Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh, here's another one. To sell alcohol in this city you need a Use Permit. Applicants go to Tax and Licensing to get the state paperwork filed and don't get an understanding they have to get into Planning to file for the UP before their 60-days is up with the state (this is mentioned to them, but not stressed). Most applicants come in with 10 days left and they don't understand why we can't get them through the public hearing process in 10 days. A lack of planning on their part does not mean an emergency on my part and if they drag their feet I shouldn't have to fast-track the case to help them out.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    People who take their little kids to adult movies. I saw One Hour Photo (rated R) and this six year old boy a few rows up started feaking out when Robin Williams' eyes started gushing blood, and also when he held the other guy captive with a knife.

People who take little kids to ANY movie. Even at kids movies, some idiot will bring an infant or toddler and then all you hear is screaming or little feet thudding up and down the aisles.

People shopping with their cell phones on, talking to someone at home about which color/size they should buy. And the ones who actually go thru a fast-food drive-thru, using their cell phone to consult with another person while ordering: "Do you want them to supersize that? OK, hold on a sec..."

Supervisors who make changes to staff reports just because they can.

People who invade my space when I'm checking out in a store; I'm writing a check or waiting for my change and they've moved to within a 1/2 inch of me.

People who talk too fast when leaving a voice mail, so you have to replay it 3 times to get all the info you need.

People who crack/squish their gum in public; this one drives me nuts. Also people who chew gum during meetings.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    My biggest one is the lack of respect that female planners get from the typical developer/engineer....just because the planner is female doesn't mean she can't do the job or will be wooed by your "charm."

I've seen this far too much in other communities and with friends of mine that are female planners.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    My biggest one is the lack of respect that female planners get from the typical developer/engineer....just because the planner is female doesn't mean she can't do the job or will be wooed by your "charm."

I've seen this far too much in other communities and with friends of mine that are female planners.
    ......the politically correct pet peeve. How cute!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

......the politically correct pet peeve. How cute!
    Sorry...but a couple of my friends have been seeing more of this lately than ever before....

Adding a not so-politically correct one: Boards and commissions that have conflicting (and often hidden) agendas in dealing with development projects that aren't willing to compromise.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

THE FRENCH

but thats not really a pet peeve

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by nerudite
    I don't have many peeves... it's hard to annoy me most of the time.
    I wish I was like Nerudite . . but here's some more:

Women who wear t-shirts and jewerly that say "bitch" on them. You know if you ever called them that they'd either cry or scratch your eyes out.

Waiters who show off by not writing your order down and then messing everything up.

The word “cream-puff” in real estate ads.

Hearing the same stupid ethnic jokes again and again especially from paid writers – the british have bad teeth, the italians are gangsters, irish are drunks etc.

People who can never understand that the paper street near their property that somebody drew on a map 100 years ago doesn’t entitle them to anything.

Giant chain store reps who insist on 40’ tall sign when the mom and pop store they will drive out of business is limited to a little window sign.

People who show up the day of a planning board meeting expecting to be on the agenda.

Elderly surveyors who draw illegible, incomplete plans and don’t understand why the mean city staff makes them revise the plans to meet modern standards.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Hearing the same stupid ethnic jokes again and again especially from paid writers – the british have bad teeth, the italians are gangsters, irish are drunks etc.
    Hey, Irish One, this wasn't about your French comment.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Chain emails.
    People who don't put forth a customer service attitude no matter what their station in life.
    Doctors who think their time is more important than yours – the 30 minute sit and stew.
    The coffee laziness already well documented here.
    Rude people with power.
    3’s, 8’s, Calvin pissing, Mean People Suck, No Fear and all the other cultural pollution people insist on putting on their vehicles.
    Just about every possible form of television.
    The federal government screwing the old vets that were promised health care for life and now are on Medicaid like the poor.
    People that bask in a loser lifestyle and celebrate it.
    Harley Davidson riders who modify the factor pipes.
    Politicians without vision

Registered
    Feb 2002
    People who talk too fast when leaving a voice mail, so you have to replay it 3 times to get all the info you need.
    Oops, I think I am guilty of this...I am trying to get better, but I am a fast talker by nature....

