Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worse Than the McDonalds Fatty Lawsuit?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Worse Than the McDonalds Fatty Lawsuit?

MEMPHIS, Michigan (AP) -- A high school senior says he earned an A+, not an A, and has sued to get the grade changed to bolster his chance at becoming valedictorian.

Brian Delekta, who finished 11th grade in 2002 ranked at the top of his class, says he should have received an A+ for a St. Clair County intermediate school district work-experience class in which he worked as a paralegal in his mother's law office.

Memphis schools award grades on a 12-point scale, with an A+ being a 12. The highest grade awarded by the intermediate school district is an A. Memphis High School gave Delekta credit for an A.

Diane Delekta said her son, who filed the suit Friday, fulfilled the district's work program requirements and performed professionally at work.

"It was what he would do if he were a paralegal in a law office," she said. "He prepared documents, met with clients."

The Memphis school board considered altering its grade policy to allow percentage grades from the countywide district to be factored into its system. The board rejected that option January 29.

"I heard ahead of time (that the threat of a lawsuit) was out there, but to worry about that would be wrong," board President Harold Burns said.

The suit names the school principal, superintendent and all seven school board members as defendants. It asks to have the grade changed and to have class rankings, due out Monday, blocked until the case is settled.

A judge is to consider a restraining order request Monday.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This kid needs a beating by his fellow classmates. He's only in the 11th grade, what's he going to be like when he's in law school? - or wose yet, when he's a lawyer like mommy?

I am so sick of these lawsuits. If I didn't get a good grade when I was a kid it was my fault, not anybody elses. There is no personal responsibility for anything in this country anymore. Some idiot bit into a hard Mc Donalds bagel and broke his tooth or some bridgework and now the wife is suing for "lost the care, comfort, consortium and society of her husband." All because her husband was too stupid to tell that his bagel was too hard. If you pick up a bagel and it is as hard as a rock, return it to Mc Donalds and ask for a soft one. Don't chomp down on it. Another couple is suing McD's because they ate chicken mcnuggets because they thought chicken was healthier than meat and they got fat. Yeah, chicken is heathier than meat provided you don't mix in all kinds of fatty chicken parts, coat it with breading, and dump it into a deep fat fryer.

Maybe they should pass a law that says if you file a frivolous lawsuit and lose, you should spend a year in prison...or even make you repay all of the companies legal costs as a result of your stupidity.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    jfortin - I couldn't agree more. This kind of thing disgusts me. I only think you don't go far enough in punishing them for this idiocy. Make them pay the company double its costs, publicly humiliate them by making them apologize on national television, and then deport them to France.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hear hear!!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

to France?? what about human rights??

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dammit, sometimes you have to suspend human rights.

Human Rights should be suspended for these fools!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    SInce he wants to be valedictorian, they ought to check his math proficiency. If nobody was awarded and A+for this experience, how much can it hurt his chances?

Shame on him and shame on his mother. This attitude should go on their premanent records. He certainly learned about nepotism. The kids who had to work hard to to find the work experience should sue, too, for not having a position given to them.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Who can I sue for not being a 6' 5" power forward for the Indianapolis Pacers?

I bet I could get some lawyer to pick up the case...unfortunately.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    So did his mother get to award him that grade? Both of them should be hung-

I hear Congress is going to try and pass a bill saying restaurants cannot be sued for people getting fat eating their food. I guess it's a "you're too stupid to realize this, so we'll spell it out for you" law. Why doesn't someone sue Coors for thier beer belly?

p.s. I may sue my parents for my boobs- I didn't want these things and I feel they are responsible.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    p.s. I may sue my parents for my boobs- I didn't want these things and I feel they are responsible.
    Can I sue my sister for having bigger ones and causing me untold mental anguish?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    or you coudl sue your parents for giving them all to her.. emotional stress and trauma.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    Human Rights should be suspended for these fools!
    No, then the folks at the Human Rights Campaign will come knocking:

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    Why doesn't someone sue Coors for thier beer belly?
    And then settle for a lifetime supply of Coors Light? Hmmmmmmmmmm...

(I'll refrain from boob comments)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff

And then settle for a lifetime supply of Coors Light? Hmmmmmmmmmm...

(I'll refrain from boob comments)
    You're one of the few!

I'd settle for lifetime supply of Guiness- no more calories than skim milk!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I was listening to the tv the other day, and there was a news blurb about the rise in binge drinking and eating disorders among high school girls. A poll showed that something like 75% of high school girls who participated in binge drinking thought that alcohol was very low in calories and helped you to lose weight. Did these girls totally miss 8th grade health? sigh.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Maybe they're drinking Michelob Ultra. I hear you can run marathons, climb mountains, etc with the stuff. That's what they do on the commercial.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    Maybe they're drinking Michelob Ultra. I hear you can run marathons, climb mountains, etc with the stuff. That's what they do on the commercial.
    How crazy is that???? A sports beer? Its more a commercial for Gatorade. good lord.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I read a related commentary in the newspaper this weekend. A prof from UNC, who is on leave to Stanford, provided a comment on "grade inflation" He says that he no longer gives c's to students for average work, it is now B's. He said that too many student's were flipping out over them and that the expectations of students and their families is such that you can't give out poor marks.

In my best old geezer voice, "I remember when I had a few hard fought battles for c's in school"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Idiots are everywhere and their level of stupidity has no limit.

Can I sue some deodorant company because of using their product I am not instantly covered by thousands of chicks?

Or can I sue Gatorade because when I drink their product I can't climb mountains or ride at 60 mph on a bike?

People like this make me loose faith in humanity!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    And to make EG proud.....

This can all be said of the idiots across America who think they can sue a gun manufacturer because crackheads like to shoot at each other.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja

Can I sue my sister for having bigger ones and causing me untold mental anguish?
    Lets make it a class action suit, my younger sis has got the bigger jugs and she's five inched taller than me too! The runt only weighed 5 lbs at birth, and now she's an amazon- But that is not all, she also has smaller feet than me! Oh the pain and suffering!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Jen

But that is not all, she also has smaller feet than me! Oh the pain and suffering!
    Insult to Injury! You can't even steal her shoes!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My team of lawyers is flying out to KC to serve Dan right now. During "Guess the City #38" Dan said my answer of Richmond was "wrong," while Denver was "right."

Any compasionate person can see that Richmond was not the "WRONG" answer - it was a "DIFFERENT" answer. All answers need to be treated equally from now on.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What is worse than R&B?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 22 Aug 2013, 4:03 PM
  2. Lawsuit ideas needed
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 27 May 2011, 7:06 PM
  3. Replies: 14