Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Registered
    Feb 2002

Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

It's one of those days, and it's only 10am...here are some things that drive me absolutely crazy:

* People that interrupt other people when they are talking.
    * People that complain about something and don't do anything to fix it, or in fact make it worse (i.e. complain that their broke and go shopping and drop a grand in one day on needless things)
    * Self absorbed people that say their your friend, but when your having the worst day of your life, or terrible terrible news, they respond by saying "really, wow...well, I got laid last night and it was great and blah blah blah"
    * People that have a problem with something your doing and instead of having cahones enough to come talk to you about it, they b!@&% to other people knowing it will get back to you.
    *Husbands that act like they are two years old, and when you politely ask them TEN TIMES to stop what they are doing because it is annoying and they keep do it, then wonder why your angry.
    *Men that look at your chest when they speak to you, especially creepy crawly developer types that come into the office.

That's all for now...what are yours?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    SW.....I ditto all of yours with some additions:

**People who turn off the coffee pot at 8:30 a.m. rather than make another pot knowing that people still drink it during the morning.

**People who leave the coffee pot empty and turned on so that the pot burns so badly that it needs to be replaced.

**People who make weak ass coffee.

**People who take the last doughnut or the last of anything and leave the empty container on the table rather than throw it away.

**People who feel compelled to add their 2 cents to a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with them nor did it originally include them.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure the list will grow as the day progresses.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Dr's whose some total of their medical advice is (a) learn to live with it, (b)quit your job and move and (c) if it bothers you don't do it. this is teh advice I just received for a recuring problem that is now a year old.

People who hold out their professional and personal ethics as the best / highest and then proceed to criticize and attack other professionals with respect to their ethics and professionalism.

When at a party, people taking your last beer.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The coffee thing kills me, as well as the water bottle. Yesterday I set the new office record. I made 3 pots of coffee and changed the water bottle all before 8:30 am.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Indian Givers. No, I take that back.

- NIMBYs

- People who know nothing about football, but insist on making stupid observations and comments throughout the game even though they have no idea what they are talking about. It just drives me up a wall. Last year I was at a Super Bowl party and this guy wouldn't shut up. It got so bad that I went to another room with a tv on so I didn't have to hear it anymore.

- Self absorbed people

- People who refuse to admit they are wrong

- People who blame everyone else for their problems and never take any responsibility for their actions

- One issue voters - I can'e believe that people will elect people because they agree with them on one key issue, like abortion.

- People with bad breath that come to the counter. (I was thinking of putting a dish of mints up there

If I give it more thought I will think of a lot more.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 1998
    People that complain about high taxes, and then make us "remind" them to shovel their damn sidewalk. Then we have to send a guy out to hang a tag. Then he has to go out 24 hrs later and see if it's done, if its not, then, we have to send another guy out to do it, then, my assistant has to bill them.....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    salt piles everywhere, the roads are caked with it, and there areliterally piles of salt all over the sides of the roads and streaked up the middle. Its not ice or slush it is too much salt!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Impatient people and drivers, drivers in the breakdown lane even where it is legal,

People who never shut up,

Punky teenagers of all walks of life and (worse) adults who act like punky teenagers,

Adults who belittle teenage cashiers and waitresses for no good reason,

People who think that the character of their neighborhood is so perfect it should be illegal to live any other way,

People who really believe that the guy who owns a vacant piece of property should have no rights other than to provide them with open space,

Overly politically correct people and those who think that their hurt feelings require legal compensation,

Over-sexualization of every single aspect of American life,

Restaurants that assault you with way too much food just to show off,

Mexican restaurants that microwave everything,

I could join the 1,000 post clube based on this thread alone.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I second everything SW MI says and Planderella and would like to add:

**stopping by to talk only because the person you're really waiting for is on the phone- I have work to do and my office is not a waiting room**

**when it's your day to take all info requests by phone and at the counter- be here. Don't take a 3 hour lunch, don't schedule meetings on "your day", and don't make snide comments about the other staff going to lunch.**

**don't take other people's food out of the fridge- it's not yours and why the hell would you eat someone else's leftovers?**

**not giving change correctly- first the change, THEN the bills, and count it back and give me my reciept at the end. (If you do it any other way the change falls all over the place)

That's all, mostly work related.. and unfortunately one person in the office has all of these qualities. ugh. oh well, makes me grateful I'm not that person-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    OOH! Have another one:

People, whether members of the public or staff, that stop by your office because they need to talk to you, find that you are on the phone, and then sit and wait in your doorway until your off the phone. I HATE this! Do they think I am going to get off the phone faster? Nope, if not, I just make it last longer.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Cell phones ringing in the middle of movies... grrr......

