Urban planning community

Poll results: Oklahoma City most matches which of these in national presence, in your mind?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Little Rock

21 30.43%
  • Indianapolis

14 20.29%
  • Louisville

12 17.39%
  • Nashville

7 10.14%
  • Ft. Worth

15 21.74%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perceptions of Oklahoma City

Registered
    Jan 2003

Perceptions of Oklahoma City

Which of these cities, in your minds, most matches Oklahoma City in terms of national presence?
    Last edited by oulevin; 05 Feb 2003 at 8:53 PM.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I believe they are all about the same in terms of national presence.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maybe Sioux Falls or Omaha would be the first ones I think of.

I would say Little Rock. I have not been to either Little Rock or Oklahoma City, but I kind of have the same perception of both of them.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Wichita or Omaha in my mind's eye. Indy has that jazz OKC is missing.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nashville. Same population, one of two major sities in a relatively anonymous state.

OKC's presence seemed much larger in the early 1980s, during the oil boom.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I kinda liked Nashville. I did some work there when I worked for the dark side. The people I was screwing were very nice.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    I kinda liked Nashville. I did some work there when I worked for the dark side. The people I was screwing were very nice.
    Off-topic:
    Like ... a certain girl pictured on a billboard?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan

Off-topic:
    Like ... a certain girl pictured on a billboard?
    I am currently denying any paternity claims.

Registered
    Jan 2003

perceptions of OKC

Well, after about a week, this native Oklahoma Citian doesn't know whether to cheer or not. I simply see its status as a capital city of a plain jane state as the predominant impression. Going in, I actually thought Louisville and Ft. Worth would be the top vote-getters, split between its heartland and western characters, but apparently that's not the case. I've noticed the references to Omaha; in fact, I debated between placing that and Louisville in the poll.

Now let me ask all of those who responded to the poll: have you actually been to OKC? Being there and seeing it portrayed in the mainstream media (I croaked at some network correspondents' questions during the bombing coverage) can be two different things.

Registered
    May 1997
    Grew up not too far away and my perception is that OKC is more on the order of Wichita or Omaha or Lubbock than any of the places you listed (although I don't know Ft. Worth well enough to say)._Not to start a fight, as I have no real stake in it, but my perception is that Tulsa is Oklahoma's more interesting city.

Registered
    Jan 2003

OKC/Tulsa

Lee, you little...no, j/k. Yes, I've acknowleged the fact that Tulsa is indeed more cosmopolitan than OKC. When OK was a oil center, the companies would locate their HQs in Tulsa (for its scenic beauty) and operations in OKC, where the oil actually was. Tulsa benefitted from the oil barons' philanthropy much more than OKC did. As a result, OKC is much more working class than Tulsa, whereas Tulsans are accustomed to the good life, with a very respectable arts scene.

I will throw this in, however. That good life on the great plains has caused Tulsans to get complacent. We in OKC, however, passed a capital improvement program in the hundreds of millions of dollars in order to resurrect our downtown, and are planning another round of projects. We would not have approached central city development with such vigor if things were comfortable.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Well, I've been to Oklahoma City and each of the cities listed in the poll, and I don't agree with any of the choices. I would say Wichita, KS or Amarillo, TX are more similar to OKC. I place these in the collective category of sure there are a few things to do, a couple of good municipal projects that have occurred, but still just blah. Just my 2 cents.

OK OKC

My folks live in Norman. OKC reminds me more to Texas communities than the midwest/south. I've been in the big O (Omaha to the uninitiated) and they are more different than similar in my perspective.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm from Norman (go OU!) and, until recently, have lived there for most of my life. Unfortunately, most people's perception of OKC is related to the bombing incident. However, I would agree with some of the other Cyburia-ites and think it most closely resembles a city such as Wichita, KS or perhaps somewhere in the State of Texas.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Got me a ticket once in on I35 in OKC for driving with out-of-state plates 10 mph slower than the Okies passing me. I plan to return once it is annexed by Texas and properly subjigated.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Gee, it's not even October after the Texas State Fair...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I am currently denying any paternity claims.
    Good Choice. Angy-Mr. Clean-Man looks like he'd grunt. Then kill.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I chose Nashville for the same reasons Dan mentioned.

I didn't feel that Indianapolis should've been on that list. Indianapolis seems larger and more important.

Here is an interesting ranking of US Cities based upon radio listeners: http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRat...px?ShowAll=yes

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Good Choice. Angy-Mr. Clean-Man looks like he'd grunt. Then kill.
    Off-topic:
    Og smash baby. Then Og smash Cardinal! Grrrrrrrr!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I do note that OKC is one of the few larger cities in the USA that essentially completed its extensive 1950s/1960s era planned freeway network. I sense that OKC is a very spread out, low-density place, on a par with other similar 'Plains' cities like Wichita, KS, Wichita Falls, TX, Amarillo, TX, Omaha, NE, Lincoln, NE, etc, too.

Despite the state's incredibly generous-to-cities annexation law and the city's truly massive land area, am I also correct in my observation that the City of Oklahoma City is now completely, or almost completely, surrounded by incorporated suburbs?

MIke

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    I believe they are all about the same in terms of national presence.
    I think Indianapolis has slightly more presence then the others mentioned...it's the 12th largest city in the country and one of the largest state capitals (maybe the largest?) and hosts alot of national events....

none of the others seem to stand out any more then one another....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Wichita or Omaha in my mind's eye. Indy has that jazz OKC is missing.
    Off-topic:
    Indy has jazz? Where??

OKC always seems to blend in with Little Rock and Ft. Worth and other plains cities in my mind. Not huge, not that small. I haven't been to any of them (yet), but OKC for some reason seems a little more "cowboy" than some of the other cities on the list, like Louisville or Indy. Maybe just 'cause it's farther West.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Off-topic:
    Indy has jazz? Where??
    Off-topic:
    Slippery Noodle

I'd say Louisville or Little Rock. Nashville is known worldwide, and Indianapolis has plenty of national and international events. Fort Worth would have some similarities, but being part of the DFW metroplex, it really doesn't compare to OKC much.

Like Little Rock, OKC is a capital and largest city in the state, and centrally located. Louisville isn't the state capital or centrally located, and is just down the road (or river) from Cincinnati. So, I'll say OKC is most like Little Rock. (Aren't they on the same river? The Arkansas? Or does that go through Tulsa?)
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004

I think.....

OKC might equate better with Tulsa.....at least in my mind.........he he he......I suspect these might be fightn' words in OK.....anyone know.....?
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from Oklahoma City
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 6:29 PM
  2. Oklahoma City Bombing-14 years later
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Apr 2009, 8:35 PM