Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would this bother you?

Registered
    Feb 2002

Would this bother you?

OK, I know you have to pick your battles, but this really irks me.

There are some ordinance amendments I am suggesting to the DDA, based on their master plan. I spoke with the DDA Director about it to make sure I had her backing. So, I emailed her the memo for her to review.

She emailed me back some changes. The changes she made - the memo, rather being from myself was now from both of us, and she changed everything from "I" to "we". Everything else stayed the same.

I know it's minor, but I am the one doing everything on this, I'm the planner, and they are my recommendations. I'm the one that has to take it to PC and Council and write the actual ordinances. On the other hand, if the DDA shoots them down (which I doubt they will) she would take the heat just as much as myself.

Should I just keep the memo from both of us and all the "we's", or keep it the original way? If I keep it my way, what do I tell her? Should I stop being a control freak (YES, YES, YES) - btw, she does this ALOT.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Some bosses are like that. I don't get to sign much of anything where I work now - I write the memos, my boss signs them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Does she do it on items that are going to be unpopular, or does she only associate herself with items that are popular/will make her look good and forward thinking?

If she does not participate in the bad / politically unfavourable, she should not attempt to take credit for the good. I have recently been through a similar battle here and lost.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Some bosses are like that. I don't get to sign much of anything where I work now - I write the memos, my boss signs them
    OK, that would suck. Luckily my City Manager doesn't do that to me. The DDA Director isn't boss, so in my opinion, I don't *have* to change it.

She does this when it's type of stuff that would make her look good.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Since she's not your boss, I'd take her name off of it - as long as she isn't in a position to make your work life miserable.

We to use "staff" as the pronoun in most correspondence. I tend to agree with keeping it "we" because then it seems like there is a consensus on the proposed changes. If I were in a similar situation, I would just keep the "we" or switch it to "staff." I
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would accept and support it, as it provides a backing to "your" position. Sometimes sharing the credit (or getting none) is required in order to advance a position.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Find out if she wants the changes to show that there is consensus. If that is it, re-write your memo. It should still come from you, but state that you and the DDA are in agreement and use "we" from then on.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I agree with jfortin (and others). We tend to avoid using "I" and use "We" or staff. Unless there is no consensus, then that's a whole 'nother issue

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Just slap her.

Then ask her how "our" cheek feels...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by bturk
    I would accept and support it, as it provides a backing to "your" position. Sometimes sharing the credit (or getting none) is required in order to advance a position.
    bturk sums up my feelings on the issue very well. If this is the way to present unity on a position its the best way to go. However, if this person always tries to take credit it's also a mental note issue to be handled at another time and another place...
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 33
    Last post: 13 Dec 2010, 11:28 AM
  2. Should I even bother with planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 12 Jul 2010, 6:16 PM
  3. Replies: 9