Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Tan Me Hide

Hey, zman......now that you are done watching the boy-less balloon fly over your homestead, please watch the attached video. Pay close attention to the frinal verse. Just for you.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-LmRNdQiQ
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    And what does "grinds my gears" mean, anyway? Does that mean you didn't use the clutch on the manual transmission? That pisses me off.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    "grinds my gears"....blech...stupid phrase.

I re-sent that, Sonny!

Signed,

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Two weeks ago, I received a call at 2:30 pm that my appointment for heating system maintenance, scheduled for "between 1 pm and 3 pm," would have to be rescheduled because the technician called in sick. They couldn't tell me that before 1:00?

So, they rescheduled the appointment for today, "between 11 am and 1 pm." I'm on a conference call at 9 am when I hear someone downstairs knocking on the door. . . I don't want to interrupt my conversation so I ignore it. Finally the technician calls me on my home phone and I put my caller on hold. "Yeah, uh, we're here for the service call?" I have to explain that I'm on a conference call that I have to get back to, and anyway I was told he was coming at 11.

What if I'd been away at work and planned on coming home for the appointment at 11 am? Being nearly 2 hours early and being late are equally inconvenient.

We'll see if he comes back.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Drivers who stop at YIELD signs when there is no conflicting traffic, especially at roundabouts.

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

How did you make it to age 53?

A friend pulls the "helpless" routine as a lifestyle choice. I experienced several hours of this yesterday on a long car drive.

--Roundabouts, "scary." Can't figure them out. What lane should I be in and who stops or yields? "Traffic's coming in all directions."
    Everyone travels CCW, you could just stay in the right lane. Practice.
    "I'd rather avoid those streets."
    ETA: the subject is not a Cyburbian.

--Nearby parking. Can't find a rock star space close to an old building DT. "I guess I wasn't meant to attend. I drove around and around the block, went home." Yesterday's jaunt: a two-hour (each way) drive to a very similar event.

--Social exclusion. Again and again I've heard about how rude and unwelcoming the existing participants were at this one event. Well, you arrived late, as others were leaving, and you set up across the room from the remaining group. If you wanted to feel included, you could have greeted folks, or asked someone to announce your presence. "But they turned their backs on me!"

--Highway detour. A freeway on-ramp was closed, and detours were clearly posted. This resulted in no additional time nor distance, but panic at the level of a major flu outbreak or a terrorist attack.

--Traffic, public performance, learning a new tune, selecting an item from a fast food wall, finding a highway exit, fitting items into a vehicle...

The irony is: I'm just a few months younger, and haven't married, raised kids, owned several houses, etc. You'd think that major life experiences would have provided some measure of training or stress acclimatization.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Drivers who stop at YIELD signs when there is no conflicting traffic, especially at roundabouts.

Mike
    Roundabouts.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A pet peeve which has been annoying me recently is when news headlines use the term "Granny" to make stories more interesting. For example, "Robber Thwarted by Granny with Baseball Bat." Usually when you read the story the Granny is 50 years old and isn't the frail old lady you're picturing.

People who double park when where is an open space nearby. This may make me want to bring the death penalty back!

Plus drivers who block cross walks. ah ah ah ah ah ah ah.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    The guy that turns left the second the light changes to green. Nothing like risking an accident to save a couple minutes.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Abuse of sick leave.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2004
    Bosses who think employees shouldn't be able to use their sick leave.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Bosses who think employees shouldn't be able to use their sick leave.
    Employees who use their sick leave as unscheduled vacation time without regard to their co-workers work loads and who make project scheduling impossible for their supervisors.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Don't worry ofos. Once the republicans take over again sick time will be outlawed. You will be able to make your employees work 12 hours a day with no lunch breaks. If they get sick- you can fire them.

