Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you vacation?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

How do you vacation?

I am reading a book about how to and why to vacation. My family takes a decent amount of time off, but it is always going to visit family. More often than not, our vacation leaves us more stressed than not. Between dealing with the kids, other family members, and limited time to do what we want to do, there is very little if any downtime to recharge.

In the book The Four Hour Work Week, author Tim Ferris suggests going dark electronically. This is something that I have never done, but I the book "A month of Italy, restoring the art of vacationing" the author Chris Brady suggests doing this anytime we vacation because 88% of Americans will use electronic devices to stay in touch with work.

Thus poses the question, how do you vacation? Do you feel more refreshed when you return or exhausted? How do you vacation with kids? Do you go someplace to visit distant family or is it someplace else? Have you ever gone dark electronically while on vacation?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004

HA!

Like every (99%) other American Sheep......on long weekends and sometimes by taking a WHOLE day off

As found at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...acation-leave#

Bill Maher quote:

"And finally, New Rule: American workers must get at least as much paid vacation as the Chinese slaves who make their iPhones. Did you know that 138 nations mandate vacation time by law? But one of them isn't the Republic of Here. In England, you get 28 paid vacation days a year, in Switzerland you get 20, in Sweden you get 25, in Greece you get infinity.

Now, as schools let out and vacation season arrives, maybe we should take a minute here to reflect on how it's possible that a nation so lazy that we invented the heated automobile seat -- because who has the energy to make body heat come out of their ass? -- can also be the only real country where no one ever gets a day off?

Here's something I've noticed when I visit our national parks. Everyone there is German. Or Canadian, or Japanese. Because they have the time to go to our parks, and we don't. (audience applause) Because our government requires zero paid vacation days. In France, they get a minimum of 30. Which is why French men always look like they've just been blown.

Even tiny, impoverished, war-torn Sri Lanka guarantees 28 paid vacation days. Don't Americans deserve a shot at the Sri Lankan dream? China! China gets 10 days. The people who make the world's electronics while a soldier pokes them in the back with a bayonet and screams, "Faster! Faster!", treats its workers to more time off than we do.

Have you ever been to Europe in the summer, around lunchtime? And suddenly you look around and think, "Hey, wait a minute, wherever the fuck did everybody go?"

"Sorry, American, it's siesta time! Now excuse me while our entire nation has sex in the afternoon!" (wild audience applause)

And Americans look at this and think it's weird, without realizing we're the weird ones. They have the right idea. The Declaration of Independence says "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Not "work, consumerism, and the pursuit of profits for Mitt Romney's investors". (audience applause)

And if we're the greatest, most exceptional country in the world, how come we're not having sex in the afternoon? 'Cause that's not how we roll. Even though we're the correct shape for rolling.

No, most Americans get two weeks vacation, unpaid, which they often don't even take, 'cause they're too afraid their job won't be there when they get back.

Our politicians love to brag, "The American worker is the most productive worker in the world." Yeah, 'cause they work scared. That's why a majority don't even take all of the few vacation days they get. Because you don't want to seem less valuable to your boss, especially since we live in the only Big Boy country where losing your job also means losing your health care. And then you won't be able to get the Prozac that helps you forget how depressed you are about having no free time. (audience applause)

I mean, for God's sake, having to cram an entire year's worth of relaxing into two weeks is more stressful than the goddamned job! You might as well stay home, sit in the baby pool, and snort bath salts!

So, in conclusion, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "But Bill, isn't mandatory vacation time the kind of thing your union used to fight for?" To which I say, "Union? You mean that old hall where workers used to meet and fight back? That's a Panera Bread now."
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Vacations are tough. And streessful for me. My wife and son bicker all the time and vacations are worse so because we are either jammed in a tent together or in the same hotel room.

Our recent trip to the Black Hills is a good example. My son didn't want to go. My wife complained about the drive and the time my son spent on the computer during the drive. My son complained about the wifi. I didn't get to go to Jewel Cave because neither of them wanted to go. really the only thing we all agreed on was the stop at the Red Lobster in Billings.

Basically, next year I would like to go on my annual vacation and leave them home. Except my wife wants to take the ferry to Alaska. Not on my list of things I want to do: take a long drive to get on a ferry to see towns I saw when I lived there and didn't like.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah......

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Vacations are tough. And streessful for me. My wife and son bicker all the time and vacations are worse so because we are either jammed in a tent together or in the same hotel room.

Our recent trip to the Black Hills is a good example. My son didn't want to go. My wife complained about the drive and the time my son spent on the computer during the drive. My son complained about the wifi. I didn't get to go to Jewel Cave because neither of them wanted to go. really the only thing we all agreed on was the stop at the Red Lobster in Billings.

