Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hygene Suggestions

Hygene Suggestions

Ok, I have had it! I am sick and tired of people coming to the counter with breath that smells like they have been drinking sewage. I can't take it anymore! I have had three people come to the counter today that have had breath that Saddam could use as a chemical weapon. This last one was the last straw. My nose actually stings from his nasty breath. I have dealt with him on previous occasions and his breath always reeks. His son has the same problem.

Does anybody have any creative ways to handle this? I have entertained putting a nice dish of mints up there, but those with ass-breath will probably ignore them. I know that I will probably have to learn to deal with this. How do others handle it?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Whew! I don't miss those days!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Next time you see him step to the counter, come out wearing one of those masks that drywallers wear. It'll be bound to solicit a question from Mr. Ass-breath, upon which you can reply something like "My doctor recommends the mask when I encounter bad hygiene".

NOTE: As a supervisor I do not condone such actions by my staff.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If you have the mints on the counter, you could gesture and say... "would you like a mint?"... or you could grab a mint for yourself and ask them if they want one, too.

?

I propose a big glass shield like you find at 24 hour gas stations in the hood.

I wonder how it would go over if I refused to talk to people whose breath is so bad that I can't breathe.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    I propose a big glass shield like you find at 24 hour gas stations in the hood.
    Tell Dick that you need it for "Homeland Security"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Say: "Dude its Listerine Shooters day at the Zoning Department. Let me pour. The're on the house. Then hand him a bucket to spit in."

We once had a guy we called stinky homeless developer dude.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

PUT A S*** load of vicks vapor rub under your nose.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Take a mint, and hand him one. Offering him a mint only gives him the opportunity to refuse it. I hate it when someone's breath smells like chicken sh**. If he doesn't put it in his mouth, take a few steps back.

My current compliant is about the service industry workers who have gap-toothed smiles. I'm considering contacting our local grocery chain and suggesting they discontinue employee dental benefits because they are just throwing away money.

Registered
    Sep 1998

Hi-gene

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Assume that everyone who comes to the counter has "s*** breath" and be prepared by smearing feeces all over your clothing make your clients feel coomfotable). Also, give up oral hygene, never wash your hair or clothing (unless in a puddle in heavy industrial area) and most importantly, be sure to be real friendly by invading the PERSONAL SPACE of all such shit breathing people who darken your doorstep.

Alternatively, be polite ask ask the fellow into your "kennel" so you can assist him with his immediate needs.

As a last resport, call on one of you co-workers to assist the fellow!

Admit it, that last one has real possibilities, doesn't it!

Truthfully, the reality of such situations is that the best you can probably achieve is to limit your exposure to such individuals by being brief and professional.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    When i worked in S.C. my biggest pet peeve was people who would come in, chewing tobacco and carrying their dip cup! blargh! we also kept a can of lysol under the counter because we definitely had some stinky stinky people coming in. As for the bad breath, if your in a situation where you have to have a prolonged conversation with this person, i also vote for the offering them a mint. just keep a bowl of life saver mints up front. if they decline, just say, kindly "are you sure?"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Suggestions for GIS exhibit
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 May 2010, 2:22 PM
  2. Book suggestions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jul 2009, 6:35 PM
  3. Vancouver - suggestions
    Friday Afternoon Club