Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Use vs. form zoning

Registered
    Dec 2001

Use vs. form zoning

A local consultant has tossed around a concept he calls " form zoning". Traditional euclidean zoning focuses on uses (commercia l, residential etc.) not forms(buildings design, maximum setbacks etc.). I understand the basics but I want to learn more about it. Does anybody have any articles, books, websites that I could look into to get a better understanding of the theory behind form zoning?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The City of Rochester, NY is experimenting with this type of zoning. http://www.ci.rochester.ny.us/

I'm also interested to see if anyone has had any direct experience with it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    To a certain extent, this is the idea behind a lot of the New Urbanism. Seaside, Florida, for example, uses a code based on building forms. Some good Google topics: Andres Duaney, New Urbanism, Seaside, Kentlands, Council for New Urbanism???

I have to admit I am sympathetic. I get so tired of arguing over picayune use definitions. Euclidean zoning is an easy-to- administer way to reduce land use conflicts-but it does encourage/facilitate the kind of single use sprawl that many (not all ) complain about.

For another alternative, check out a classic: Performance Zone, by Lane Kendig. This focuses on checklists designed to dientify and mitigate actual land use impacts with less erliance on somewhat artifical single use Euclidean zones. Fort Collins, Colorado tried some of these ideas at one point.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    There was a one-day conference in Chicago a week or so ago on that exact topic. Check the APA website for the article - there might be links there or a list of references.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm not sure if what you call form zoning is what we've done up here, but Toronto has experimented with changing the way zoning laws are applied in two areas to rejuvenate growth. The results have been quite positive. I'm not sure if the attached link discusses the zoning changes, but it does report the results...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 May 2012, 4:25 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Dec 2010, 6:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 1:48 PM
  4. Form based codes Form-based zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 2:35 PM