Basically, next year I would like to go on my annual vacation and leave them home. Except my wife wants to take the ferry to Alaska. Not on my list of things I want to do: take a long drive to get on a ferry to see towns I saw when I lived there and didn't like.
    All the complaining......sooooo much complaining.......all the time......I'm with you!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We generally get along well enough on vacations but the last couple times there has been notably more friction between Mrs. Maister and Junior. Enough that it actually cast something of a shadow over the whole vacation. I hope it isn't something that will continue in the future or even worsen. I tend to take two one-week long periods off each year: one in June and one around the holidays, and the rest of the days I'll take off here and there when available or needed.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We just got done with a couple weeks in Phoenix. Most of that was spent with family and friends. We did a lot of little things to entertain the kids. They started getting a little cranky on the drive home though. I think a lot of times we just take a weekend and go do something. The zoo, drive out to KC, see the largest ball of twine, whatever is close and we can get done in a day.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Before we had our daughter, vacations were great because we could just sit around and enjoy the weather or sit on the beach and do nothing. Maybe we would go out to a fancy dinner or two or head to large park to explore, but really, we would do nothing of consequence. Now that we have a daughter, it seems like my wife insists that 100% of our waking hours have to be filled with some sort of activity that is away from the house or beach or pool so it's not like a vacation for ANYBODY involved. On our most recent long vacation (two weeks in Florida) my wife decided to try it my way and instead of each day being totally planned out well in advance, we set a few very loose goals (Legoland sometime in week 1 and water park sometime in week 2) and just let the rest of the vacation unfold as it would. I think we all seemed to come away much more refreshed.

Still though, planning a vacation always seems to involve an argument between my wife and I because my ideal vacation is sitting in the hammock or in the den and doing nothing while hers is getting on a plane and flying halfway around the world or driving 800 miles and multiple hotel nights. I combat that by telling her that I will agree to go anywhere as long as she makes the travel arrangements. She's so cheap that she will usually not actually spend the money to do so.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I like vacations. Really I do. However, I do not like the pile of crap that is inevitably piling up when I am away from work. My vacation requests are often denied because there is nobody to cover me since I am the only construction manager. Hey! Not my problem. If you don't want me to take it then you can pay me for it. Oh no, we can't do that. Well then, you will have to deal because I am taking a vacation like everyone else.

I am lucky in that RTand I travel very well together and we like to do the same kinds of things: arts, culture, history, eating. TheMan only ever wants to go to the Dominican Republic on vacation which means spending time in the countryside at his parent's farm. He has a huge family which is overwhelming at times because mine is so small. RT refuses to go to the countryside so she stays home in NJ or goes elsewhere.rt is deeply suspicious about people she does not know so she at times freaks out when so many people are in her space (her grandmother thinks rt hates her).

TheMan is happy when RT & I vacation away together. He says he is happy to be home with rt because she minds him and the two of us don't lol. We just got back from Montreal after 5 days home he's asking when we are leaving again. She and I are going on a cruise with friends in October, he did not want to go. TheMan, rt, and I will be going to the Dominican Republic for Thanksgiving and RT will be going to Chicago to spend it with her cousin and make a surprise visit to their grandmother. I've negotiated 3 days at a beach resort on this trip. There's no excuse to be on an island and not have a couple of days at the beach.

So our success at vacationing is that we travel by groups that differ depending on the destination and activities planned. Everyone is happy.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I hop on plane, spend the day in the air or in airports, visit family for a week, fly home. I do this two times a year.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Visiting family - summer down at Jersey Shore, X-mas in California.

Weekend trips here or there
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Most of my vacations since turning 18 have revolved around either political events, drinking with friends, visiting friends, weddings, short weekend trips, or some combination of those things. It's been awhile since I've had a true long, relaxing vacation. Taking the train out to see a friend in Colorado last year came pretty close, as did a weekend trip to Door County with my mom, but I feel like I didn't get enough time away with either.

Next year, I really want to take a longer vacation. Right now, I'm deciding between going to Florida all by myself and just laying on the beach, or maybe taking the train out to L.A. with one of my friends. I really enjoy train travel, but the return trip makes it monotonous. Maybe we can fly back.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Travel & vacationing is the main reason my wife & I don't have a giant mortgage and don't buy particularly fancy cars--it is something we absolutely love. We also have the luxury of no kids at this point, which simplifies the vacation experience. We do long weekends around the region or to visit some friends/family, but we do major trips a couple times per year & often international. As far as major trips, we've never gone to the same place twice. The extent of our planning is flight/transportation related & lodging. I usually bring along a list of stuff that would be cool to see/do, but there isn't a set schedule and we just kind of wing it based on our mood. We usually stick to places with good public transit. If I have time, I'll organize some of the possible things to go & see into groups based on a transit map.

I always go "mostly dark" electronically on vacation at least when it comes to work (I'll skim emails for time-sensitive issues late at night and forward to my staff), and completely dark on international trips. If I had one more staff member, then I would go 100% dark on vacation. I have found smartphones very helpful for figuring out public transit routes & rush patterns.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I guess I am a little different than everyone else here because I don't have a family of my own, and I don't have a family to visit either.

For the time being my vacations are usually spent trying to spend as little money as possible. Roadtrips in Canada or the US that include sleeping in the car and the goal of "seeing beautiful places" are common, along with camping here on the west coast...

