Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Kid on the Block at Your Next Planning Board Meeting?

Registered
    Nov 2002

New Kid on the Block at Your Next Planning Board Meeting?

I saw on TV that Jordan Knight formerly of New Kids on the Block is a developer of high-end condos in the Boston area. That means this man could someday be dancing in front of your local Planning Board.

He was the shy one.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why does this not surprise me?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Correction!!! That's JON Knight, not Jordan. I'm sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

I hated them in high school because all the girls I liked, liked them instead. That would be reason enough to shoot down his development proposal.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I hated them in high school because all the girls I liked, liked them instead.
    Awww, that is so sad!!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    One of my highschool girlfriends almost passed out from hyperventilation at a NKOTB concert when she *swears* Joey looked right at her. hee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wonder if his plan has.............................. *The Right Stuff*

Sorry, couldnt hold back any longer...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh ....

Oh Oh Oh Oh...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by SW MI Planner

Awww, that is so sad!!
    I thought it was sad too until I realized hey maybe the girls who like NKOTB won't realistically go for my jean jacket, bushy mullet and Anthrax t-shirt look.

By the way were "hicks" and "guidos" 80's stylistic categories everywhere or was just a regional thing?

We has this very strange girl in High School who told everyone that she was dating one of them. I think Jordan. She would tell us how he called her from his tour bus and stuff. Of couse my friends and I were kind of a-holes in high school, so we egged her on and encouraged her lies, then mocked her. Looking back, that was pretty mean of us, but when you lie about that type of stuff you kind of open yourself up to mocking.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Seabishop

I thought it was sad too until I realized hey maybe the girls who like NKOTB won't realistically go for my jean jacket, bushy mullet and Anthrax t-shirt look.

By the way were "hicks" and "guidos" 80's stylistic categories everywhere or was just a regional thing?
    omg! just choked on my tea. i had the biggest crush in highschool on a boy with a jean jacket who always wore his favorite anthrax t!

Registered
    Feb 2002

Nope, definately not regional, but maybe the terms would have been different. We didn't have guido's, but had the preps, nerds, and stoners/burnouts.....

My first boyfriend wore a jean jacket and anthrax too

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I think it was kind of regional. I remember a bit of that growing up in the 80's in NH....of course the "characterization" I still remember vividly was "jocks" and "buzzards."

Any guesses as to the "type" that fit into the latter category?
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2002
    jocks I can figure out, but the hell is a buzzard (besides a big ugly bird)

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    jocks I can figure out, but the hell is a buzzard (besides a big ugly bird)
    buzzards were the guys (and girls) dressed in denim from head to to, usually wearing workboots, that would hang out around the dumpsters sneaking in butts.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by NHPlanner

I think it was kind of regional. I remember a bit of that growing up in the 80's in NH....of course the "characterization" I still remember vividly was "jocks" and "buzzards."

Any guesses as to the "type" that fit into the latter category?
    Have you ever heard that song "Blizzards, Buzzards, and Bastards" by that band Scissorfight from NH? I think they have another song called "NH is Alright for Fighting." I guess Buzzards is a NH thing, I don't know what it means - maybe its the stoners who got buzzed on glue or something.

I never knew the Anthrax look was so popular with the ladies. My problem was I that I was an inner-city "hick," I always wanted to move to the suburbs where I could hang out in front of the 7-11 and feel more at home.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i hated the whinney new kids on the block type bands-still do
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 1996

Have you ever heard that song "Blizzards, Buzzards, and Bastards" by that band Scissorfight from NH? I think they have another song called "NH is Alright for Fighting." I guess Buzzards is a NH thing, I don't know what it means - maybe its the stoners who got buzzed on glue or something.

I never knew the Anthrax look was so popular with the ladies. My problem was I that I was an inner-city "hick," I always wanted to move to the suburbs where I could hang out in front of the 7-11 and feel more at home.
    Scissorfight's not bad....I've actually been meaning to go to one of their shows. I've only heard a couple of songs on WBCN and WGIR though....but I liked what I heard.

We called our "buzzards" "heshers" or "burnouts"

I was lumped in with the "goth" crowd, even though I was a skateboarder who didn't dress goth-like
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In Buffalo "buzzards" weren't called anything, because that was the norm! I went to a selective public high school, but the percentage of students wearing black concert or hard rock radio station t-shirts pictured in my yearbooks is nothing short of amazing.

In blue collar neighborhoods, "heshers" and "groders" still form the dominant culture. It's amazing, going to Lovejoy, Kaisertown, Riverside or Black Rock, and seeing kids with long greasy hair and jean jackets hop into primer-colored 1974 Chevrolet Novas with jacked up rear ends and stickers reading "Edelbrock Headers," "Holley Carburetors," "Hurst Shifters" and "97 Rock." Ricers in Buffalo? Effin' a what ricers?

You still see guidos in Buffalo, too. A local urban legend has it that the new Chevrolet Monte Carlo still sells for sticker or higher in the area, because of the high demand from guido buyers. Chess King, GM F-body cars, Kiss 98, Mickey Rats ... that subculture is still going strong in Buffalo.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hesher was a word we used a lot for our burnout/stoner crowd.

I haven't heard of many of the terms listed in this thread... but then, I came from he San Fernando Valley where we had our own language. Even though valley girls can call each other "Vals", don't ever call people from the Valley a "Val" if you aren't from there... as it is a derogatory term meaning "uptight, rich, snobby girl who lives in the Valley"... but somehow it's somewhat acceptable if it comes from another Val.

Really awful undateable nerd type guys were "bufu"... usually said like, "oh my gawd... he is like so grody... he is such a bufu". Or, if there was a whole bunch of unsavories you could say something like, "Gag me with a spoon this dive is a total bufurama".
    Last edited by nerudite; 16 Jan 2003 at 6:03 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Dan
    You still see guidos in Buffalo, too. A local urban legend has it that the new Chevrolet Monte Carlo still sells for sticker or higher in the area, because of the high demand from guido buyers. Chess King, GM F-body cars, Kiss 98, Mickey Rats ... that subculture is still going strong in Buffalo.
    Certain Providence suburbs are still pretty guido - some in a more upscale, suburban way. E. Providence to New Bedford is where the Portuguese guidos are.

The guido phenomenon is pretty interesting because of all the different variations - there's the old school guidos and also their younger brothers who are the newer eminem-style guidos. I also went to a "selective" public high school in which the dominant group were the more preppy guidos who wore Champion and IOU sweatshirts and drove nicer Monte Carlos. For those not familiar Guido doesn't isn't a derotagory term for Italians its just that slick, funky style.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Am I the only one around here who went to a same sex (i.e. all girls) high school where everyone wore the same thing day end and day out for four years?

Despite the homogenity, there were subtle differences that allowed everyone to be categorized into something but I don't recall the exact names. There were the sluts, heavy metal chicks, the preppy princesses who were really sluts and druggies, the super smart but still somewhat cool girls, the smart and flat out geeks, the not-so-smart geeks, then the rest of us.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 1:56 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 May 2006, 11:04 AM
  3. Planning board training
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 31 Aug 2005, 11:02 AM
  4. Your longest board meeting
    Make No Small Plans