Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Adjacent Land Use Mitigation

Adjacent Land Use Mitigation

Any ideas on how a porposed elderly housing complex could shield its tenants from the impact of an adjacent existing factory from noise, lighting, and especially smell? Other than landscaping and berming?

As a side note, the factory falls under acceptable performace levels.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What kind of scale and mass are we talking about for each structure, and when you say adjacent, what is their physical distance?

Try to orient the buildings, entrances, porches, balconies away from the factory. Have the parking, garbage, etc on the side of the building facing the factory. As for the smell issue...not sure you can really get around that. Smell knows no boundaries. I guess that any problems that come up with this project would fall under the "Coming to the Nuisance" doctorine.

Put deaf, blind, and smelling impared tenants on the side of the building nearest the factory or buy a bunch of these....just kidding!!

"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Designing the building so that there are a minimum number of openings (windows and doors, especially opening windows) on the side of the factory may work. Also the layout of the units should be such that "quiet" areas (bedrooms) should be located farther away then common and living areas. The other trick is to double up the walls. (ie 2 sheets of 5/8 gyprock, airspace/insulation, 2 sheets 5/8 gyprock) to reduce noise transmission.

Check your building code for other suggestions.

As for odor / dust, better air circulation systems and filters would probably be appropriate.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Without seeing a site plan it is a little difficult to know if terrain or other features may help. In general, though, architecture is going to be one of the best tools. Placing kitchens, loading areas, etc. along that side of the building will help to shield residents. If windows and balconies can be arranged to face away from the building, that may also help. My yard backs up to some factories, and even though the property line is a quarter mile or more from the house, I can still hear noise on occassion. I don't think there is too much you can do about that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 4:31 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Dec 2006, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Nov 2006, 3:40 PM
  4. Adjacent cities and consolidation
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 29 Dec 2004, 7:54 PM