Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite bar

Registered
    Apr 2002

Your favorite bar

The thread on college drinking games got me thinking about this as well.

What is your favorite bar / drinking establishment? It probably depends on the mood and the company but what the heck name one or some.

As an Aggie I'll have to say The Dixie Chicken in College Station, Texas.

Whoop!
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    It's not around anymore, but I have fond memories of The Chug in the Village at Ball State.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: Your favorite bar

Originally posted by Runner
    The thread on college drinking games got me thinking about this as well.

What is your favorite bar / drinking establishment? It probably depends on the mood and the company but what the heck name one or some.

As an Aggie I'll have to say The Dixie Chicken in College Station, Texas.

Whoop!
    Ah- the Chicken- I remember going there a few times. I went to the Crooked Path a few times- Carney's and the Tarmagin(sp?) too.I was rather fond of Cedar Door in Austin. Usually found at Resevoir or Shuck and Jive in Dallas. Out here, we've gone to Bar Louie a few times, but haven't really found anything with great atmosphere.. maybe The Vine, but a little too much on the college side (drunk and rowdy).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Eightball in Ann Arbor. A locals dive beneath the Blind Pig. Low ceiling, cramped pool table area, and $3.50 pitchers.

The Revolution vodka bar in Newcastle-under-Lyme. They're a chain in the NW of Englnd, too, IIRC, so Prudence should be able to find one in Manchester...

And the Traveller's Rest - allegedly the highest (top of mountain not drug related) pub in the Pennines.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I think I've been to the eightball, but that day in ann arbour after a football game is pretty blurry .

My favorite bars are / were in no particular order

1) Sneaky Dees in Toronto, loved going there and getting cheap pitchers of beer and build your own nachos. Also a great people watching place.

2) The Dominion House Tavern, Windsor, also known as the DH/Ditch. Tavern running nearly continuously since 1800. Acted as the town hall for a while and was used during the war of 1812 as a headquarters for attacks on detroit. My roommate in second year did a paper on the history of the bar for our urban history class.

3) The Bridge, Windsor. A dive where the carpet is older then most of us. Missed a few afternoons of school there playing shuffle board and drinking pitchers.

4) The Trasheteria, Guelph. Great music, freak show of people lots of university girls.

5) Lorretto tavern, a bar in the middle of no where ontario, Highway 50 and Hockley Valley Road. Friday nights in Grade 13.

6) The Costigan, Edmundston, NB. A weird old movie theatre with a pub on one side of the projectionists booth / balconies and the theatre portion is a giant dance bar. you can sit up stairs and watch the show below.

7) the opera House, Miramichi, don't go very often, but it is a legend around NB. Friday nights everyone from 18 year olds to 80 year olds is there drinking and whooping it up. The bar is 5 stories tall and has movie memorabilia everywhere. including an alien in a tube. Not always the best place to go really drunk.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    My favorite bars are / were in no particular order
    What not the Bo??

My current favorite is the Library pub in Wolfville, VERY small but cozy.

In the past I have enjoyed Scoundrels and the Seahorse Tavern in Halifax. And, of course, the university pub in Sackville, NB.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    There is nothing more disgusting than the smell of a bar at 6 am. Ever notice how fabulous they look at night, all glittery, and lit up. But the morning after.....

It's because they deal in poison...poison I tell you!!

Obviously, I have no favorite bar.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I find that when I go to bars that don't allow smoking I am less hungover the next day. I think most of the hangover is actually carbon monoxide/second had smoke poisoning and not from the booze.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    A couple of Random one's from the places I have lived/played:

1. The Sea Grape, Fairfield CT
    2. The Black Rose, Boston
    3. McSorleys, NYC
    4. The Spigot, Hartford CT
    5. Nick's, Clemson SC
    6. County Cork, (Atlanta GA )I heard it may have closed...
    7. Irish Times, DC

Not too Irish now, is it?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Can't really say a favorite stands out. There are so many...

Registered
    Jul 2002

bars

The gone but not forgotten Walter's Cafe, North Water Street, Kent, Ohio.
    WALSTIB

Originally posted by bturk
    Can't really say a favorite stands out. There are so many...
    Yeah, here in Milwaukee we have one on every corner. Depends on my mood I guess.

In Milwaukee, I would say Paddy's Irish Pub, The Milwaukee Ale House, Mad Planet and Harry's Bar and Grill (the reason I am so tired this morning).

