Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat People Who Exercise

Registered
    Aug 2001

Fat People Who Exercise

What do you folks think of fat people who exercise?

I ask this because a co-worker was complaining this morning about seeing a fat guy work out on a treadmill at the gym last night.

Being somewhat pudgy myself, I thought this was a rather crass statement to make. I mean, at least the guy is working out, right? The man is motivated enough to go to the gym and my co-worker has the gall to complain about seeing the guy?

Perhaps they need to build separate health clubs for skinny people only, just to keep the fat people out.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    yes there is this catch 22 if you need to loose some pounds folks tell you to join a gym-if you go your ignored, stared at, laughed at etc. gyms seem to be for the Ken and Barbie types here and its depressing

PG who could loose some winter weight too
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If the "metabolically challenged" don't exercise, how else are they supposed to lose weight?

[On a personally note, I consider myself more dietarily than metabolically challenged. Meaning I tend to eat all the wrong stuff in all the wrong quantities.]

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Beaner, please tell you co-worker he is a sucky human being. You were right to be put off.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    All right, let me try to explain the mentality here.

Those who are physically fit are not fat.

Gyms are crowded enough early in the morning and after work. There is a resentment towards "those of a larger carriage" in the gym, especially when it comes to treadmills, stairmasters, etc because there are so few of them and they usually require a sign-up sheet.

The way most people look at it is, this guy is going to hold me up for a half hour and he's going to give up on his program in 2 weeks.

This resentment is especially present during the month of January when all the "New Years Resolutions" start coming in.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    women seem to be worse about this than men btw

im horrified of joining a gym
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I feel the same way from the other end - I feel like if I go to the wrong gym everyone will laugh at my puny body struggling to pick up 20 lbs. I've been starting to get into it though (in the basement). Eventually I hope to move up to a real gym.

Across the street from City Hall here is a hole in the wall gym with nothing but bodybuilder types walking in. You can tell their going to the gym because they try to look tough by not wearing coats in teh winter. It looks like the type of place where you could buy steroids in the back room.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Was the co-worker offended by what the guy was wearing, or just that he was overweight? If it is that later, he truly does suck...

If the guy was wearing spandex pants and no shirt...then maybe I might agree with the co-worker

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I say more power to the fat people!!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I said, "Great! At least the fat guy was working out." She said, "Yuck." I left it at that. This woman is dumb. I am beginning to slip in some subtle insults into my conversation with her, though I do try to avoid her. Slowly, she will begin to hate me...

Originally posted by El Guapo
    Beaner, please tell you co-worker he is a sucky human being. You were right to be put off.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree. Sorry, but you don't lose weight by just eating at Subway. You have to exercise, too. I admire the person for making the effort. The only one who looks bad is your co-worker.

Seabishop - I had a problem of not being able to build mass when I was in college. Now I have fifteen or twenty extra pounds I'd be glad to give you.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never knew that. Interesting. Very interesting. That's what those funny looks were. Hmmm...

If I were a more spiteful Fatso, I might take an extra ten minutes on the treadmill next time, just to piss off the beautiful people.

Just kidding, of course. Like everyone else, I have a busy schedule and don't have time to waste. The gym is a busy place and hate it when some bozo, fat or fit, takes a little too long on the exercise bike or treadmill.

Originally posted by Mike D.
    All right, let me try to explain the mentality here.

Those who are physically fit are not fat.

Gyms are crowded enough early in the morning and after work. There is a resentment towards "those of a larger carriage" in the gym, especially when it comes to treadmills, stairmasters, etc because there are so few of them and they usually require a sign-up sheet.

The way most people look at it is, this guy is going to hold me up for a half hour and he's going to give up on his program in 2 weeks.

This resentment is especially present during the month of January when all the "New Years Resolutions" start coming in.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    women seem to be worse about this than men btw
    This seems to be a true statement. Why is that?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah, I know where you're coming from. But it shouldn't matter - why was she looking at the person anyway? Close your eyes and turn up the Walkman! It's a gym and you are inevitably going to see, smell, and hear some unpleasant things. My co-worker lives in a Lilly White world, and I guess she expects everything in her environment to be to her liking.

Originally posted by giff57
    Was the co-worker offended by what the guy was wearing, or just that he was overweight? If it is that later, he truly does suck...

If the guy was wearing spandex pants and no shirt...then maybe I might agree with the co-worker

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Beaner

Apparently guys have greater success at sticking with the program. There was an article in the Phila Daily News about this in January. Apparently this year the gyms were really over run by the resolution types.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Did you see About Schmidt? Kathy Bates is nude - full frontal boobies!!

I didn't have a problem with it, but most people I talk to about the scene were repulsed. I wonder why?

Originally posted by Planderella
    I say more power to the fat people!!!

Registered
    Oct 2000

This is a whole other thread, my friend.

As for the initial topic - your co-worker does suck. i say cheers to the fat guy - although i do agree that cultures do vary from gym to gym. last year i left a gym because i was too old to be there, and i'm 27 - the rates were extremely low, and accordingly it was all toothpick college and high school girls that were there to flirt on their crushes while it took them 25 minutes to do two reps on the leg press. bitches. anyway, i like my new gym so much better - lots of middle age folks, which has the added benefit of making me feel really good about myself and my young body.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mike, not sure if you replied to the post you wanted.

I was asking PlannerGirl that question in reply to her: "women seem to be worse about this than men btw"

What is it about women and their uncanny ability to put down and insult people?

Originally posted by Mike D.

Apparently guys have greater success at sticking with the program. There was an article in the Phila Daily News about this in January. Apparently this year the gyms were really over run by the resolution types.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    ok - starting a new thread about this now.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Did you see About Schmidt? Kathy Bates is nude - full frontal boobies!!

I didn't have a problem with it, but most people I talk to about the scene were repulsed. I wonder why?

They were probably repulsed by their own inadequacies and decided to take it out on someone who had the gumption to show off her body for all the world to see.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yeah, I think the co-worker is just being a little petty. At least the guy was making an effort.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Mike, not sure if you replied to the post you wanted.

I was asking PlannerGirl that question in reply to her: "women seem to be worse about this than men btw"

My internet discussion skills are lacking today. I meant to say that a fat guy will get less looks than a fat girl because a guy is more likely to stick with his program, and therefore his acceptance at some gyms may be a little easier.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not being a gym person, but going to a xc ski club I find the slow, out of shape people on the trail in front of me annoying, especially when they don't know about track and other etiquette items. Maybe its the same way at the gym, they are new and you can tell they are new so they receive the brunt of criticisms because they don't know any better.

I have to be careful though, I am the fat out of shape guy among my friends.

As for body types, I would call mine newtonian, "a body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest". I can gain or lose 20 pounds relatively quickly and without changing my diet just by changing the amount of excercise I get. This winter was brutal due to the cold and some hip problems that have kept me off the wind trainer.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I said, "Great! At least the fat guy was working out." She said, "Yuck." I left it at that. This woman is dumb. I am beginning to slip in some subtle insults into my conversation with her, though I do try to avoid her. Slowly, she will begin to hate me...

Slowly, I am coming to love you. In a hetero way...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Because they're as bad as fags.

sorry fags.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Other Exercise - Crossfit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 4:08 PM
  2. Upcoming interview- writing exercise
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3