Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Does anyone obey Occupancy Requirements?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Does anyone obey Occupancy Requirements?

Now with the second disaster in a week in a nightclub, I have to wonder if Max. Occupancy requirements are ever adhered to.

In Philly, the clubs pack people in until you can't fit anymore into the building. It's amazing that tragedies like these don't happen more often.
    Last edited by Jeff; 21 Feb 2003 at 10:00 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    In Halifax there is a building which has 4 or 5 bars all interconnected, known as the LiquorDome. My friends used to love to go there but it was always so packed and I was afraid of just such a thing, everybody rushing for an exit but nobady getting to one.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    OK, this is what a dork I am, but I haven't been out to a drinking establishment since Thanksgiving weekend, and I generally go to smaller establishments (think pubs). Our town doesn't really have a giant club that could fit more than a couple hundred people, even packed in. But then, my town isn't really a "happening" place.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My guess is no - they usually pack people in at $10 a head plus drinks. I've been to alot of places where I think if anything happens we're all dead.

The W. Warwick club was under capacity. The problem was the band never got a licence from the Fire Marshall for the pyrotechnics. It seems so stupid that Great White needed a pyro show to relive their glory days at such a small club. There were 4 doors but people were only familiar with 1. I was at that club a few months ago for a comedy open mic night that my friend was considering doing.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I heard about the pyros with Great White, but the thing that happened in Chicago the other night, I bet you they were well over the max occupancy. Wasn't that place even ordered closed?

I just think of alot of the clubs or bigger bars around here, even the bars when I was in college. So packed that you have to be rude to people just to get to where you are going...

Around here on St Patty's Day, at some of the bigger Irish establishments, you could be in there all day and only drink a couple of beers because you can't get to the bar.

I think something needs to be done with these places, more emergency exits, kinda like sporting arenas, where you just have 100 feet of exit doors lining wall for a mass exodus if needed.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I was sort of freaked out by that incident in Chicago because my friends and I went there when we were in Chicago for the APA conference. I distinctly remmber that narrow staircase, but the club itself is somewhat large, at least compared to the staircase.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I think Mike is right, bar/club goers are drunk, freaked out etc etc there needs to be more exits and after the Pentagon folks started changing exit signage becouse you cant SEE the lit exit signs most times. im not sure the answer but something does indeed need to change.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    An ironic thing is that a cameraman from the local ABC affiliate just happened to be shooting footage of the concert when the fire broke out. The reason for the footage is that they were planning on doing a piece about the potential dangers of nightclubs after the Chicago incident. It showed some of the footage of the fire starting and people at first calmly starting to leave. They then stopped showing it saying it got too disturbing.

I agree that they need to do more at these places even if it inconvinieces people. Even at large rock concerts - just about every major band has a story about the tragic night that X number of fans were killed or injured.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Ditto.

Originally posted by Planderella
    I was sort of freaked out by that incident in Chicago. I distinctly remmber that narrow staircase, but the club itself is somewhat large, at least compared to the staircase.
    You're right, Planderella. The E2 Club is really quite large and can accommodate 500-1000 people. But the stairway to the upstairs dance floor is wide enough for just two people at a time. There are claims that there were 1500 people upstairs.

Mike, the club was ordered closed by the City Building Department last July. The problem is the club is really two places -- a first floor restaurant and a second floor dance club. The city ordered the dance club closed, but the owners only occasionally closed it. City inspectors would visit during the day and the dance club appeared closed, but it was very open in the evenings.

It also appears the city's left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. The city's lawyers took the owners to court and ordered the dance club closed; inspectors visited and saw it was closed during the day; but police regularly stopped by at night at what was a semi-rowdy club to arrest people, and they claim to have no knowledge of efforts to close the dance club.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    OK, i had no idea what you were talking about until i just logged on to CNN.com. I feel so retarded. i'm glad it's friday.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I stay away from the mega clubes, and prefer the little corner tavern atmosphere better.

I get freaked out when I can't see an exit - Ceasars Palace has thrown me into a panic every time I'm there.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    When I lived in Cruces, I was terrified of the clubs in Juarez. Fire codes in Mexico? What fire codes? Avenida de Juarez was lined with "discos," most of which had only one narrow entry door, and some where you had to climb a flight of stairs.

One time, I got dragged to one disco ("Alive" was the name, I think) that had a long narrow hallway lined with fake fur, which lead to a long flight of stairs, terminating in a dance hall that could theoretically hold about 500 folks. There were no alternate exits. I left after a few minutes; I pictured nothing but the inevitable fire that would probably strike the joint.

Off-topic:
    As for bars south of the border, there's only one place I go to. The Kentucky Club, open since 1932. It's a bit shopworn now, but it still maintains all of its original elegance. A bottle of beer is a buck fifty, served by polite bartenders wearing white shirts and bow ties. The back bar, holding a huge mirror stained with 70 years worth of nicotine, is perhaps one of the most elaborate and beautiful in North America. The walls are lined with yellowing autographed photos of 1940s and 1950s era celebrities. It's quiet and filled with history, but you can see the hustle and bustle of Aveida de Juarez foot traffic just outside the front window.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I can't imagine what Speakeasy's would do, or Spirits for the matter (both in Austin). Both have narrow staircases leading upstairs.

I try to avoid large crowds of people in close spaces though, I get really antsy if I don't see a way out.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If Great White ever uses this event as publicity, God help me.

According to the club owners the pyrotechnics were a surprise - a club owner in NJ has said he was angry when Great White surprised them with pyro there a few days ago. They might just be covering their butts though.

The death toll is at least 85 now which is more than the Waco fire. The higher it goes the more I wonder about this and that person I used to know who might still like that band.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    If Great White ever uses this event as publicity, God help me.
    Isn't one of their guitar players among the missing?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner

Isn't one of their guitar players among the missing?
    oNE OF THE BAND MEMBERS...

Registered
    Apr 2002

Re: Does anyone obey Occupancy Requirements?

Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    Does anyone obey Occupancy Requirements?
    Nope, unless of course someone is looking! The name of the game is to make as much money as possible and as quickly as possible. If you get caught you call your lawyer, pay lip service, and a small fine and then back to business as usual.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Does anyone obey Occupancy Requirements?

Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    Now with the second disaster in a week in a nightclub, I have to wonder if Max. Occupancy requirements are ever adhered to.
    You were right - a lot of survivors who just went home have come back to say they were there, bringing the total count to over max. occupancy.

A fireman always knows.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Transient occupancy taxes
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Feb 2009, 10:25 PM
  2. Vehicle occupancy
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Mar 2006, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 11