Someday I hope 'vacation' will mean an extended stay in a foreign country and actually spending a little cash on having a nice time.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    I guess I am a little different than everyone else here because I don't have a family of my own, and I don't have a family to visit either.

For the time being my vacations are usually spent trying to spend as little money as possible. Roadtrips in Canada or the US that include sleeping in the car and the goal of "seeing beautiful places" are common, along with camping here on the west coast...

Someday I hope 'vacation' will mean an extended stay in a foreign country and actually spending a little cash on having a nice time.
    Don't despair, that was me & RT for many years. The great thing is that there are a lot of cheap travels to be had out there. Most of the foreign countries I've been too are super cheap once you hit the ground, the airline ticket was the most expensive part.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Music and cycling (surprise!)

Not the lie-on-a-beach type.

For the past several years, it's been my practice to visit NOLA during the carnival season. Every year it gets better, as I develop more FB and RL friendships among the local brass bandie population. Last year I had a local commitment on Mardi Gras Day, so my visit was earlier, and I returned for Easter weekend. That worked out very well. My bandie pards get me into various parades with different ensembles. This year it was Chewbaccus (the non-motorized sci-fi battery light evening parade through the Marigny).

My group appears at 3:15

And Barkus (costumed owners and their dogs in the FQ).

My group is at 5:00, the only band with two tubas! I got a smooch from Matt Perrine, in the band behind us.

I've traveled to a couple of the HONK! events; last year I went to the huge one in Boston. Arrived home to spend a long evening finishing up a home renovation project, then went in for scheduled foot surgery.

This year I rode the RAGBRAI tour with my namesake niece; her previous long group ride was 12 years ago.

My preference is for short day trips or overnighters. Next weekend I'll go to the largest Civil War event in my fair state, arriving in time to attend the grand ball (my mentor is calling, my fan club will be dancing). Sleep overnight in a modern tent (mosquito netting!) then wander around on Sunday. In a couple of weeks I'll spend Labor Day weekend at the straits, riding around, walking the Mackinac Bridge, riding on Mackinac Island.

At my HS reunion last weekend, a good buddy offered to get me into her pyramid scheme discount travel business. "You can take a week-long cruise!" No thanks, I'd be bored as hell...unless I was gigging it.

Looking at others' time-off comments, I consider it to be a blessing to be single and unattached. No troop movements, squabbles over where to go or what music to broadcast in the car. If I decide I'm not having enough fun, my plans can change in a flash.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Not the lie-on-a-beach type.

For the past several years, it's been my practice to visit NOLA during the carnival season. Every year it gets better, as I develop more FB and RL friendships among the local brass bandie population. Last year I had a local commitment on Mardi Gras Day, so my visit was earlier, and I returned for Easter weekend. That worked out very well. My bandie pards get me into various parades with different ensembles. This year it was Chewbaccus (the non-motorized sci-fi battery light evening parade through the Marigny).
    Do you fly with your tuba? I can't imagine the fees to check something like that with baggage claim.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I go to one of my condos...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I attend a state or national planning conference.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I have done that -
    leave for the conference either a day early or take the day after to get back home
    usually taking the long way off the interstate.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sick Puppies

APA vacations.......WOW!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2005
    We try to take the traditional American summer vacation every year. The nature of my job and having two school-aged kids means this makes the most sense. One or two weeks off from work is ideal but not always feasible. We also don’t have any family to visit except siblings (I sometimes vacation with mine and my sister-in-law lives in the same town as us)

This year we did a 6 day river trip down the Salmon River in Idaho with my brother’s family and others. Last year was a few smaller regional trips (Durango, Moab, San Diego) and the year before that we went to Belize for 10 days (awesome!) Next year we are hoping maybe Europe but if not, are putting in for a number of river permits. We really like doing outdoor stuff as you can tell. And the kids are great travelers. They get along better on vacations than when we are at home.

I am the ED at my job which means the more time off I take, the more that is waiting for me upon my return. At the same time, failure to take time off would certainly spell emotional ruin for me. This is a super stressful position that I struggle through every day.

Conferences can be fun and rejuvenating, but they are not a vacation to me mainly because they don't involve the wife and kids. Sure, they can come along (and we have done that) but its not like we all get to do much together if I am in sessions all day.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2003
    That is sad.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post

I still enjoy those kinds of vacations. I will get in the car with the boys (woof) and head of to a general destination with no particular plan. We will stay off the interstate, stop to wander around interesting towns, historic sites, natural areas, etc., and switch off between sleeping in the back of the Subaru or hotelling it, depending on weather, locations, and how we feel (or smell). The usual desination is the mountains or the coast, and we spend our time seeking out interesting sights and hiking.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    That is sad.
    You don't really think I attend the sessions, do you? I use the gov'ts money to send me to exotic places and do my own thing while I accrue more annual leave. Just ask a few Cyburbians.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You don't really think I attend the sessions, do you? I use the gov'ts money to send me to exotic places and do my own thing while I accrue more annual leave. Just ask a few Cyburbians.
    Listen to him.....he's Pre-Med!
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. On my own...for vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 08 Mar 2013, 7:48 PM
  2. Out on a vacation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7