Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Manchester UK

Registered
    Nov 2001

Manchester UK

It is almost time for the annual pilgramage to United Kingdom...

Last year, a buddy and I decided that we have grown weary of drinking in Milwaukee and the States, and we needed a change of venue. So, we flew to London for the weekend to drink, and decided we must do it every year.

As we were out drinking last night, we have focused on Manchester. We are looking at the end of March (more lead time than the one week last time). I am calling on the Cyburbia "throbbing brain" and the UK planners to provide me with info.

What area of the City should we stay in? Hotels? Pubs to visit? Clubs to visit? Anything else to see besides the Boddingtons Brewery? Local bands to see? And Oasis is no longer a local band. Stalk Posh and Becks? Though a I more of a Michael Owen fan...

We will be attending a football match, or two... Don't know yet if it will entail a jaunt to Maine Road, Old Trafford, or Bolton. Maybe run over to Anfield or Goodison Road... Will tix be difficult to come by? Is there a train between Manchester and Liverpool?

Oh, and when is Coupling on the tele?? Can't miss that.

I live in the wrong country. And planning jobs avail. in the UK??

Any info is appreciated.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Manchester UK

Originally posted by prudence
    It is almost time for the annual pilgramage to United Kingdom...

Last year, a buddy and I decided that we have grown weary of drinking in Milwaukee and the States, and we needed a change of venue. So, we flew to London for the weekend to drink, and decided we must do it every year.

BTurk pays you too much!

Registered
    Nov 2001

Now, now.

Remember, I don't have a wife or kids.

I do have a good buddy who works for American Airlines. He sets us up...besides, airfare is generally inexpensive.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll ask one of the British planners I work with here; we were discussing that very subject at happy hour yesterday.

(This message will be edited with the answer when I get it.)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My grandma's hometown is just north of Manchester. I haven't been in three years now - my wife and I are hoping to go over in April/May this year.

I'm not too up on the club scene in Manchester - I was reading an article somewhere not too long ago though that mentioned all the hip places there - and there are lots. The club scene is still booming. Boddington's is a must, as is the set of Coronation Street...(Granada Studios). Downtown is very interesting, especially seeing all the work that's been done since a large chunk of it was blown up by the IRA. There is a new branch of the Imperial War Musuem (designed by Daniel Libeskind).

I'd recommend the Picadilly area for a hotel, as it's central to everything.

Yes, there is a train that connnects Manchester and Liverpool. Probably fairly frequent too. It's not that long a trip, so the fares probably aren't too bad either. There is an online journey planning service for railways in Britain, but I can't remember the link. Liverpool is a great city to wander in.

Football tix - Man U is probably hard to get. Liverpool too. Bolton would be dead easy as they suck. Blackburn isn't too far away. I'm a Rovers supporter so that'd be my choice! Man City would also probably easy too. A word to the wise - from what I recall, there is no such thing as "neutral" seating. If you're there to support a particular team, make sure you get seats in that area...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Manchester....the birthplace of "Manchester House" ... the clubs over there are supposedly amazing. You should have a blast.

Oddly enough considering how near I've lived to Manchester, I've never gone out there. However, I have a few friends (computer geeks) who work/live there, so if you want to be baby sat, I could ask them. Or I can ask them about good places to go, instead . One thing I do know is, Manchester to Liverpool trains are mainly virgin trains. If you really want to go to Liverpool, be very relaxed about what time you get there.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Journeymouse
    One thing I do know is, Manchester to Liverpool trains are mainly virgin trains.
    It's not what you're thinking Prudence (and others)...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Cool city, stayed at an old textile warehouse when I was there, was either on Portland Street or George Street, very cool 30 quid a night, not too shabby. Check out the FAB café, on the same street, it’s a science fiction themed club, yes Dr. Who fans that is a Darlyc (sp) on the dance floor, had pound fifty Carlsberg draws last time I was there.

Things to do, I assume you are a planner, YOU MUST GO TO URBIS, the new museum of urbanism, the displays are ok, but the building its self is amazing. While there check out the Printworks next door, former printing company redone as an interior pedestrian street, pretty touristy but very cool (my fist degree was architecture so I dig the spaces)

The city center has been redone since the IRA blew it up in 1996 (no one killed except the poor unwanted brutalist buildings) they did a good job of rebuilding the public spaces and there still are one or two examples of pure English brutalism around to wet your appetite (probably for hate, the only people who like brutalism are other architects, we are a sick, but happy bunch)

Check out the Imperial War museum by Daniel Liebskin, good example of deconstructivism, the grandson of brutalism, just to reassure you that the place has not gone soft. It is across the river from the Lowery center, Check out Lowry’s work, he was not trained as an artist, but did some of the coolest modern paintings (Think of Status Quo’s “Pictures of Matchstick men”)

The canals are cool, lot of good, hip, new stuff going on around them, can usually stumble across a good pub around there. Urban Splash is the company that has been the force behind the resurrection of Manchester and they have done an excellent job. They have a good website to check out there best work before you go, but my favorite is the Boxworks, a residential conversion of an old warehouse.

Great Indian restaurants south of the city center, but Metrolink the tram system does not go there.

Forget about seeing United (who would want to anyway…..just kidding) but you might be able to catch Man City, who is now playing in the premier league.

Alas, the music scene there is not what it once was, the Hacienda was torn down for swanky new flats (imagine living in the place where Morrissey got depressed for the first time and felt the need to tell the world how miserable he was) Urbis does pay homage to the most depressed Mancunian though. I am sure you can find some good live music, but the “24 hour party people” days of Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, and Charlatans are gone.

Liverpool is only 40 minutes away by train (frequent service) but has not seen the economic prosperity of its favorite footy rival, spend a day there at least, check out the Albert dock, and the Tate and the Beatles stuff is there.

Hope that does it for you, enjoy
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Manchester UK

Originally posted by giff57

BTurk pays you too much!
    Actually, we live by the motto WORK HARD PLAY HARD.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    I found the area of Castlefield very interesting, with the canals and redevelopment of old mills making it an attractive venue. The Castlefield Hotel is conveniently situated close to the center of Manchester, and is across the road from Granada Studios. Deansgate Station, a few hundred yards away has frequent train connections to Manchester Airport. But watch out, the city is full of railway stations, and it's easy to get on the wrong train as I found out when intending to go to Chester (a walled Roman-era city about 1 hour from Manchester), but wound up instead in Liverpool. But it worked out OK as I linked up with a bunch of rowdy Dubliners on their way to a boxing match. Didn't understand much of their dialect, but after a few pints of lager it mattered not!

Registered
    Nov 2001

Thanks

Thank you to everybody who replied. A lot of great insight...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Howard Roark
    (imagine living in the place where Morrissey got depressed for the first time and felt the need to tell the world how miserable he was)
    It would be a dream come true...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Like going to club and dancing all night to the Stone Roses and The Charlatans UK.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Jan 2013, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 1998, 1:40 PM