In Madison, Gennas, overlooking the capitol and the Great Dane brewpub, which has an awesome beer garden.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002

The Chicken. . .ah the memories. . .

Another Aggie here and The Dixie Chicken holds a lot of memories. Never had to go upstairs to 'talk' to Mr. Ganner about underage drinking, but I did have the. . .ahem. . pleasure of "working" with him when I was a planner for College Station. eek. He was known for cussing out city employees and he would get so flustered talking to me because he would try to watch his language. . ."Look here. . .ah. . .little lady." hee.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Bell's Eccentric Cafe located within the Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

GREAT beer, comfortable atmosphere, smoke free and a diverse crowd.

It was however much cooler back in the early 1990's when it was a dirty hole in the wall and it got all fancy.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Your favorite bar

Originally posted by Runner
    What is your favorite bar / drinking establishment?
    The closest one...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My favorite bar(s) is/are in the Kennedy School in Portland. It is a converted school that is on the National Register of Historic Places... various classrooms and boarding rooms are now hotel rooms, restaurants and bars. It's great because if you don't like the feel of one bar you can go to another without going into the rain. There is also a small movie theatre where you can eat pizza and drink a microbrew in your seat. If you are ever in Portland, check it out...

Oh yeah... I bounce between the honors bar and the detention bar... how appropriate.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Candlelight, in DeKalb, Illinois started me on a career of drinking. It was a great dive, serving Stroh's Dark in a frosted mug and Tombstone pizzas heated in a toaster oven. Nothing on the jukebox was more recent than ten or twenty years old. Unfortunately, it is gone and a bank drive-through stands in its place.

I now like the Great Dane and the Essen Haus in Madison.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Donk, I know the Loretto, I used to stop there on my way from U of W to my home in Huntsville when I was a student. Good choice. You forgot the Bullring in Guelph!

Another Ontario favourite is the Rockcliffe in Minden, the Empire Hotel (Joanie Mitchell) in Huntsville, the Sprucedale in ..., the Bayview in Huntsville, the Brunswick in TO, the Spotted Dick in TO and the Ceeps in London.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Ah the Brunswick House, the rumours of reused beer still abound. I heard that they recently renovated, no more picnic tables.

Only ever been to the Ceeps once it was ok.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yeah, the Brunnie ain't what it used to be. Sounds like Donk, Lenze and I frequented some of the same watering holes - Rockcliffe (my parents cottage is near Kinmount), The Trash, and the Bullring in Guelph, and the Brunswick House. I usually stuck to the Bombshelter and "Dead" (Fed) Hall on Campus at UW.

Now, I like the Rex (jazz bar in T.O.), but I don't get there hardly enough. These days, the only bar I seem to frequent is "Mayday Malones" - only 'cuz it's the closest bar to the arena where I play hockey... I wouldn't recommend it, although they do have Creemore on tap.

A friend of mine and I were talking about the Hotel Lafayette, in Ottawa the other day. Now there was a hole!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm a big afficionado of irish pubs:
    Syracuse, NY - Kitty Hoyne's - whenever I'm home visiting my parents, Pat Kane, one of my favorite irish singers often seems to be playing - plus, its where all the piper bands go after gigs, and after a couple rounds will play in the bar

Saratoga Springs, NY - The Parting Glass

Anderson, SC - Corbett McGees

Non-Irish Favorites:
    Geneseo, NY - The Idle Hour - Wheel night, maybe on wednesdays? - every hour they spin the wheel and that's the drink special - 10 cent drafts, 1/2 well drinks, etc.

Clemson, SC - Nicks -Same as George - where all the grad students hang

Meridian, NY (my home town) - The Colonial - total hole in the wall, but they have shuffle board! and lots and lots of local color.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    I'm a big afficionado of irish pubs:
    I'm looking forward to the Irish Pubs in New Orleans tomorrow.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm just looking forward to the pubs in New Orleans tomorrow.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by bturk

I'm looking forward to the Irish Pubs in New Orleans tomorrow.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm just looking forward to the pubs in New Orleans tomorrow.
    F*** you.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Jul 2002

bars

The Deer Park in Newark, Delaware has a lot going for it.
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Favorite Pranks
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 15 Aug 2008, 11:20 PM
  2. What's Your Favorite Color?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Feb 2006, 3:47 PM