Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Powerpoint Presentations

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Powerpoint Presentations

Do most of you present your cases to whatever Board you serve via Powerpoint or some other electronic medium, and what have you thought about it. We are also thinking about emailing their (Board Books) to them instead of making thousands of copies compiling the books. What have been your experiences with this?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    When I worked for the city, there was no budget to impress the commissioners with fancy schmancy powerpoints or anything of the like. Also, it was very difficult for the secretary to get the commissioners to email a response indicating whether or not they would attend the meeting. I can't imagine emailing them the staff reports and such and expecting them to print them out for the meeting. Besides, how do you handle attachments like reduced copies of the floor plans and letters from opponents/proponents?

At the City where I used to work, I helped develop the Power Point Plan Commission presentation and it worked great. We had been using overheads and the commission, as well as the public, loved the power point presentations because they were in color and clear. We also created a series of buttions that would open up other programs, such as the Citys GIS software, which was very useful.

The City where I work now is pretty behind (we don't even use the overhead that much) but there have been discussions about going to a "digital" plan commission presentation.

As for e-mailing the presentations, if the commission/board would prefer them e-mailed, I think it would be a good idea. However, some members may prefer paper copies so they can make notes on them and take them out when they visit the site. It can get pretty expensive for board members to print all of this stuff at home.

What you should do is have a policy that the applicant must submit however many color copies you need. We require 16 copies of everything that goes before the Plan Commission. That way the only thing we are making copies of is the agenda and staff report.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We send all of our staff reports via courier/personnel to City Council/Planning Commission.

Generally, we use a plain paper overhead projector that is computerized for our Planning Commission presentations as well as video footage from the site (digital via a computerized system). So far my City Council presentations have all been PowerPoint, but this is mostly because I take long range items to CC, and current planning stuff to MPC. We have a great presentation system, and the digital videos as part of the presentation really help out as site visits by Commissioners are discouraged due to bias interpretations in the Courts of Alberta for quasi-judicial permits.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We use powerpoints for most presentations, along with some additional AV equipment.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think Power Point is pretty much expected nowadays. Anything less is just ... well .. less.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Most of our visual presentations are done with overheads, taken from PP. The problem here is that almost no one has a projector and for the amount we need one we won't be buying one any time soon.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We use powerpoints for the big projects, but not for everything.

We still prepare binders twice a month with all of the petitioner info, staff supplemental reports, and resolutions for consideration. Like jtfortin, they give us all the copies.

We then post the entire package, except the large site plans etc, to the web. Here's yesterday's upload.

At some point we're going the require 11 x 17 copies of all submittals so we can flatbed scan them and uppload them too.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Our staff doesn't actually make the presentation to the Planning Board, the applicant's engineer does, and 99% of the time, they bring their materials on foam boards that they put up on easels.

And this is not a slam at the AARP crowd, but of our 7 board members and counsel, only 1 is NOT retired, so i imagine any attempts to digitalize board packages would go over like a fart in church. but the one non-retired guy does do his review of the minutes by email. which is nice.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    For my PC, I just make paper copies of reports, app's, etc. and we require the applicant to submit 15 copies of plans.

For council we are now using a 'paperless' system. Everyone council person got a laptop that they can take home and then bring to the meeting. The entire packet is on adobe acrobat, and they have access to everything at home or at the meeting. For huge plans, we have this projector type thing that you can lay something on it, and it projects to their computer screens and a plasma screen for the audience. It has actually been working very well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    In the juristiction I work in both Staff and the applicant present via power point, in almost every case.

Its expected and provides obvious benefits to not only the elected and appointed but to the forgotton public as well.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    For council we are now using a 'paperless' system. Everyone council person got a laptop that they can take home and then bring to the meeting. The entire packet is on adobe acrobat, and they have access to everything at home or at the meeting.
    We are supposed to be doing the paperless thing but we don't have acrobat so some admins scan whole reports which were originally done in word to e-mail to the councillors. This doesn't really make sense to me, why not just send the original file? Unfortuately many of the councillors only have dial-up access to so getting the files is very slow, so much so that the councillors complain that the their computers don;t work...after they have waited 45 seconds

I think the admins around here spend more time trying to explain how to use the computers and resending packages that it really does not make it worth while.

As for powerpoint, I use it sometimes. If have a lot of numbers or stats or if the presentation is longer I use it but if it is short then I don't bother. The rooms (2 municipal units) we use just aren't set up that well for presentations.

When I worked for the dark side they discouraged using powerpoint for presentations to council because they didn't want to seem like the big company coming in and telling the municpality what to do.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Powerpoint is the way to go

I use PowerPoint for all of my Board presentations. I usually don't have any text. . .I scan in the site plan, stick in digital photos, aerials, and GIS applications. With PowerPoint, I can also enhance the site plan or aerials by drawing in what the new addition, etc will look like and more details on measurements. The Board loves it, as it is clearer than overheads or photos put on the ELMO. I also hate shuffling papers to put on the overhead, especially when everything is televised. . . with PowerPoint I just click away. The PowerPoint is also a lot clearer for the folks at home watching the government channel. It takes a couple of hours to prepare, but when I'm done with placing the slides just so. . .I know what I'm going to say and don't have to use notes too much.
    However, we still send out paper packets of all the staff reports and minutes.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Powerpoint here. The City invested in a pretty nice audiovisual system about two years ago. It also allows easy simulcasting of meetings on the local public access channel.

Our Planning Commission only sees the major projects, so we require those applicants (who are almost always capable of providing such) to submit a CD. That solves the "getting the drawings onto the powerpoint" problem.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We are still in the paper world for everything. Applicants bring full-size plans on foam core and I provide the staff report, etc. on paper. I doubt that I'll get my Commission to a paperless system anytime soon. Only two of the five even have an email address.

Our City Council is slowly moving toward a paperless system, but we aren't there yet. All of the Council members have a City-provided laptop and receive their packets as PDFs.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Nov 2009, 7:05 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 01 Dec 2007, 9:31 AM
  3. Public Speaking/Presentations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Apr 2007, 1:37 AM
  4. 2006 APA presentations
    Make No Small Plans