Thanks NH! On that same note - I just finished a meeting with a stinken developer - it was him, myself and our 65 year old MALE engineer. The developer (male) talked to the engineer the whole time, and directed questions at him. Hello - I'm the planner, I can tell you the the requirements/process etc. Our engineer is great though - he knows how I feel about it, and he would look at him and say "That's something you would have to ask Chris (me)" and let me answer it. By the end of the meeting the developer was asking ME questions, like the dork was supposed to....course he was looking at my chest, but at least he was asking me, not the engineer!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Cell phone companies

sigh
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

The federal government screwing the old vets that were promised health care for life and now are on Medicaid like the poor.
    this is way beeeeyon petpeeve

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Let it out...what are your pet peeves...

Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    *Men that look at your chest when they speak to you,
    And from a male perspective...

*Women who wear very low cut tops with push up bras and get pissy when men look at their chest. Same goes for mini-skirts and legs...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    "C" words that are spelled with a "K" - Kim's Korner

When someone drives through a stop sign, and wave at you for being polite, when you were just avoiding the accident they would cause.

When someone sends an email joke and requires a "read" receipt.

When I turn up a good song on the car radio and one of the kids begin asking me questions so I have to turn down the radio.

Today - people at the market who stand on front of the bread I want to select and sort through their coupon file.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow... you guys have a lot of peeves. Last night someone tripped over the cord of my block heater and/or pulled it out. My car wouldn't start this morning due to the -40 degree overnight temps. It was rude and all... but that didn't even get me riled. I guess I'm mellower than most.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by kms
    "C" words that are spelled with a "K" - Kim's Korner
    I can't believe I didn' t say that. I especially hate it when its directed at kids - they will never learn to spell because of business owners trying to get around copyright laws. It will only get worse as todays Kim's Korner is tomorrow's KKim's KKorner. There should be zoning regs against this.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It will only get worse as todays Kim's Korner is tomorrow's KKim's KKorner. There should be zoning regs against this.
    Oh that reminds me of one - Bureacrats that think there should be a regulation for everything. Last time I checked, this was America.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Female pet peeve: sizes are never the same and every company has it's own idea of what the size should be-

Co-workers listening in to your conversations and then asking you over the cube wall about it.. if I wanted to tell you about the random lamma farm call- I would.

People who fall asleep in meetings.

Any person who always thinks something is wrong with them but remains undiagnosed. One up here says he's asmatic and narcoleptic- um, no, it's called being obese, if you dropped 80 you'd be able to get up the two flights of stairs and you'd sleep better.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Unflushed urinals in the workplace.

If you go through the trouble to zip down your pants, pull out your ****, expel your bladder, tap, put your weiner back, and zip back up, then why can't you push down the flushie handle? It's just one extra easy step.

MODERATORS NOTE FROM bturk (I know unlikely as it seems): Naughty word edited out.

- Businesses that are poorly run or that are not well kept, but insist that it is the City's sign ordinance that has caused the loss in business.

- Getting bad food at a restaurant that has recieved good reviews

- Residents who show up to meetings and demand to speak against something, even though there is no public hearing.

- Sports cliches like: We gave 110 percent, We brought our A-game, take it to the next level, not getting the respect we deserve, This team shows a lot of character, etc
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    People who don't wash their hands after using the restroom.

This is along the lines of using "k" instead of "c"

I hate these bands that all spell their names with different letters: Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn, Staind, Phish, Mudvayne, etc.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Planderella
    People who don't wash their hands after using the restroom.
    Sorry about that.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    People who fart in elevators... then look around like someone else did it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Beaner
    Unflushed urinals in the workplace.

If you go through the trouble to zip down your pants, pull out your c***, expel your bladder, tap, put your weiner back, and zip back up, then why can't you push down the flushie handle? It's just one extra easy step.
    Adding too Beaner's well made points...The infamous Mr. Drippy. Hey Mr. Drippy If you's gots prosrate{sic} troubles, wipe up what don't land in the zone.

And one more. People who are whatever political party because their friends are and it makes them more popular with the in crowd. I especially hate people that join in public protests to get laid or get a date or whatever other self serving reason posesses them.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Mods Pet Peeves
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 16 Apr 2007, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last post: 24 Oct 2002, 12:15 PM
  3. Peeves?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4