Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Speaking of urinals....

Registered
    Feb 2002

Speaking of urinals....

I am so excited! What is this you say...excited 'bout a urinal???

((drum roll please))

Chad and I, along with a buttload (pun intented) of people, are going to the Trenary Annual Outhouse Races in the great ole UP of MI. It is the end of February, and there is about 15 of us going to stay in Marquette (where my sister lives) the whole weekend. Friday night we are going to the Up North Lodge for dinner and a flippen sleigh ride. Isn't that cool??? Only in the UP ay? Then, on Saturday, we are going to the races - our first time ever, and we are purty darn excited! We're not going to actually race them, just watch and drink lots to stay warm.

This is the entire town of Trenary (not including the steel structure fire hall and church shown in the next picture):

Fire hall, and Chad's favorite outhouse ((and probably Mikes too)):

Just had to share in my excitement......and show some of the hilljack/redneck side of myself

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Around the end of February, I'll be knee deep into the Mardi Gras season, but that urinal festival sort of puts things into perspective for me. LOL :p

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think this weekend we are having concrete toboggan races. I have no idea what this is...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sure, you show a picture of downtown Trenary, but you left out their streetscape! Two banners, if I remember correctly.

There are some ice caves that form not far from there. If you get the chance you should make the trek to see them.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wow, the things they will race. I've seen a bed race once, but that's about it. I've got to go find the good races-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Sure, you show a picture of downtown Trenary, but you left out their streetscape! Two banners, if I remember correctly.

There are some ice caves that form not far from there. If you get the chance you should make the trek to see them.
    Have you been there? Sorry, no pictures of the streetscapes - apparently I focused on the bars and the firestation. I'll take lots of pictures and post the clean ones ((hahaha)) when we get back. I'll ask my sister about the ice caves... that sounds cool too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I go to Pictured Rocks at least once a year, and have to pass through Trenary on the way to Munising. Have you been to the micro-brewery in Grand Marais?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Nope - haven't been that way in ages! We used to go to the UP every year for a week when we were little and we HATED it. We wanted to go somewhere "cool". Now, I would love to live up there - no. 1 to be closer to my sister, and no. 2 just because I love it up there.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Ever been to the Apostle Islands

I love the U.P. and the Da Yoopers. When I was 10 or 11 I saw them in concern in Madison. They are great. Additionally, I have familiy in Bayfield and Washburn and have always wanted to sea kayak in the caves. I have walked along them in the winter but that is always a little nerve racking.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Speaking of urinals....

Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Chad and I, along with a buttload (pun intented) of people, are going to the Trenary Annual Outhouse Races in the great ole UP of MI.
    Is that how Yoopers celebrate Evacuation Day?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    lol Dan thats low, real low

but i like it!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The ice caves from the outside.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    From the inside, first photo.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Inside, second photo.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While you are there, you may want to check out Lake Superior.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One last photo.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'll try to get to see them - they look awesome! Where are they? How far from the Trenary/Marquette area? Definately will hit Lake Superior as my sister lives really close to Presque Isle - I love that place!

Pray for cold weather, because at this rate, we will be shat out of luck (pun intended again) for all winter activity. Actually, I think it's getting better though....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Speaking to a Planner
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Mar 2011, 2:10 PM
  2. Speaking of 'Teardowns™'....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 10:02 AM
  3. Legalese speaking
    Introduce Yourself