Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Versatile architecture: everyone is an architect

Versatile architecture: everyone is an architect

I am using a Masters thesis as a platform for investigating ways in which we as architects award more flexibility, and versatility to the user. Is it possible to design a space which can adjust in accordance to needs of the user? Can the user use a space and manipulate it regarding his moods or needs? Is a space not a reflection of who uses it? There are so many aspects to this subject and I would like to hear your views.

LPS - Portugal
    lsilva@intergaup.pt

Unknown
    I certainly prefer discussion in architecture.

The space should be a compound of user's and architect's opinions. Pre-made and stable compositions seem artificial to me.

I think it is also a question of purpose. Some spaces should be more tolerant to changes, other must be a little authoritative. In my view, an architect is the one with know-how about light, acoustics, climate, materials, psychology, etc.

The user's task is to clearly define his needs. And if the needs are uncertain, then the space has to be variable.

When the user starts living in a changeable space, he consequently will define his needs.

Here I have to mention the "easiness" topic.

I am not sure whether the changes should be generally as easy as possible, or should require some amount of energy. I can find several criteria for that (technology+money, individuality of user..), but in theory I miss the clue.

The relation space-user is bidirectional, however. User is a man, he can also conform to inhabitate the space.

Maybe that this seems like YES and NO together, but what I am trying to say, is : every environment is a mix from changeable and static. Everytime you design it you choose different ratio of those. The ratio is the outcome of discussion.

Some designers discuss only a few things, I discuss many things.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Sep 2006, 10:38 AM
  3. Architect
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 29 Mar 2006, 11:50 AM
  4. Architect on Simpsons
    Design, Space, and Place