Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasty foods

Registered
    Mar 2002

Nasty foods

Me and Emu

That s*it is NASTY. S took me out to dinner last night, wanted to make me feel better and get my energy level back up. Took me to "Bilbo Baggins" in old town Alexandria. Nice place and you did feel like you were ina hobbit hole-the ceilings are low etc.

I'm pretty into trying new stuff and I saw "emu" on the menu and had to try it-im game! S looked at me like I had 3 heads. he does this when I try something he things is out of the ordinary though he admires my ability to try new things.

The...meal came, mine looked yummy, smelled odd but looked yummy. boy was I WRONG WRONG WRONG. I thought I was gonna loose my cookies with the first bite! S looked at me funny and asked how my meal was, I choked down the bite and drank some water (ok a lot of water) and said it was "different" and tried some of the veggies-they ROCKED!

I figured maybe it was something that had to grow on you and I had a big plate heaped with this-dead bird, so I ate another smaller bite. oh my god it was worse. I told S at this point that it was "gamey" but unique, not like anything I had ever eaten before. I was not lying-it tasted like I was eating the backside out of a running unwashed hippo.

we are talking more gamey than a deer that has been run. ok take the slight gamey taste of rabbit and magnify it oh 500x *im not kidding* and that is Emu.

I was soo hungry (being under the weather makes me hungry) so I ate all the shroomies and other veggies but I could not force myself to eat all the...nasty stuff. I felt so bad, I could not tell S how bad it was.

but im telling you DO NOT EAT EMU-GROSS

So what foods do you find NASTY
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Thanks for the emu heads up.

I think soy nuts are the most disgusting snack food ever. Liver looks pretty gross...I have never had it though. Cauliflower is horrible. I am also not a fan of ham. I don't mind ham if it is thinly sliced on a sandwich, but when you have your "Easter" ham with the cloves sticking out of it....bleeeech.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't like olives. Well, except in a martini I guess. Though I don't really drink those.

The only thing I can think of that has grossed me out recently were some deep fried little smelt-like fish I had in a chinese restaurant. Tasted awful - none of us at the table could stomach them.

Oh, and tripe is absolutely disgusting.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Louisiana has a real bad nutria (looks like a cross between a rat, squirrel and beaver) problem so many chefs have decided to get inventive by turning them into a delicacy. No thank you!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

I love liver and onions! Anchovies too!

Egads PG! if that made you retch that bird was past its prime of freshness, can't imagin emu being a big seller. Whats your guess how long ago it had been killed?

But my worst food combination is that cold creamy fruit salad with maraschino cherries and little marshmellows, like what's served at a church ladys luncheon. Oh that and also those oversized jars of pickled animal byproducts found in local taverns. And Pickled eggs?Who eats that stuff?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    i just ate refried black beans w/ lettuce/cheese/ etc for lunch

i'm not going to make any friends today
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I have no idea how long it had been dead-it was not still making emu sounds when it came to me. shrugs, all i know is that i had to get up at 2 points in the night to wash out my mouth AGAIN to try to rid myself of that taste.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yuck - remember the Mad About You episode where they ate ostrich for supper and had crazy, bad dreams all night?

I don't like fish very much and can't stand it when my husband and daughter prepare it and I can smell it in the kitchen the next day.

I also avoid cauliflower.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Artichoke Hearts.

Any piece of a vegetable named after an animal internal organ is bad news, in my opinion.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I refuse to eat salmon and brussell sprouts.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    I refuse to eat salmon and brussell sprouts.
    Brussell sprouts I'll agree with....but salmon is yummy!!!

To the nasty list: sour cream, olives, and asparagus.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

I hate when people serve yams with marshmallows on top. Actually, I hate when people serve yams, period! I also don't like that gelatanous cranberry stuff that is served at thanksgiving, yet I love cranberry juice. Seven layer salad is another gross food.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Chitterlins/Chittlins **shudder**

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Andy Dobson
    Artichoke Hearts.

