Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Aid for 9/11victims families

Registered
    Jul 1998

Aid for 9/11victims families

Ok, call me cruel and heartless if you want but, why do the survivors of the people killed in the 9/11 attacks deserve government assistance. My point is, why are they different than the family of someone killed in a drive-by shooting, or killed by a drunk driver, or any other tragedy that is not their fault? I was thinking, (I know, my first mistake), what if, someone was on their way to work at the Trade Center on 9/11. And just before the first plane hit, they were killed by a random shooting. Is that person's family not as deserving as the others? Ok, so you say it is because this was an act of war. What if the maniac shooter yells, "this is a declaration of war on the US", do they get the money then?

I really am a liberal and think everyone in need should be helped out, but I am having trouble sorting this one out.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Brave Man!

Yes, questioning the mindless and reflexive giving that has gone on since the attack is a brave thing my friend. I agree it seems that many Americans have no other way to express their shock and desire to assist than to shove money at a problem hoping it will go away and allowing them to say “I did my part.” I wish there was more thought behind the donations.

I do think the victims of this tragedy deserve our assistance because they bore the brunt of this attack for the rest of America. However, I don’t think that the families are entitled to become excessively rich from the attack. I actually agreed with the Red Cross’ position of holding some of the money back for other emergencies – despite its unpopularity – even with icons of the right like O’Riley. I don’t think that manufacturing “Tragedy Millionaires” is in our county’s best interests.

How about the young enlisted men that died yesterday serving our country on the front lines? In my personal book they are a little more special because they willingly stepped forward into harm's way. Their families will get about $300,000 when is all said and done in SGLI insurance and burial benefits. This is enough to ensure their kids get a state college education and the wife has a few comfortable years. Not much for a life of a patriot.

PS GIFF57: It’s OK to question things – it’s not cruel and heartless. Don’t buy into the Left’s philosophy that any questioning of something labeled “Compassion” is cruel and heartless. They use that as a tool to silence opposition. Most people don’t want others to think they are cruel and heartless. ( I do, but that is another thing entirely.)

Question things enough and you’ll see that the “Compassion House” is a house of cards. It’s great to see the look on their faces when you question the unquestionable.

Come over to the Dark Side GIFF57!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hate to say it but I agree. And while everyone donates to the victim's families food banks and other charitable organizations are getting less.

Registered
    Sep 2001

I agree too

Does anybody know exactly how much $ they are getting? How is this determined?

Registered
    Jul 1998

Aid for 9/11victims families

The way I understand it, they are trying to figure out how much to give to each family. They are also attempting to sort out if families with insurance get less than ones that do not.

What got me thinking about this was the widows going before congress yesterday asking for money fast. The news showed a family out side of a very nice house, saying that the aid from Cantor Fitzgerald would not pay the mortgage for very long. Made me think "mothers and fathers die all the time, why are these so special"
    Last edited by giff57; 06 Dec 2001 at 3:42 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001

TLiT

"They are also attempting to sort out if families with insurance get less than ones that do not. "

Typical Liberal (idiotic) Thinking - those that planned ahead and sacrificed, by purchasing life insurance for their family's future, will get less than those that don't plan for the future. Why not give it all to women, minorities and people with long-time same sex companions only? That is the new paradigm.

Registered
    Sep 2001

Old white guys are funny

El Gaupo, I bet you are an old white guy who lives in the suburbs and drives an SUV. Is your garage in front of your house? You sound like you are a hunter.

I like to piss of Republicans.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Yep!

Giff57,
    I reread my post. If It came off like I was calling you an idiot, I'm sorry - truly. I meant to call attention the absurdity of the concept.

Planasaurus,
    Let's go huntin' sometime, just you and me.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 06 Dec 2001 at 8:44 PM.

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Yep!

Originally posted by El Guapo
    Giff57,
    I reread my post. If It came off like I was calling you an idiot, I'm sorry - truly. I meant to call attention the absurdity of the concept.

Nope, I read it the way you intended. The concept of it all is more than a little weird.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Republican? Liberal? Conservative? Who cares about underlying and probably flawed political philosophy? El Guapo, you are probably a closet liberal trying to come with grips with yourself like Rush.

The basis of this thread is a good one. Let me put it into planning terms before it disappears. Scenario: A local radiator repair shop was on our list of nuisances to clean up. The business burned to the ground. No insurance. The locals created a fund to help him re-start the nuisance. They felt sorry for the owner not having insurance. And this is in the 'liberal' high plains.

It didn't apply in this case, but how many of us have a zoning rule 'if a nonconformity is destroyed by more than 50% of its value, it cannot be replaced'? How many of us have successfully enforced it on something more than a residential garage? Sympathy most often wins. Scam artists know this very well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Apr 2010, 8:28 AM
  2. Attracting families to cities
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Mar 2007, 1:47 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Aug 2005, 2:16 PM
  4. Our Scattered Families
    Friday Afternoon Club