• Romance, see below

2 8.70%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Books, anyone?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by donk
    Maybe we should start a cyburbia book of the month clube? Someone suggests a book or two, as a group/poll decide which one to read then discuss.
    Farnham's Freehold? Whatcha think Donk? A good post-apocalypse novel?

For the ladies, KMateja and Trail Nazi have the best! Outlander and Karen Moning...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It would probably be my sixth or seventh favourite Heinlein book (Tunnel in the Sky, Glory Road, Job, Sixth Column Friday rank higher). I like the importance RAH places on books at the end. Will trade for books, knowledge or a game of bridge was the general gist of the sign.

As for the decline of the American empire, check out the timelines of future history. RAH predicted that the Russians would not be a threat, but that a middle eastern country would be, he also predicted that the son of a former leader, with a religious right leaning would seize power by suspending basic fundamentals of the Constitution. This suspension occurred on Black Tuesday in October (Sept 11 was a Tuesday).

And on a less serious note, he described the water bed (Stranger in a Strange Land) and AutoCAD (Door into Summer) before they were designed.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Sorry to drag this thread back up, but I just read a great book I think everyone should hear about it, especially if you like comics, or want a mature introduction to sequential story telling ( the fancy name for comics). It will also probably appeal to planner types as it is a fictional history of a New York Neighbourhood.

The book is "The Neighborhood: Dropsie Avenue" by Will Eisner. It covers the social and architectural history of a neighbourhood and shows us that some of the idiosyncracies of people and buildings. The book fits in a "series" Eisner did that also includes books on buildings, neighbourhoods and people who live in the city.

Here is an image of the cover to make it easier if you want to check it out.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 9:28 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 6:16 PM
  3. Audio books
    Book Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Oct 2005, 3:59 PM
  4. Books on zoning