Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hiring cycles?

     
    Registered
    Oct 2002

Hiring cycles?

Are there any discernable hiring cycles in Planning? What drives the hiring process? (budget - other factors?) Are certain times of the year better to be looking for Planning related jobs? How do the "cycles" vary between gov't planning and consulting?

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm going to take a WAG and say winter in general in the United States. For all the planning jobs I landed, I was hired during the winter months.

I don't know if there's a big hiring upswing around the time of national conferences, in April. Personally, I doubt it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Around here the hiring cycles depend on the hiring of Halifax, the biggest municpality. When they hire (there are four jobs advertised right now) there is a domino effect since a lot of the planners in other areas want to live/work in Halifax.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jmf
    Around here the hiring cycles depend on the hiring of Halifax, the biggest municpality. When they hire (there are four jobs advertised right now) there is a domino effect since a lot of the planners in other areas want to live/work in Halifax.
    Its the same around here. Basically there's no discerable "cycle" but one position opening causes a cascade effect of "musical cubes".

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The Toronto area has been in one big hiring cycle for the past few years - there is so much movement out there, it's amazing. I think things tend to die down around major holidays (like over Christmas), and during August. But other than that, there is usually always some planning job out there to be filled. Makes a change from when I graduated.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I've tended to notice that most hirings occur in spring - due to college graduations, and people not wanting to move their kids in the middle of the school year. Everyone of my three planning hirings has been in March/April.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've also seen a lot of jobs listed at the beginning of fiscal years for local and county positions.

Originally posted by bturk

Its the same around here. Basically there's no discerable "cycle" but one position opening causes a cascade effect of "musical cubes".
    I agree. I think that most people in Southeastern Wisconsin know the person who they are replacing. As far as cycles go, I think there definitly are "good" periods when 3-4 jobs will be advertized at any given time, but I have noticed no real pattern.

Right now there seems to be 1 job opening that coming up every two months. It has really dried up due to budget constraints. When I graduated every person in my class was employed before, or within a month of graduation. I think that people graduating this spring will have to look outside the area for jobs.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin

I agree. I think that most people in Southeastern Wisconsin know the person who they are replacing. As far as cycles go, I think there definitly are periods when 3-4 jobs will be advertized at any given time.

Right now there seems to be 1 job opening that coming up every two months. It has really dried up due to budget constraints. When I graduated every person in my class was employed before, or within a month of graduation. I think that people graduating this spring will have to look outside the area for jobs.
    jtfortin - on that note, think about the latest musical cubes and I bet we can posit on the identity of AntiPlannerMovement. I think you used to work with him.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The most jobs seem to be advertised around the beginning of the year, mainly because that is when most communities can start hiring for newly created positions. The others are right in saying that there is also a ripple effect.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    You know, you don't have to work for local government to be a Planner. Sometimes these boards forget that.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    You know, you don't have to work for local government to be a Planner. Sometimes these boards forget that.
    Well, she did ask in her initial post about the differences between private and public hiring cycles. I think most of us just responded based on our personal experience - and most of us are public sector employees...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    It seems that the private sector hires on an as-needed basis.

Originally posted by bturk

jtfortin - on that note, think about the latest musical cubes and I bet we can posit on the identity of AntiPlannerMovement. I think you used to work with him.
    I had a sneaking suspiscion that it was him. He owes me 50 bucks in Fantasy winnings and my Beach Boys box set. I say he is off here until he pays up.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OT: jtfortin, your avatar is freaking me out.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In some areas, musicial cubes don't apply. There's either only one or two agencies in the area, and/or most planners are entranched in their positions. My first job was like that; new planners almost always came from outside the region, and staff roster has been essentially unchanged for about five years or so. I think the PD finally got a crew where everyone complemented his management style and personality.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have always been hired in the spring (March, April). Now I work for a private firm and since I have been here we have hired a few new people and it has always been in the fall. These new hires were recent graduates who were working part time over the summer then got hired on full time.

So basicly, my background and experience points to spring being a good time to look for a job, be it full time or part time.

Registered
    Sep 1998

Hiring times

My 2 cents worth.

Both of my job offers came in April of the year(s) in question. I agree with some of the other posters that work in government - the spring seems to be one of the best times to look for work. In my case, both of the agencies I worked for had their fiscal end of year on March 31. Many organizations do their hiring at the beginning of a new fiscal year when they are sure they can fund new positions.

I may well be able to test this theory of mine as my employment contract with my current employer expires on March 31st. sure, I've had my term extended twice already, but they never seem able/inclined to give my any advance warning as to my future prospects (after my current term expires). When I was last in thissituation, my contract expired at the end of June 2002 and I had 3 weeks of unused vacation that I had to use or loose. I ended up going oon vacation not knowing whether I had a job to return to. On my first day back, a letter was waiting for me on my desk offering a 6 month contact extensiion. Go figure!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That is an awful way to be treated. Sorry, but no way would I be sticking around without a guarantee of a job.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2002

Toronto job market

How is the planning job market around the Toronto area and other urban areas in Canada?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: Toronto job market

Originally posted by kguru
    How is the planning job market around the Toronto area and other urban areas in Canada?
    Toronto is still pretty good, though not as hot as it has been the previous couple of years. The Canadian economy has been good, though it is starting to show signs of slowing down.

Here's the job link from the Canadian Institute of Planners. http://www.cip-icu.ca/English/members/employment.htm Not too many there right now, but IMHO very few job postings actually get posted there.

I know right now there is an internal call for Community Planners at the City of Toronto...if they don't get filled internally, there will be an external posting soon. Try here:http://stratus.city.toronto.on.ca/in...view&Count=500

City of Ottawa: http://ottawa.ca/inside_govt/careerops_ls_en.shtml They actually have a planner II position posted right now...

Good luck!

Registered
    Aug 2002

The private sector perspective

We are always busiest in the first 4-5 months of the year than at any other time. In part it's due to grant cycles, although grantwriting isn't a large component of what we do. I think the winter/spring months are probably the best times for people to look for planning jobs in the private sector.

Autumn -- say, September through November -- is definitely when things are quiet. Right after 9/11, for example, we hit a huge lull that lasted almost until Christmas. THat was kind of scary.

The work usually picks up again right before the holidays when local governments begin thinking about projects for the coming year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a lot of people have said, around January is a good time for newly created positions in public sector jobs. There are several California cities that have big hiring frenzies in July also, as they have a budget year that starts July 1.

Some Canadian provinces have April 1 as the beginning of their fiscal year, so there is sometimes a shuffle around that time.

Otherwise, it's pretty much as needed like the private sector.

Registered
    Sep 2001

Re: Toronto job market

Originally posted by kguru
    Three jobs are available in Oakville, ON you can find them on the CIP site which Tranplanner gave earlier. There were just posted today.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Anyone know the hiring process of NYC DEP
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Mar 2014, 7:35 PM
  2. NYC HHC Hiring Process?
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Mar 2013, 1:22 PM
  3. Places that are always hiring