• Pisces

1 2.44%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your sign?

     
    Registered
    Oct 2002

What's your sign?

...thought I'd ask as a springboard to a discussion on the personality of planners.

So...

Does your personality fit the description for your sign?

If not, how is it different?

How do you think this has impacted your interest in planning as a career?

Do you think there is a particular "planning personality"?

To answer my own poll...
    I'm a Pisces... and a fairly "typical" one - idealistic/visionary, compassionate, very creative, more introverted than extroverted, big picture more than little details.

That said, I'm probably more down to earth (rather than up in the clouds) than most Pisces are made out to be and can be more detail-oriented as needed or more of a "people person." I like to "plan" for things in my life (I worry to a fault) and can be very pragmatic at times.

I'm not sure how my personality will impact a planning career... as I'm not yet a planner and have very little planning work experience. But... I think my personality allows me to be a good facilitator (leadership-style wise) and team member. I'm more attracted to concepts/big picture issue so will need to balance this with the detail-oriented aspect of planning (although, I love GIS and computer work because it feels "creative" to me). I'll also need to be mindful of not taking things too personally/letting myself get burnt out.

As far as other planners... I'm asking this because, at least amongst the planning _students_ I know, my personality is different (though we get along). It has made me wonder if I have the "right" personality to be a planner.

And if you know it, post your Keirsey type...
    I'm an INFP ("healer") type.

Mod's note - posts consolidated...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'm a Leo... but I fit much better in the shy and introvert Cancer or Virgo...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im a Gemini and yes there seems to be 2 sides of me, the quiet one and the wild one. I think as a planner this has helped me see both sides of most issues...though not all

PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm totally Taurus; stubborn to the end. Luckily, I can see the political realities of my job and have learned to compromise, negotiate, etc. even though my every fiber is screaming "Hell NO!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm an aries... and no, I don't think I'm a "typical aries". I think that some aspects fit me... but then, so do some aspects of all the other signs.

For those you like Chinese astrology better, I'm a metal dog... and that fits me much better than the Western aries.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Taurus...not too sure what a typical one is though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Sagitarius & INSP on the Meyers-Brigg personality scale. I'm the "big picture" person, which is probably a good thing considering I'm a planner. Most definitely a typical Sag - impulsive and inquisitive. My husband is a very typical Virgo, which makes for a rather interesting balance. Yes, I buy into a lot of the sun sign stuff, and have found that Chinese Astrology is even more dead on.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Capricorn in sign only. I don't consider myself the boring, conservative actuary-type.

Regarding Myers-Brigg, I'm an ENFP, otherwise known as "The Troublemaker." I think. Everything I've read about ENFPs makes us out to be a pretty messed-up bunch.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Virgo, but I have no idea what that means and I hate it when potential dates (or hook ups WTF) try to analyze based on it.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Typical Aquarian (I think ) and, from what I recall, the Extrovert type.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm an aries. here is the common description of aries I was able to find:

Adventurous and energetic
    Pioneering and courageous
    Enthusiastic and confident
    Dynamic and quick-witted
    Selfish and quick-tempered
    Impulsive and impatient
    Foolhardy and daredevil

On that other personality test i am a guardian / ISTJ, which sounds about right, my joke in the office is that we have righteous indignation on our side.

I'm classified as a metal pig by chinese astrology. [EDIT]
    Last edited by donk; 24 Feb 2003 at 3:29 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's a site for a Meters-Brigg test.

I am an ENTJ:

Of the four aspects of strategic analysis and definition it is marshalling or situational organizing role that reaches the highest development in Fieldmarsals. As this kind of role is practiced some contingency organizing is necessary, so that the second suit of the Fieldmarshal's intellect is devising contingency plans. Structural and functional engineering, though practiced in some degree in the course of organizational operations, tend to be not nearly as well developed and are soon outstripped by the rapidly growing skills in organizing. But it must be said that any kind of strategic exercize tends to bring added strength to engineering as well as organizing skills.

As the organizing capabilities the Fieldmarshal increase so does their desire to let others know about whatever has come of their organizational efforts. So they tend to take up a directive role in their social exchanges. On the other hand they have less and less desire, if they ever had any, to inform others.

