Urban planning community

Poll results: Is this a fair resolution?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, quite amicable and the CEO was charming

4 22.22%
  • No, they deserve a bigger pound of flesh (or bark)

14 77.78%
  • I have another opinion which I'll share with you

0 0%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this a fair resolution?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Is this a fair resolution?

What are your thoughts? Is this an Equitable Solution?

Registered
    Oct 2001

My thoughts

One doesn't cut down tress on someone else's property, without permission, without paying the piper 3 times their value and the city's fines, plus the cost of the investigation and the sacking of all involved must also occur. In addition, the motel should go entirely signless for one year of atonement.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by El Guapo
    In addition, the motel should go entirely signless for one year of atonement.
    Yeah really... don't you wish that we could teach lessons this way? That would be so sweet!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I would require the company officers responsible for this action to be "housed" atop a large tree for at least one month, a la Julia Butterfly Hill, with no shelter other than canvass sleeping bags, and food limited to whole wheat organic oatmeal and soy milk.

It seems they got off pretty free. Are there any areas of the city where lack of funds have eliminated tree maintenance and replantings? Any town gateways that need landscaping? The motel should be required to pay for an arborist, tree planting crew, and all maintenance costs for a significant period of time.
    Maybe that's implied in the article, but I would make it farily serious.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It seems they are getting off easy and the city is selling out. Frankly, planting trees as part of a city road project is the city's responsibility. I would begin by making them acquire and preserve a similar tree stand elsewhere in the city (if possible). Secondly, there should be a guaranteed minimum size on the replacement trees on the hillside - 4" caliper, at least. They should also be of the same type as what was removed. Don't go repacing quercus macrocarpa or carya ovata with acer platinoides or (eek!) acer negundo. Recognizing that the environment of a mature savanna or woodland is far different than that of these new, much smaller trees, some additional environmental mitigation should be required. In addition to all of this mitigation, there should be a fine for every tree cut down.

Needless to say, the company should fire the dumb-ass responsible for this. If it was a franchise operator, they should loose their franchse.

My brother is the Parks & Planning Director in Highland Park, Illinois, a rich suburb on Chicago's north shore. Periodically, they have had some near lakeshore property owners go onto city land(!) to cut down mature hardwoods that block their view of the lake. Of course, they also have the problem of people tearing down beautiful Victorian mansions to build big uglys.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    "The solution, since the damage is done, is fair,"

WRONGO BUCKO !

No way, itís a sell out! The responsible parties should be forking over far more for actual damages and punitive fines. It sounds like they are getting their way and then planting landscaping that they should have been doing in the first place.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    EG you surprise me. 30 Trees, 30 trees. Sounds like any honest mistake? Might not be an honest mistake, but it sounds like one.

Stuff like this does happen, people make mistakes.

Oh, and Wal Mart really is mad about this I bet? I am surprised the conspriacy theorists among you hav not put 2 and 2 together.

The CEO made a tremendous business decision.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What about the concept of replacing the lost trees with an identical amount of biomass? Calculate the cubic feet (metres)of mass lost by having the trees cut down, and require that an equal amount be replaced.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    EG you surprise me. 30 Trees, 30 trees. Sounds like any honest mistake? Might not be an honest mistake, but it sounds like one.
    Yeah, not my normal conservative take on things. I'll agree with you. But say I steal 30 Cadillac Escalades off your new car lot. I get caught and the city makes me give $3000 to the Car Dealers Association and tells me to give you 30 Yugos. Fair?

These guys did the crime - they should do the time or pay the fine.

These guys did the crime - they should do the time or pay the fine
    Why isn't your response conservatie?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I think he was alluding to the natural inclination of some conservatives to give "an honest businessman" the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a legit mistake. I on the other hand took the "pay for a crime against nature stance" that is not common among people of my tribe.

A six year old knows you get a spanking for destroying someone else's property. This CEO knows they were wrong and got a good deal but didn't meet his moral obligation to make it right. Unfortunately "making it right" never appears on the ledger sheets of corporate America. This is one of the most glairing failures of capitalism - Which is still the best system by a long shot.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Resolution writing
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Oct 2010, 1:12 PM
  2. Resolution
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Dec 2006, 9:33 AM
  3. Conflict resolution
    Career Development and Advice