Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transportation Planning for Beginners(Was Graduate Programs in Planning Abroad)

Because I have just begun the internship two weeks ago, I have spent most of my time learning vocabulary and reviewing transportation reports in German. During the 5 months here, I should get some experience with GIS and am supposed to have a roll (although as of yet unclear) in a plan to expand the traffice network in a region outside of dresden, germany.
    Are there any recommendations that you could offer concerning what I should focus on? I understand that the question is quite vague, but I have very little experience in transportation, the closest to planning experience I have is an internship related to community development and land use. Furthermore, I do not have a technical background (i studied econ and spanish). The firm that I am working at is quite flexible and would be willing to offer experience in whatever I am interested. THe problem is that I am rather foreign to the field. (How I ended up in this internship is another story!). I would like, however, this experience to offer as much as possible and make me a competitive applicant for grad school in planning. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Well, I expect that your role as an intern will be more of a learning experience so you won't be expected to be a transportation planning expert...

I'd probably try to get a good handle on the transportation planning policy of the region - whatever jurisdictions are involved, to gain an understanding of the directions they wish to take. You mention a project to expand the traffic network in the area - do you mean just roads, or the transportation network as a whole? Just ask lots of questions, and try to get an idea of the process.

btw, you're not working for Wiedleplan (not sure if I spelled that right) are you?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Sep 2009, 10:08 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Feb 2003, 6:31 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Feb 2003, 9:30 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Aug 2002, 3:58 PM
  5. Graduate planning programs
    Student Commons