Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bus shelter cost

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002

Bus shelter cost

Does anyone have info, website etc...where I can get some idea of the cost of a typical bus shelter?

Thanks g

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Maybe this will help. www.handi-hut.com/

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I didn't check Seabishop's link, but the ones I did search didn't have any costs - I would suspect it is variable depending on the amenities and type of shelter. And how many you want.

We have a contract with an outdoor advertising firm to install and maintain bus shelters - in return they get to put up their ads. I'm not sure what the unit cost of a shelter was agreed to be - $10K rings a bell, but I don't have any more information. Sorry.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Bus Shelter Provisions

Is anyone aware of a jurisdiction that requires large retail centers to provide permenant high quality bus shelters as part of the site development process? I've seen photos of brick bus shelters with pitched roofs that match the architectural features of the retail center.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    While not required to be provided in Philly. the local newspaper recently printed several days worth of pictures showing old ladies waiting for the bus outside Wal-Mart sitting on overturned carts in the rain.

Needless to say, a bus shelter was installed within 2 weeks.

In Wal-Marts defense, they put it in with no objections, and stated had they known that this was a concern of their customers, they would have done it sooner.

The cost was around $2K

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thanks all. I had already contacted the Handi-hut folks and they quickly faxed me an itemized price list:

FYI: Anywhere from $2310 to $13315 depending on size, style, and other options.

gkm

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Talk to Lake County FL. They have the most hideous log cabin-style school bus shelters sponsored by local businesses. You could probably read the advertising type from outer space!

here in Louisville, the vast majority..some absurd percentage of bus shelters are owned and ran by the private sector...

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    While not required to be provided in Philly. the local newspaper recently printed several days worth of pictures showing old ladies waiting for the bus outside Wal-Mart sitting on overturned carts in the rain.

Needless to say, a bus shelter was installed within 2 weeks.

In Wal-Marts defense, they put it in with no objections, and stated had they known that this was a concern of their customers, they would have done it sooner.

The cost was around $2K
    Jeff

I saw your reply about WalMart and photos of ladies sitting in the rain waiting for the bus. We are trying to get Walmart here to install bus shelter. Do you have these photos or any further info. Shelters, with no land costs, typically cost from$10k to
    $15k (includes installation. However it can run higher if improvements like sidewalk, ped crossing signals etc are included. Courts are finding transit agencie and highway agencies liable for damages if a transit patron is struck by a car crossing a street to bus shelter. In fact one lady was disembarking from abus to a shopping Mall and the Mll owners were found liable for damages as well.

Brian Muldoon
    bmuldoon@howardcountymd.gov

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bdoon51 View post
    Jeff

I saw your reply about WalMart and photos of ladies sitting in the rain waiting for the bus. We are trying to get Walmart here to install bus shelter. Do you have these photos or any further info. Shelters, with no land costs, typically cost from$10k to
    $15k (includes installation. However it can run higher if improvements like sidewalk, ped crossing signals etc are included. Courts are finding transit agencie and highway agencies liable for damages if a transit patron is struck by a car crossing a street to bus shelter. In fact one lady was disembarking from abus to a shopping Mall and the Mll owners were found liable for damages as well.

Brian Muldoon
    bmuldoon@howardcountymd.gov
    Brian,

Welcome! You dug up a post that is over 7 years old. I would guess that the costs are somewhat different now. We have seen a $20k shelter go in in the last year. Can't help you with forcing Walmart though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    About $5,000 plus costs for associated concrete, ramps, signs, etc.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The fallout shelter test (take 2)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 31 Mar 2012, 10:42 AM
  2. The fallout shelter test
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 1:06 PM
  3. Homeless shelter standards
    Land Use and Zoning