Any piece of a vegetable named after an animal internal organ is bad news, in my opinion.
    Artichoke hearts.....ahhhhhhggghhh

*Homer Simpson Drool Thing*

As for my really nasty list:

Limberger (sp?) cheese
    Gifelta Fish
    Pigs Feet
    Mackrel
    Smoked Mackrel
    Pickeled Mackrel
    Peppered Mackrel
    Chocolate-covred sticks o' butter (don't ask)
    Butter Burgers from Milwaukee (never had one, just imagining)...

Pretty much anything in the "International Foods" aisles at the grocery store.

During "Hell Week" for the fraternity we had "Yummy Night" simply the grossest thing you could ever experience.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    so has no one else had Emu to tell me if i had bad Emu or if its just NASTY

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    so has no one else had Emu to tell me if i had bad Emu or if its just NASTY
    Can't help you there D....I have no desire to expand my culinary world to emu.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Emu is just bad. It looks bad, it sounds bad, according to you, it tastes bad......just bad!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I like most things and will try most anything once (OK, get your minds out of the gutter) but things I haven't learned to like/tolerate are: hotdogs; parsnips; sweet potatoes, oyster stew (smoked oysters are OK); smoked haddock (the yellow kind cooked in milk, blech!), tripe, tongue. I can't think on anything else right now.

I love caulifower. My iron deficient body loves liver.

I'm not crazy about peach flavoured drinks but that is more a result of over-indulgence (peach schnapps, vodka and peach jiuce, peach wine cooler, it came in 2 litre bottles when I was in university).

Originally posted by Mike DeVuono

Butter Burgers from Milwaukee (never had one, just imagining)...
    Someone has to hook Mike up with a butter burger. It won't be on your bad food list for long.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im with ya on the hotdogs-they were my fav food till i had to go to a byproduct processing plant that was right beside a hotdog factory

oh my god the smell was...lets just say its worse than Emu. Hotdogs are made from things that are not fitting to talk about in mixed company not to mention anyone who might want to eat in the next week.

now sweet potatoes (sp?) ROCK-i love em to death, even with the little marshmellows

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Louisiana has a real bad nutria (looks like a cross between a rat, squirrel and beaver) problem so many chefs have decided to get inventive by turning them into a delicacy. No thank you!!!!
    OT - The Daily Show did a big feature story on the Nutria that had me almost peeing my pants a couple weeks ago. Ed Helms was the correspondent and he was talking about how there is always so much focus on "Environmental Disaster" stories and endangered species, he wanted to do an "Environmental Sucess Story: The Nutria".

"Next time an enviro-freak talks about the poor whales, remind them that swamp rats are breeding at an all time high! "

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Even kosher hotdogs are bad?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja

OT - The Daily Show did a big feature story on the Nutria that had me almost peeing my pants a couple weeks ago. Ed Helms was the correspondent and he was talking about how there is always so much focus on "Environmental Disaster" stories and endangered species, he wanted to do an "Environmental Sucess Story: The Nutria".

"Next time an enviro-freak talks about the poor whales, remind them that swamp rats are breeding at an all time high! "
    Did anyone watch Dave Attel when he was in Lousiana and went nutria hunting? He was sitting in the back of a pickup driving around shooting them, quite funny.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Oh, and I'll eat about anything, but i don't like fishy fish at all. Haddock, Whitefish, Clams/Scallops/Shrimp/Lobster are the only seafood I like.
    And I was once served noodles in peanut sauce that i could barely choke down at a friend's house.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner

Did anyone watch Dave Attel when he was in Lousiana and went nutria hunting? He was sitting in the back of a pickup driving around shooting them, quite funny.
    I saw Dave Attel for the first time while I was "on sabbatical" - very funny.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Snack foods
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 15 Jun 2013, 9:23 PM
  2. Evil, rotten, mean, and nasty birds
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 01 Apr 2013, 9:34 AM
  3. Guilt Foods