Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The benefits of membership!

Registered
    Aug 2001

The benefits of membership!

Just a word of thanks to Cyburbia - After five years raising two smart whippersnappers without benefit of personal income or official recognition of my contribution to the GNP - The online community of Cyburbia says I have reached planner II status! Cool! - can I post that on my resume'?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: The benefits of membership!

Jen wrote:
    Just a word of thanks to Cyburbia - After five years raising two smart whippersnappers without benefit of personal income or official recognition of my contribution to the GNP - The online community of Cyburbia says I have reached planner II status! Cool! - can I post that on my resume'?
    Sure! However, due to "title inflation" at planning departments throughout the United States and Canada, a "Planner II" now is kinda' like a "Planner I" from 10 years ago. Ever visit a planning agency where almost every planner was a "Senior Planner?"

As an aside, in reality I don't know what my real title is at work, being the only planner for the municipality. It would be a bit of an exaggeration to call myself the "Planning Director," since I'm my own boss, but "Town Planner" seems a bit generic, and could imply that I'm not at the top of the totem pole. Maybe Guardian Of Development ...

I did rename my "department" the Department of Planning and Built Environment Services, though. Hey, when you're 50% planner, 20% code enforcement officer, 20% building inspector, and 10% everything else, it seems to make sense.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001

G. O. D.

Guardian Of Development!!!!

Sgt Gadfly reporting for duty - My township is facing big legal bill over court tussle with housing park developer from Bloomfield Hills. THEY wanted to put 690 mobile units on roughly 200 acres. calves on dairy farms have more personal space in their "weaning hutches" than thsepoor residents would."It's a planned communitywith walking paths." OH dont get me started, the final fight is a public hearing hosted by the property owner after all commissions involved have unanimously turned the project down. (Landon Holdings sued US first before any sort of plan was submitted by them}
    I've gone to several of these meetings, and theyre fun, It's been interesting too

AAACk lookit the time Allie has got to get on that bus tis AM BYE>

Registered
    Sep 2001

Re: Re: The benefits of membership!

Dan Tasman wrote:

Sure! However, due to "title inflation" at planning departments throughout the United States and Canada, a "Planner II" now is kinda' like a "Planner I" from 10 years ago. Ever visit a planning agency where almost every planner was a "Senior Planner?"
    Hey! I was one of those. After watching somebody be promoted to Senior planner only 1 year out of college, I demanded that I be promoted to senior planner too, even though I knew that in most other cities, that would be unheard of.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APA membership
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 1:08 PM
  2. Cyburbian Plus membership now available
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 79
    Last post: 20 Jan 2012, 8:10 AM
  3. ITE membership
    Transportation Planning