Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gas Station Signs

Registered
    Feb 2003

Gas Station Signs

I seem to remember that there is some law, either state or federal, that limits a municaplity's authority on limiting gas station signs that display the per gallon price. Am I just imagining this or does anyone else remember anything like this?

Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I remember coming across an old sign code a long time ago that excluded pricing from the calculation of the gas station freestanding sign area... but I never really knew why. I don't think that there is a federal law that still regulates this in the States, as it wasn't an issue when I updated a sign code recently in WA state. But maybe someone else has more experience with this issue.

I think that these limits are set by each state's Dept of Weights and Measures, the same group that tests to see if the pumps are actually punming the amount of gas that they claim. I think that cities can limit the size of them to an extent, but cannot ban them completely.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A gas station owner gave an original excuse for a higher sign that worked on our design review commission. He said that in another town they limited him to a low monument sign that listed the prices. Because it was so low, neighborhood teenagers kept lowering the prices as a joke, and cars would line up thinking they were getting a deal.

An annoying thing one station does with an existing sign is instead of displaying the 3 gas prices, they only advertise 1 big price - its just as OK according to zoning.

I have heard that same argument about those readerboard signs. All they have to do is have the numbers enclosed in a clear locked plactic cabinet.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jtfortin
    All they have to do is have the numbers enclosed in a clear locked plactic cabinet.
    Agreed. They are rewquired by law to clearly display the price. Municipalities still have local control over bulk requirements.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    A gas station owner gave an original excuse for a higher sign that worked on our design review commission. He said that in another town they limited him to a low monument sign that listed the prices. Because it was so low, neighborhood teenagers kept lowering the prices as a joke, and cars would line up thinking they were getting a deal.

An annoying thing one station does with an existing sign is instead of displaying the 3 gas prices, they only advertise 1 big price - its just as OK according to zoning.
    We often get this excuse (college town), but it doesn't fly. If you are lucky enough to get a readerboard permitted, locked cabinets work.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We're actually considering letting them have eletronic signs, so they can change the price from inside the building. We do limit them to only the gas prices, no scrolling text. They claim it's easier and it actually looks about the same.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Commiseration Station
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 19 Jan 2015, 4:07 PM
  2. How was your polling station?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 05 Nov 2008, 11:52 AM
  3. Gas station cleanup
    Economic and Community Development