Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The World is in MY Hands!! (as inspired by bturk)

Registered
    Dec 1998

The World is in MY Hands!! (as inspired by bturk)

Name a development project that you have single-handedly destroyed (or attempted to destroy) with your "closed-minded" planner views.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    There were quite a few at my old job. But now working on the other side I realize that these plans are approved looooong before they ever get to the planning commission (around here anyway). So, needless to say, I never had much effect on shaping the way a development looked.

Sometimes I swear the only time some towns ever even looked at my reviews were when they needed ammo against a project.

Outback Steakhouse. They blamed the City's Sign Ordinance and the fact that I told them there was no hardship to warrant their 40-foot high proposal.

About 200 car wash/detail shop proposals for a vacant gas station. Thankfully we didn't budge because we got a great coffee shop

Car dealerships

Walgreens
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Going to hell: a church wants to expand and at the first phase we waived the undergrounding of an irrigation ditch but stipped it had to get done on the second phase. It's the second phase and they don't want to do it now and said the waiver was so they never had to do it.

Awww..... but, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Jewel Osco

Added about $750,000 in architectural enhancements to pass our Plan Commission. I told them up front at staff meetings and they thought I was an A$$ for it. They proposed the box and got slaughtered by our Plan Commission.

TOLD YOU SO! TOLD YOU SO! TOLD YOU SO!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm in an "economically challenged" community where I would be told to hit the road if I drove anyone from town.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Project singular?

At my last job, I wrote a moratorium to stop the potential onslaught of vehicle-related businesses; the town was adjacent to a growing mechanical commercial district in the blue-collar "town next door," and EVERY commercial development proposal I dealt with (well, all but one) had something to do with the sales, service, storage, fueling or accessorization of items powered by internal combustion engines. The town didn't have much commercial zoned property; if all the proposals on the drawing board got to the application stage almost all of that property would have been filled; the town would essentially have turned into an auto mall. The moratorium allegedly killed off the plans of a few major auto dealers that were considering moving to the town from an emerging ghetto in Orlando, but I didn't find out until after the ordinance was adopted.

I stopped the potential uglification of the I-25 corridor and the then-emerging High Range commercial district in Las Cruces; the area is now heavily commercialized, but almost entirely free of high-rise signs and billboards. Supposedly, a lot of El Paso-based businesses won't consider setting up shop in Cruces, because they want locations along I-25 and the 150' tall electronic message center signs that are considered normal for cities on the Texas side of the state line. The PD supposedly calls it the "damn [last name] legacy."

I love when they try to get away with skimping and the Plan Commission just nails them. I get the "Oh we're tucked back in an industrial park, we don't need a nice looking building, landscaping, or screening" at least twice a month.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 17 Oct 2002, 4:55 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Sep 2002, 2:51 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Aug 2002, 3:15 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last post: 22 Aug 2002, 2:59 PM
  5. Where in the world is bturk 2