+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Accents!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Accents!

1) What accent do you speak in?

Me ... I talk in the generic Midland Northern accent of the US Midwest, with a hint of a Buffalo accent (the nasal flat-a) if you deliberately try to listen for it.

2) What accents do you encounter where you live and at work?

In Orlando, most accents you would encounter were US/Eastern/Midland Northern, but in the part fo town where I worked, you could just as well have been in rr'll Jaw-juh ... it was very Southern. Sadly, I couldn't understand many older African-Americans when they spoke; they accents were very thick.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of us are the plain-jane midwestern "Tom Brokaw" sounding folks (yes, I know he's a canuck).

South Milwaukee as well as parts of the Lake Michigan shore to our north (like Sheboygan and Manitowoc) speak with a Germanic tinge that comes across sounding like the Mackenzies ("...You goin to da store, eh?")

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dan,
    I think I speak Military brat (some time in the south) with a slight twist of Western Kansas residual cowpoke. You have spoken with me. Other than retarded half the time, what accent do you think I have?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by bturk
    Most of us are the plain-jane midwestern "Tom Brokaw" sounding folks (yes, I know he's a canuck).
    Thats Jenning's, Brokaw is from the Dakotas.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by El Guapo

Thats Jenning's, Brokaw is from the Dakotas.
    Those people all look alike to me

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm also sporting that nice nasal flat a: My brother is Peeatrick (not Patrick) and I just called my Deead last night, my mom wasn't home.

I tend to pick up accents quick. When I was a foreign exchange student, all my american friends were from ohio and nebraska, so my brother then was Paht and it was Dahddy. In Geneseo, my friends were all Long Island, and I would slip into that. I picked up a pretty credible South Carolina accent whilst there. But now that I'm back to upstate NY, its back to my original accent.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I speak mainly hoser, eh?

I have a lot of brit words/expressions in my vocabulary due to my background...

I think Canadians in general have a pretty neutral accent - supposedly we are in demand as English teachers as ours is the easiest accent to understand.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Rhode Island accents are kind of like Boston's but without that typical Kennedy "aaaaaaa" sound. No R's at the end of words.

It can be a really "dumb" sounding accent. In the most severe cases, RI accents can sound like a deaf person talking.

I've always been interested in regional accents, but haven't done enough travelling to notice much firsthand. I was surprised though by the weird twangy accents of some people in rural S. Central PA.

COPS is the best place for regional dialects on TV.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Since living in the maritimes I have picked up an eastern canadian accent. More "aboot" (about) and "hoose" (house) then before I moved here.

Accents with the french people I deal with are really strong and can vary greatly from small community to small community. For example I can understand someone from Neguac's French, but can't understand French from BSA due to the accent and use of language.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm a strange bird. I've lived in New Orleans all of my life yet do not have a strong local accent. If I'm around a group of people who do have strong accents, then I'll pick up on it, but for the most part, my accent somewhat non-descript with just a little southern twang to it.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have noticed that if I stay in a place for long, I can start to pick up the local accent, but I guess its over dat way, aina? Crimony, I was only un nort a couple, three years when I started talking like a native Wisconsinner. Ah sure, I don't say "bubbler," but den dat's more of a Milwaukee thing.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Yo...

I tawk Philly...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    On some words you can tell I'm from a southern state, but mostly when I slip in a "ya'll". Ugh.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by donk

Accents with the french people I deal with are really strong and can vary greatly from small community to small community. For example I can understand someone from Neguac's French, but can't understand French from BSA due to the accent and use of language.
    The Parisian french I learned at school did nothing to prepare me for the french that is spoken in Northern Ontario... My wife's french accent comes through sometimes - it's so cute.

Mike D's post reminded me that I also speak Trawna.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm not much of an "eh" sayer.

The local saying / phrase is "Howse she goin'" and the answer can only be "The very best".

I have left instructions that should I ever say that to be shot immediately.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    MIne is pretty generic. I suppose I sound a little SW PA, without "y'uns", a term I refuse to use (means you all, all of you, you guys). Somw of my words still come out sounding Southern.

Funny, my sister works a a local WalMart. The person who answers the phone knows my voice now, and loses my calls, so I've begun asking for my sister using a Southern accent, and the calls always go through!

BANNED
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I have a Maine accent...minus the Ayuh's! I tried my best not to pick up the Maine farmer accent..I actually use R's when I am talking and try to limit the use of wicked as much as possible.
    Since I have only lived in Maine and NH, my accent has never changed. My husband on the other hand is a hybrid of NH and Indiana. I have never heard a strong accent, but sometimes he will say something and I will sit and wonder what he has just said!! I understand it all a little more after visiting his best friends in Indiana.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My accent has faded from moving around so so much over the past few years. But get a few strong-ones in me and I'm once again speaking with the soft twang of Upstate, SC.
    Yun's is classic Southwest, PA and even though I pick up accents very easily, I I don't think you'll ever hear, "Yun's wanna go daantawn" ever escape from from my mouth.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I would have to say I have a Northern Florida accent (a mix of Southern Georgia and Southern). However, if I tired, angry or I have some alcohol, I sound like a Southernbelle. Now, if I hear anyone else with a thick Southern accent, I slip right into it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Southern thru and thru. Unfortunately I have had to run from restaurants/ theaters, etc. when encountering an overwhelming NJ/NY nasal accent. They are all over here and make fingernails on the blackboard seem like the angels singing...

SoCal dudes

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    Since living in the maritimes I have picked up an eastern canadian accent. More "aboot" (about) and "hoose" (house) then before I moved here.

Six years ago, I lived in Connecticut for about a year. Many native New Englanders mistook me for Canadian. Last year, a friend of mine who was from NYC pinpointed my "aboot" and "hoose" verbal tendencies. Though I freely admit the "aboot" perversion of "about," I don't think I say "hoose." I was born and raised in mid-Michigan and have no idea why I sound a little Canadian. When I taught middle-school for a short period, the kiddies laughed because I "sounded funny." And that was in northern Michigan, where the kids have more of a tendency to speak an interesting mix between Minnesotan and Canadian. Strange, eh?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i think i have the military thing going too, folks always say "your not from around here" or "where ya from?"

i have no accent that i can tell, some words have various accents based on where i learned the word or who i learned if from. my use of language also includes phrases in many languages and dialects (sp?) none of which i speak very well if at all.

go figure
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by El Guapo
    Dan,
    Other than retarded half the time, what accent do you think I have?
    Midland Northern, Guap. Conventional U.S. broadcast English. I didn't detect a southern twang at all, or any renmants of the gruff Kansas Cowpoke accent from the Dodge City years.

Now, let's see if you qualify as a possible NPR host. Say "Nicaragua."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just thought of a few other language eccentricities in my area and ones that I have picked up.

Down = dewn

direction is not north or south it is up river or dewn river. In my area up river is south. In my parent's area upriver is north and when driving to fredericton upriver changes about half way because the river changes. (From Miramichi to Nashwaak)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Accents
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 30 Oct 2014, 1:43 PM
  2. Dialects & Accents
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 31 May 2005, 11:09 PM
  3. Canadian Accents