Hardly more than two percent of the total population, the Fieldmarshals are bound to lead others, and from an early age they can be observed taking command of groups. In some cases, Fieldmarshals simply find themselves in charge of groups, and are mystified as to how this happened. But the reason is that Fieldmarshals have a strong natural urge to give structure and direction wherever they are -- to harness people in the field and to direct them to achieve distant goals. They resemble Supervisors in their tendency to establish plans for a task, enterprise, or organization, but Fieldmarshals search more for policy and goals than for regulations and procedures.

They cannot not build organizations, and cannot not push to implement their goals. When in charge of an organization, whether in the military, business, education, or government, Fieldmarshals more than any other type desire (and generally have the ability) to visualize where the organization is going, and they seem able to communicate that vision to others. Their organizational and coordinating skills tends to be highly developed, which means that they are likely to be good at systematizing, ordering priorities, generalizing, summarizing, at marshalling evidence, and at demonstrating their ideas. Their ability to organize, however, may be more highly developed than their ability to analyze, and the Fieldmarshal leader may need to turn to an Inventor or Architect to provide this kind of input.

Fieldmarshals will usually rise to positions of responsibility and enjoy being executives. They are tireless in their devotion to their jobs and can easily block out other areas of life for the sake of their work. Superb administrators in any field -- medicine, law, business, education, government, the military -- Fieldmarshals organize their units into smooth-functioning systems, planning in advance, keeping both short-term and long-range objectives well in mind. For the Fieldmarshals, there must always be a goal-directed reason for doing anything, and people's feelings usually are not sufficient reason. They prefer decisions to be based on impersonal data, want to work from well thought-out plans, like to use engineered operations -- and they expect others to follow suit. They are ever intent on reducing bureaucratic red tape, task redundancy, and aimless confusion in the workplace, and they are willing to dismiss employees who cannot get with the program and increase their efficiency. Although Fieldmarshals are tolerant of established procedures, they can and will abandon any procedure when it can be shown to be ineffective in accomplishing its goal. Fieldmarshals root out and reject ineffectiveness and inefficiency, and are impatient with repetition of error.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    The "NT" combination in Myers-Briggs must be linked to the types of activities (intellectual, future-thinking, big picture) involved in planning. While I'm not yet a planner, I'm an INTJ.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Here's a site for a Meters-Brigg test.

I am an ENTJ:

Me too

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by donk

Adventurous and energetic
    Pioneering and courageous
    Enthusiastic and confident
    Dynamic and quick-witted
    Selfish and quick-tempered
    Impulsive and impatient
    Foolhardy and daredevil
    Oh- that explains me to a T- could we also add tenacious, adament, and stubborn?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm a Libra...the balance. Whatever.

In chinese astrology, I'm a rat.

I don't put much stock in astrology (okay, I don't buy it at all), but someone I knew had this big book that went through every day of the year, and told you what your personality, etc. was based on a number of different types of astrology... It was interesting, though still general enough to fit pretty much anyone.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Astrology - I'm another cancer, and I am the typical moody, huge importance on personal relationships, but I'm not anything even remotely close to introverted, as expressed by:

Meyers Briggs - ENFJ: extrovert, intuitive, feeling, judging, i think they discribed it as "The Teacher".

I am also a cancer, but I am not sure what I am "supposed" to be like.

Test results:
    slightly expressed introvert

distinctively expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed thinking personality

distinctively expressed perceiving personality
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm an Aquarius, with Taurus rising. I used to be really into astrology, and did astrological charts for all my friends.

That Meyer-Briggs test is fascinating. I'm a sucker for online personality quizzes. I'm an INFJ, the Counselor Idealist. "INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden." That's me..

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I just took the test...I'm an INTJ. Woo-hoo

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm cancerous...er, I'm a Cancer and an ENTP. So does a combination like that make me conflicted?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Me? A Judgemental Libra? Say it ain't so!

Your Type is ENTJ:
    Extroverted 11
    Intuitive 33
    Thinking 56
    Judging 78

Fictional ENTJs:
    Geordi LaForge (STNG) - cool!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I just took the test...I'm an INTJ. Woo-hoo
    Me, too. According to our description it sounds like we are something from Highlander and we need to mow each other down until there is only one of us left.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite

Me, too. According to our description it sounds like we are something from Highlander and we need to mow each other down until there is only one of us left.
    Yeee-Haw! The First Annual All-Canadian Cyburbia Blood Bath (FACCBB)!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    yet another INTJ... :P

here are the percentages:

Introvert: 100
    Intuitive: 33
    Thinking: 100
    Judging: 78

whoop-dee sh*t

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast