Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Local Newspapers

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Local Newspapers

I managed fly under the radar for almost 3 years until this....as typical of local papers, plenty of errors.

Apologies if the links doesn't work....if it doesn't I'll put it on another server.

http://londonderry.web-sites.com/images/ltimes.pdf

Edit: Changed servers....it should work now
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Wow...it's like Urban Planning 101 all over again...

The one and only time I got work-related press, they gave me my bosses' title. He wasn't impressed.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Wow...it's like Urban Planning 101 all over again...
    I wondered why the interview took 2 hours, and 3 follow up phone calls....most people at town hall got a couple of paragraphs...I guess planning is just that interesting! :p
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So far the St. Albert paper hasn't misquoted me (knocks on wood).

Oak Harbor, WA, had the *worst* paper when it came to political muckraking, misquoting, and general stirring of the pot. But we all took it in stride: we had a game where any non-director in City hall (which left about 15 people) that was quoted in the paper would have to bring donuts the next Friday... if you had your picture in the paper, it was pizza. It added to our avoidance of the press, and I got nailed on the donut thing way too many times for being quoted straight from my presentations at PC meetings.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have been in the paper a couple of times at my current job. A front page pic taken at a public meeting about agriculture and an article about the results of a survey we did.

Generally, I have been treated quite well in the press, usually though the reporter just didn't 'get' planning or the processes and never bothered to do follow-up call to check information. So I am impressed by the thoroughness of this reporter.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My favorite was the ad...

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Beaner
    My favorite was the ad...
    Wow...I've been photoshopped for the first time (by someone other than myself)! :p

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    The one and only time I got work-related press, they gave me my bosses' title. He wasn't impressed.
    I actually get quoted on an almost weekly basis here....planning issues are front page news at times here.

Most of my "press" though came as a result of my work on cell towers...a couple are actually good....

http://www.geocities.com/researchtri.../articles.html

I am only in the paper when there is an article about a sign proposal getting shot down or when they talk about neighborhood planning issues.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just coincidentally, when cleaning out a file cabinet yesterday I came across this clipping from when I started here over six years ago. They were off to a good start, as I have never worked for Mosinee (try Mazomanie).

You know, as I look at it now, if you took away the headline this looks a lot more like an obituary.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats on your first photshop coup, Tim. Welcome to the clube.

Mike, poor Mike. What were you thinking posting THAT! You are doomed to photoshop hell.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by bturk
    Congrats on your first photshop coup, Tim. Welcome to the clube.

Mike, poor Mike. What were you thinking posting THAT! You are doomed to photoshop hell.
    And now as I was cleaning out another file at home, I came across the article the local paper wrote when I started in Mazomanie. Will I be posting that one as well?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 18 Jul 2008, 12:15 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 6:54 PM
  3. Planning for local business/ local agriculture
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Jul 2006, 1:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 11:47 PM