Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Claims to fame

Registered
    Jul 2002

Claims to fame

The City of Newton Falls Ohio (just east of here) has as its apparent claim to fame that its Zip Code is all 4's - 44444- and they're proud of it. What is the "Claim to Fame" that you know of that's aaaah, ahem, "different?"
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Dc area has more spies per sq mile than anywhere else on the face of the earth. From what im told the bars in Georgetown are crawling with them

shrugs

DC also has more lawyers per capita than anywhere in the world---ewwwww
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Philly is like the "Fattest City" I think.....

We got Rocky, and cheese steaks, and soft pretzels, and tastykakes....

The claim to fame here is that an old drive in here was the inspiration for Arnold's on Happy Days. I have also heard of other custard stands/drive-ins in the area claiming that same distinction, so who knows. Our other claim to fame is Solly's Butter Burgers.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Heard by virtually every Chicagoan outside the USA:

1. "Chicago? Al Capone! Rat-a-tat-tat!"

2. "Chicago? Michael Jordan! Bulls win!"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The great "Winter Park Sinkhole" in 1981. It swallowed a city pool, homes, and parts of several businesses, including a luxury car dealership.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1) We are known as second only to Salem, Mass., as a haven for witchcraft.

2) John Belushi went to college here (think Animal House).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Muncie, IN's claim to fame for years was that it was the "most average city in America." At least that's what some sociologists dubbed it when they studied the town in the '40s, I believe.

I do know that PBS did a follow-up series called "Middletown" during the '80s when I was in high school there.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    1. We are the capital city
    2. I live here
    3. We have more cafes per capita than any other city in NZ
    4. We will host the international premiere of the next instalment of Lord of the Rings

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Just learnt some more interesting stats: compared to other New Zealand cities, Wellingtonians are younger, paid more, have more tertiary qualifications, speak more languages, and have lower unemployment rates, but we're less likely to be married.

We have more internet connections per capita than Silicon Valley!

We are also the first capital city in the world to see each new business day.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    My city claims to be 451 years old... well the First Foundation of the city was in 1552... but due to earthquakes, invasions from mapuches and pirates and catastrofic fires (1909), it hasn't been ocupied all those 451 years.... Many times the Spanish left the area abandoned due to mapuche attacks for several decades.

Also Valdivia claims the most powerfull earthquake in the 20th century (05-22-1960, 9.5 Richter)
    Also claims to be the prettiest city in Chile (Blattant lie!) :p

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Kecksburg UFO, about 15 miles from here. It happened 35 years ago, and was featured on Unsolved Mysteries. The replica of the UFO sits atop the local firehall.

http://www.westol.com/~paufo/kecks.html

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Home to Maharishi University of Managment
    First Carnegy Library West of the Mississippi
    First Golf course West of the Mississippi
    First Iowa State Fair

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here are some from NB

St. John - Oldest incorporated city in Canada
    St. George - best drinking water in canada
    Moncton - only officially bilingual city in Canada
    Miramichi - Gateway to fishing, birth place of Max Aiken(Lord Beaverbrook) birthplace of David Adams Rchards (novelist)
    Nackawic - world's largest axe
    Sussex - dairy capital of the maritimes
    Florenceville - home of McCains
    Buctouche - birthplace of KC Irving
    Gagetown - birthplace of Leonard Tilley - father of confederation
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Providence is known for Waterfire an exhibit where fires are lit along the rivers and ambient traditional music plays from outdoor speakers - its better than it sounds.

Its also known as a politically corrupt, mob run city whose former mayor is serving a 6 year sentence.

Glocester, RI has some story about an elephant that got loose in town and had to be killed on a certain bridge - there's a marker there to commemorate it.

Pawtucket, RI is the birthplace of the American Industrial Revolution.

The state of RI has this stupid obssession with Mr. Potato Head because Hasbro is based here. 10 foot tall Mr. Potato Heads dressed in different styles were placed at different tourist locations for a few months. As reported on the SNL news, the state even considered putting Mr. Potato Head on the licence plates.

Fall River, MA is quite proud of Lizzie Borden chopping up her parents with an axe - there's even a Lizzie Borden museum.

Brockton, MA is the "City of Champions" because Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler both came from there (yes, its a tough place)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I always have to post pictures twice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    The claim to fame here is that an old drive in here was the inspiration for Arnold's on Happy Days. I have also heard of other custard stands/drive-ins in the area claiming that same distinction, so who knows. Our other claim to fame is Solly's Butter Burgers.
    Milwaukee is also reported to have more gay bars per capita than San Francisco

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The Concord Coach, one of the better stagecoaches in the early days, were made in my hometown. http://www.over-land.com/ccoach.html

My aunt used to have one in the barn at her house (she rented a place from a historical society.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Whitewater Wagon was the "standard of quality" for the US Army at the end of the 19th century

Stephen Ambrose was our most famous son.

Captain Abraham Lincoln had his horse stolen just outside of the city on his return from the Blackhawk War.

This city and several nearby are covered with remains of the Underground Railroad, including hidden chambers, tunnels, etc.

Adjacent communities:

Radar from MASH was from Delavan.

Milton has the first concrete house in America, the Milton Inn, from the early 1800's.

Fort Atkinson is known for Hoard's Dairyman.

Evidence of alien life and their visit to Earth is said to be hidden under a nearby man-made lake.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Ready for this?

The fat lady from the circus was born and raised here.

Harriet Quimby, the first female aviator (or something) was born here.

Here's the kicker. Branch County's slogan "The pulse of MI". OK, now hold your left hand up in front of you. There's MI (we all do that here in case you ever visit). The pulse of MI would be around Toledo OH. I'm not sure what brainiac made that up?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Toronto is:

Canada's largest City (2.5 million City, 5+ million Metro area)

The most multicultural city in the world

Home of the Hockey Hall of Fame

The most world-class, non-world class city in the world...

I'm sure there's all sorts of other quirky facts...but I can't think of any of the top of my head.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Strange but true:
    Toronto banned tobogganing on sundays until the mid 1960's.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    OK, now hold your left hand up in front of you. There's MI (we all do that here in case you ever visit).
    Sort of off-topic:

I've heard one way to tell if someone is from east or west Michigan is the way they show where they live on their hand. Folks from west Michigan hold out their left hand palm down; people from east Michigan hold out their right hand palm up.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    More claims to fame…

Woonsocket RI was - and may still be - the most French Canadian city in the US. They have a Mardi Gras celebration (much more family oriented) and are really into hockey.

New Bedford, MA may be the most Portuguese city in the US (I’m not doing the research). New Bedford and New London, CT both call themselves “the Whaling City” and they’re only about 60 miles apart.

Providence is now the biggest ever US city with an openly gay mayor. (Who keeps track of Mayors’ sexual preferences?)

Wolfsboro, NH was the first resort town in America.

True to its name, Gloversville, NY was the glove-making capital of the world.

Bridgeport, CT was the home of PT Barnum - and you bet they have a museum to show for it!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mercer Wisconsin is the Loon Capital of the world.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Halls of Fame
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 17 Oct 2013, 8:43 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:01 AM
  3. Falkland Islands Claims
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9