Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: snow sculpture, or strange public art

Registered
    Dec 2001

snow sculpture, or strange public art

We have a Winter Carnival every year in January/February that brings thousands of people to town. One of the main attractions are snow sculptures that local business and individuals build all over the community. Here's a link to the Chamber's website, with some cool photos of other snow sculptures, the parade, and other events.

This year, the City is building a snow sculpture for the first time in anybody's memory. Here are some photos of our progress so far. We have to have it done by Friday morning, ready for the judging.

First, we filled a form with snow for the base. We watered it down and packed it well. That's me with the shovel.
    [IMG]\\Finance0\STAFF\Public\Users\Community Development\photos\snow sculpture\cyburbia 1.jpg[/IMG]

After it froze up into almost ice, we built another form on top for the sculpture.
    [IMG]\\Finance0\STAFF\Public\Users\Community Development\photos\snow sculpture\cyburbia 2.jpg[/IMG]

That form was filled with snow and allowed to set up, and the forms removed. The last photo shows the sculpture beginning to take shape.
    [IMG]\\Finance0\STAFF\Public\Users\Community Development\photos\snow sculpture\cyburbia 3.jpg[/IMG]

I'll post more pictures as it progresses. Hopefully the weather will hold and we won't get any more rain.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    None of the pictures are showing.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I tried to post the photos into the Gallery, but I get an error message. Maybe this will work:

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Here's the second photo:

Registered
    Dec 2001
    and the third photo

and I just hit the 60 second rule for the first time! Does that make me a junior member of the clube?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Interesting....
    just one question: what does it say? Mc Call? or what?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it says "MOCA!!!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It's a work in progress! It says McCall, as in City of McCall. The theme this year is Putting on the Ritz. We are doing a theatre marquee with McCall in stylized letters. We hope to have light bulbs made of ice to add around the edge.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It looks really cool, Bullwinkle.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    that's awesome! must be nice to get out of the office!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Your tax dollars at work!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Some awfully nice snow sculpting there! What's with the horse-drawn skier?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Some awfully nice snow sculpting there! What's with the horse-drawn skier?
    It's called ski joring. It's relatively new up here, but it supposedly is/was common in parts of Scandinavia. I haven't seen it, but it sounds pretty crazy: one guy rides a horse at breakneck speed, the other guy holds onto a rope and skis behind the horse, going over jumps and around turns. Sounds like a good way to get hurt to me.

And no, Tranplanner, we aren't working on it during City time. Most of the work has been done after hours. It's better to work at night, anyway, because it is colder and the snow is more easily worked. Thursday might be an all-nighter.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Here's a couple more photos. This is last night, just before we quit. All we have to do yet is put ice 'light bulbs' around the edge, like marquee lights, and keep smoothing and polishing the letters.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The beverage patrol came to visit and delivered hot chocolate and schnapps. We had a good time.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I wish I could put these photos in the gallery, but I keep getting an error message. Any help from the mods?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Bullwinkle
    I wish I could put these photos in the gallery, but I keep getting an error message. Any help from the mods?
    Nope....I can't use the gallery either. Dan's working on it.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We finished it last night/this morning! Here's what we ended up with:

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The weather was really nasty. It rained most of the night, and the forecast is for more rain and warm weather. NOT GOOD for snow sculptures, but we did our best.

Another pic:

Registered
    Dec 2001

We won an award!

Winter Carnival is finally over and the hordes of tourists have left town. The locals can all now relax and feel safe again driving on the winter roads.

Our snow sculpture won an award: Most Photogenic! In addition to the lovely sign (don't even ask if it complies with the sign code!), we won a check for $125. Those of us who worked on the sculpture are going to the brew pub for a party!

Here's a pic:

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sculpture/public art location criteria
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Oct 2013, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jul 2006, 4:46 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Oct 2005, 8:13 PM
  4. Replies: 25