Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Labron James

Registered
    Mar 2002

Labron James

Ok i dont normaly keep up with sports but this story has held my attention for some time now

Labron James

I have my own very decided ideas about him, whos to blame for the messes hes getting into, where his life will go etc.

But i want other folks ideas as well

"talk amoungst yourselves" *best jewish mother voice*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The courts today said the Ohio State Athletic Assn can only suspend him for 2 games.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Thought this was appropriate. I just think the whole thing is such a mess. This poor kid has no future outside of basketball. What was that movie about basketball, i think denzel was the kid's dad - his name was Jesus? Such a good movie.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You're just jealous cause he drives an H2 to high school....admit it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i feel bad for the kid

i fear 1) he will get hurt his first few years in the NBA or get mixed up with crime *why does it seem sports stars cant stay out of the way of the law?*
    2) he will end up with no education and broke in a few years
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think it's because of free will and that just because people have money doesn't give them class. I don't feel too bad for people who waste good oppourtunities, if he ends up broke with no education he can apply for federal grants and loans and go to school like other people.

Small edit: his mother bought the H2 for him- doesn't look like they're hurting for money.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I thought the big deal was that someone gave the H2 to his mom to give to him.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    I thought the big deal was that someone gave the H2 to his mom to give to him.
    From what I read, the little Ohio commision did their research and she is the legal owner of the car. She showed the payment book and all the bank statements showing it's hers.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    she says she bought it-but she only makes 30 some thousand and dont they live in Gov low income housing? Seems i read that some where

The kid has a golden chance to do something with his life-and shockingly good grades 3.5? too bad hes said he wont go to college.

[i]

Small edit: his mother bought the H2 for him- doesn't look like they're hurting for money. [/B]
    His mother boght him the h2 on a loan based on his potential earnings, not with any family money. From what I have heard, they are pretty poor. That being said, the only reason people are looking so closely is because he is probably the most popular high school athlete ever. If it was some rich white kid in the suburbs, nobody would even pay attention. Hell, I went to high school with people who got lexuses for their 16th birthday.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    That's simple economics: why go to school when you can start making millions of dollars? That actually makes sense-

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    That's simple economics: why go to school when you can start making millions of dollars? That actually makes sense-
    Sure...in the short term. I think he's really huring himself by not going to college.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hehe this is where im old fashion (hears Guap faint)
    i grew up in a home where school always came first. Always need a fall back. But thats just the conservative roots showing (now she KNOWS Guap has fainted, someone call 911 please)

Originally posted by Tranplanner

Sure...in the short term. I think he's really huring himself by not going to college.
    I disagree. If you can go into the pros and make millions of dollars, why would you go to college and risk the chance of getting hurt? College will always be there, basketball may not be. He should take the money, play in the NBA and if his career ends, he has the money to go to college if he wants. From what I understand he is a pretty smart kid. What I make in a year, this kid will make in on game. How can you fault him for that?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    It shows how pervasive the sports industry is. Young kids can aspire to make millions of dollars before they reach the ripe old age of 25 by relying on just their athleticism. Forget education or doing something more honorable with your life like being a city planner.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You know what, I can't fault the kid. When we were growing up we were all told, study hard so you can get a good job and make lots of money.

Am I wrong??

This kid is not going to have to study hard, sit through stupid general education classes such as philosophy, worry about exams, etc.

He's got it made. He is going to make more money in a year than you and I will most likely make in a lifetime. And isn't that what it's all about...... the BLING BLING !!

....and just think of all the chicks.

I think in the NBA you are judged by how many Play Station II's you cram into your SUV.

I wish I had that stuff when I was a kid on road trips. But No, I get stuck with crapy games like "license plate bingo" and "torment your little brother until he cries"

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    After reading an article in the paper about this kid last night, I realized that the real issue hear is:

Why are our tax dollars paying to put this kid and his femily up in govt housing when she can get approved for a $50K car loan. She can't get a mortgage?? I guess not now.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I understand the argument that if he has the talent now, why not let him play, and make his millions. But personally, I think this is bordering on exploitation - the pressure on this kid to go out and make money and perform is immense. And I do have a bit of problem in sending a boy out to play a man's game - no matter how talented he is.

I bet within 5 years, this kid is not playing in the NBA - or if he is, it'll be as a bit player.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Boy playing a man's game??

Try men playing a boy's game. I just watched 100+ of my closest friends be sent off to war Monday night, some of them maybe 6 months older than this guy. I don't want to hear about any exploitation. He is living every guys dream...to play a game and get paid to do it.

He knows exactly what he is doing, what he is getting himself into, etc.

If he goes #1 int he draft he is going to get $12 million for 1 year. How the hell could you pass that up? Don't tell me you wouldn't.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I worry your right Tran, the pressure has to be unspeakable-hes sooo young. What if he cracks? Seems hes never had the chance to be a teenager, nor will he be a "young man"

oh the temptation will be soooo strong

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I was watching PTI last night (I love Tony Kornheiser!) and he and mike were talking about whether or not Lebron should be allowed to play. Both agreed that he should, but Tony's whole point was that all of the adults in this poor kid's life are using him as a cash cow, and none are really looking out for this kid's true best interest. His mom couldn't have waited 2 more months, until the end of the season to buy this car for him?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm sort of torn on this issue.....what makes Labron any different than a child actor or musician? But on the other hand, I also think its borderline exploitation. At any rate, it doesn't affect my daily life so I have to shrug my shoulders and say "oh well."

[i]I bet within 5 years, this kid is not playing in the NBA - or if he is, it'll be as a bit player. [/B]
    I don't know about that. It seems like the really good High School players can make the transition. Look at Kobe Bryant. He skipped college and he is one of the best players in the NBA. Same with Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady. From what I have seen/heard this kid is really good.

Basically college is a joke for most NBA bound players anyhow. How many actually finish? If Labron went to college, he would be there for a year and enter the draft next year. Plus in college you have the university and tv stations making millions of players who don't get paid a dime, which is in my opinion is reason enough to skip college.

- Homer Simpson

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by KMateja
    adults in this poor kid's life are using him as a cash cow, and none are really looking out for this kid's true best interest. His mom couldn't have waited 2 more months, until the end of the season to buy this car for him?
    That's the exploitation I'm talking about. Okay - all sports are basically "boy's" games - but I still have a problem throwing this kid out there. But yeah, I guess it's his life, and it's better to be playing a game than in a potential war.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New James Bond
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 20 Nov 2008, 4:09 AM
  2. Rick James in my City
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Apr 2005, 1:24 AM
  3. Laughing at James Bond