday Weekend!! What you doin?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 09 Oct 2004, 6:31 AM
  3. Replies: 2