Edit added: Sorry ofos. No personal attack meant. I'm just unusually cranky today.
    Last edited by imaplanner; 11 Jun 2010 at 3:22 PM.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    It bugs me when people sing the "Star-Spangled Banner" and pronounce "glare" as "guh-lare" or "gah-lare". It's a dumb point to get hung up on, especially since most "Star-Spangled Banner" singers these days fail miserably trying to sing it in R&B or gospel styling (you have to have masterful control of phrasing to be able to sing in such a style and actually sound good).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    It bugs me when people sing the "Star-Spangled Banner" and pronounce "glare" as "guh-lare" or "gah-lare". It's a dumb point to get hung up on, especially since most "Star-Spangled Banner" singers these days fail miserably trying to sing it in R&B or gospel styling (you have to have masterful control of phrasing to be able to sing in such a style and actually sound good).
    Here it would be the "Stah Spangled Bannuh."

Registered
    May 2005
    People who let there political viewpoints come through in every discussion they have or in every internet forum post they make. We (as in the royal "we", you know, the editorial) don't really care all that much.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    Here it would be the "Stah Spangled Bannuh."
    The RI/Boston accent. (but kinda serious, too)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    People driving on my road in the morning. I drive toward the bedroom community in the morning. Most mornings there is no one on my side of the road. When they are they never keep a decent speed.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    People perverting things (including selective analysis) that supposed to be sacred or serious for their own self-interests or comfort. This is especially heinous to me in Evangelical Protestant circles, because we already get a huge amount of (sadly) ridiculously accurate crap for hypocrisy to begin with. As Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." (I'd replace "atheism" in the quote with "people leaving and/or not entering Christianity", though. Then the statement is more accurate.)

I don't mind them perverting things in the name of humor, though!
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 17 Sep 2010 at 2:45 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    People who let there political viewpoints come through in every discussion they have or in every internet forum post they make. We (as in the royal "we", you know, the editorial) don't really care all that much.
    On one message board I belong to, some users have the annoying habit of being barely able type a sentence without mentioning that they're an atheist. If there's a threads about some upcoming religious holiday, they'll always interject that it's pointless and foolish, because "there is no God."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    People perverting things (including selective analysis) that supposed to be sacred or serious for their own self-interests or comfort. This is especially heinous to me in Evangelical Protestant circles, because we already get a huge amount of (sadly) ridiculously accurate crap for hypocrisy to begin with. As Brennan Manning said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." (I'd replace "atheism" in the quote with "people leaving and/or not entering Christianity", though. Then the statement is more accurate.)

I don't mind them perverting things in the name of humor, though!
    I side note on that it that I always get chuckles out of those Protestants, especially the Hellfire and Brimstone and/or Evangelical types, who have conveniently forgotten that Martin Luther himself often extolled the virtues of good beer.

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I side note on that it that I always get chuckles out of those Protestants, especially the Hellfire and Brimstone and/or Evangelical types, who have conveniently forgotten that Martin Luther himself often extolled the virtues of good beer.

Mike
    Even the Puritans considered wine and ale as "gifts from God"! They didn't allow people to toast each other because it wasted those gifts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

you scroll up and up and up and...

...up and up and up and...

...and up and up and up and...

you accidentally close the window

Registered
    May 2005
    The humble Facebook brag. I now only look at my feed once a week. Maybe. Its entirely full of either links to articles or people saying things like “fell off my gluten free diet this morning by eating a miniscule piece of toast. But at least I ran 46 miles yesterday!” I know, your life is way better than mine, you self-righteous slug.

Also, the recent flood of “articles” by people on such worldly topics as raising children or marriage who have only been married 3 years or have a 5 month old. Really? How much wisdom can you have at that point?

Speeding in residential areas

In appropriate use of the word “literally.” I actually heard someone say last week that “I was ‘literally’ waiting for the guy for like 17 hours – he said he would be there at 2 and didn’t show up til 4!” Um…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yogurt commercials. Why are they more feminine than even maxi pad commercials? I feel like I shouldn't be eating yogurt because I am not a woman on-the-go who's in love with John Stamos.

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Mods Pet Peeves
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 16 Apr 2007, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last post: 24 Oct 2002, 12:15 PM
  3. Peeves?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4