Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Comp. planning resources

Registered
    Nov 2002

Comp. planning resources

Building Our Future: A Guide to Community Visioning

276 pages, University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension

I like it. Contains a good model for a comprehensive planning process that can easily be tailored for local needs.

Name your favorite comp. planning resources.

Registered
    May 1997
    I just mailed the first complete draft of my favorite out for initial review. The Sonoran Institute and National Ass'n of Counties expect to publish (tentative title) A Field Guide to Community Planning later this year. I have the UWEX volume you refer to and find it reasonably helpful. For resources for the participatory process, however, I would recommend obtaining the U of Minnesota Extension Services Facilitation Resources (in 8 volumes). The best of the academic textbooks is, in my opinion, Frederick Steiner's, The Living Landscape.

Overall, and I say this just having finished 37,000 words of an attempt at it, I do not think any one resource is adequate. Having put most of our books in storage as we rebuild this house, I know which ones I kept out, and which ones I had to go find. Some are technical references, like ITE's Trip Generation, that just can't be duplicated in an overall guide, some are case studies that offer an example in detail that you can't put in one place (Jean Richardson's Partnerships in Communities comes to mind, I think it is essential for planners in rural places, and relevant at the philosophical level for any planner), some focus on one aspect of planning in a depth no overall guide can devote. Daniel' and Bower's Holding Our Ground would be one of those. Perhaps all of us on Cyburbia should assemble an "essential" 100 (or maybe just 50?) book list for planning libraries?

Registered
    Feb 2000

100 Essential Books

Lee:

I think there was a thread on the topic of best books a couple of months ago. Here are my votes, on of which you already mentioned.

The Death and Life .... Jane Jacobs
    Geography of Nowhere ... Kunstler
    Home from Nowhere .... Kunstler
    Holding our Ground .... Daniels & Bowers
    When City and County Collide .... Daniels
    Saving American Farmland: What Works .... American Farmland Trust
    The image of the City .... Lynch
    Better not Bigger .... Fodor

These are not necessary Comp. Plan related.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Spanish Language Planning Resources
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Oct 2013, 8:50 AM
  2. Resources for proforma applications in planning?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Sep 2010, 6:07 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jul 2007, 8:13 AM
  4. Space planning references/resources
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 1:02 AM
  5. Wedding planning resources
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49