Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Medical zoning

Registered
    Jul 2006

Medical zoning

Hello There,

I have been charged the task of researching medically related zoning and development. So far, i have been able to find a handfull of zoning ordinances specializing in medical districts and i have found a couple of area development plans revolving around hospitals, health care product manufacturers, private practices, mixed use, etc, but i feel as though there has to be much more info out there. Any information or research direction would be dearly appreciated

Thanks....DT

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dathomp6
    Hello There,

I have been charged the task of researching medically related zoning and development. So far, i have been able to find a handfull of zoning ordinances specializing in medical districts and i have found a couple of area development plans revolving around hospitals, health care product manufacturers, private practices, mixed use, etc, but i feel as though there has to be much more info out there. Any information or research direction would be dearly appreciated

Thanks....DT
    We have an Integrated Care Community district in my town, meant to be an urban village-like atmosphere around the hospital. It's geared toward medical uses and long term care living, where the uses work off the hospital location.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Here are a couple articles on the rebuilding the New Orleans medical system, take a look if you want:

http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf...l?NOEJM&coll=1

http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf...ml?NSBR&coll=1

http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5050335
    Last edited by Southernbille; 25 Jul 2006 at 9:14 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check out the City of Neenah,Wisconsin. They have a special district around the Theda Clark hospital area. Sorry I don't have a link.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My municipality has a very high concentration of large medical and educational facilities that often have difficulty conforming to the restrictions of ‘regular’ zoning. Additionally, these uses have definite impacts on their surrounding that we attempt to mitigate. To deal with these we created an Educational Medical and Institutional (EMI) zoning district which we’ve placed over every college, hospital, large retirement center, rehab center, etc… in our jurisdiction. The EMI requires that these facilities submit a 10-year master development plan and update it every 4 years. This arraignment allows the institutions a break from the more stringent development restrictions in the zoning district of the surrounding neighborhood in exchange for additional review of new construction. Thus far it’s been a fairly successful arraignment.

PM me if you have any additional questions.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 1:15 PM
  2. Medical marijuana
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 5:20 PM
  3. So many new hospitals and medical centers
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Feb 2008, 9:32 PM