Registered
    Mar 2002
    A co worker, anything I say is wrong, no matter what its wrong. I can't possibly know what Im talking about. I get annoyed with having to back up every thing with proof. Read "misogynist"

Bosses that change their mind and chew you out regardless ( a serious problem at my job)

People that use one or two words to express an idea and expect you to understand what they mean. when you say "thats mine" i dont touch it-then dont get mad becouse i did not do whatever you thought you told me to do with it. "thats mine" does not tell me to do all sorts of processing.

So much salt on the road that white puffs of salt come up after cars go down the road days after its snowed. Long lines a the few open car washes. My silver car is white with salt.

People that cant merge in traffic.

most lawyers-never mind i have datted a buttload of them.

give me time this is just some of them.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Inconsiderate co-workers. We have this lady who works here who thinks 1) the world revolves around her, and 2) she can come and go as she pleases.

An example, our receptionist/secretary was out sick 2 days last week. So this other lady, who should help cover the counter and phones, decides that she was taking a half day on Friday, when she knew that she was needed to help. Anytime she knows that she will have to work the counter and phones, she comes up with a fake illness, problems with her kids, or just leaves. Problem is, she really has no supervisor here so she gets away with it. I had to cancel plans to go to a GIS users group meeting last week because she decided she didn't want to work.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Yep, and another one....

People that come into my office because they need info (or whatever) and then their cell phone rings, they answer it, then proceed to have an actual conversation with the person that called. Just sitting in my office across the desk from me and sit there and talk. I'd understand an emergency, but for anything else, sorry - I've got crap to do. I've had this done to me a couple of occasions, and don't know how to deal with it....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I've had this done to me a couple of occasions, and don't know how to deal with it....
    Shoot them...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i had that happen in GSO, i asked them to leave my office and reschedule the meeting (of course my schedule was PACKED so it was hard) if they ignored me i got up and left. i had other things to do.

i admit i was a byotch but damn i got the job done and folks respected my time and space once i got em broken in good.

i used ot make them reschedule if they were late too. it was typ a 2 week wait or more for a meeting with me.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I could go on for hours on the lethal mix of jackasses and cell phones.... the phones ringing in expensive restaurants.... heck... I have even seen folks at the gym, on machines, talking away and yelling "you're breaking up".... uh no.... you just can't hear them over the drone of the elliptical machines and treadmills -jerk!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mortgage underwriters...

'nuff said about that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2002
    People who take their little kids to adult movies. I saw One Hour Photo (rated R) and this six year old boy a few rows up started feaking out when Robin Williams' eyes started gushing blood, and also when he held the other guy captive with a knife.

For some reason, I've always hated washing lettuce. I'd rather cook a big meal than deal with figuring out what parts are good and washing all those stupid leaves.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by ecofem
    the phones ringing in expensive restaurant
    Does the menu price really matter?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    excellent point.

But maybe a little more leeway should be given for phone ringing in a Chick-fil-a verses Chi-Chi Restaurant on 5th.

New one:
    People who smoke, then come in to the counter, then shake your hand when they leave. Now my hand smells like I have been smoking. I need some hand sanitizer in my office. God knows what these people have stuck their hands before they come in here.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    People who come into the office for a project and decide they want to have personal conversations with you, about their kids, wives, vacations etc.

Oh, and when they come in and say you are new here, no actually I have been here for 4 years, hired 2 people, and had one leave since I've worked here.

Finally (for now), when people bring there kids to the office and let them run around and touch stuff, then get mad when you ask the kid not to touch items.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't have many peeves... it's hard to annoy me most of the time. If I'm in a bad mood (which is rare) most of the things mentioned above (cellphones in restaurants/movies, etc.) will get to me.

The only thing that annoys me on a continual basis is when someone finishes all but the last sip of milk, juice, or whatever and then puts it back in the fridge.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Mods Pet Peeves
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 16 Apr 2007, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last post: 24 Oct 2002, 12:15 PM
  3. Peeves?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4