• I don't quite fit with the choices, so I am splain'n below

14 12.61%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth order

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by KMateja

If you buy into it, the first born as planners type personalities makes sense - the organizational skills, the mediator skills, etc.
    That is what I thought too

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I don't know about that first-born theory. I'm the youngest of two, but I am far more organized (and, I think, financially responsible) than my sister!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Mud Princess
    I don't know about that first-born theory. I'm the youngest of two, but I am far more organized (and, I think, financially responsible) than my sister!
    I definitely think that for a lot of people, the theory has merit, but also for just as many people it doesn't apply to either - my mom and her sister totally don't fit the birth order theory. Nor my dad and his siblings.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by jmf

At the same time, I worry/care more about what my parents think, I figure sometimes it just makes life easier while most of the time my sister doesn't think about them at all she just does what she wants.
    It's the same with my little sister! I can't believe how rude she is to my parents and the things she gets away with! And she doesn't seem to have ever learnt how to be tactful - she always says what she thinks straight off which sometimes leads to offending people.

My oldest sister is 28, next is 26, me at 23 and littlest at 18. The oldest and youngest have had the most attention, for various reasons.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I am the "big sis" to 2 brothers. One is a year younger than me and we've always been very close. The other is 5 years younger and I tormented him beyond belief while we were growing up.
    However, he has always been the most "goal-oriented" of the three sibs and is definitely in the best position financially.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I am probably the most "goal-oriented" of my sibliings and in the best position financially. My oldest and youngest sisters are hopeless with money - they never have any!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by JNL
    I am probably the most "goal-oriented" of my sibliings and in the best position financially. My oldest and youngest sisters are hopeless with money - they never have any!
    Me too. Although my siblings are still pretty young (22 and 24), so they really aren't supposed to have any money yet. Christmas and birthday presents are bought by me, and signed by all of us.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm the first of four - me, brother, two sisters. I fit all the stereotypes of the oldest sibling. I never got into trouble, bit I sure could instigate.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Oldest of three. My sister is three years younger, and my brother is 14 years younger. My sister acts like a youngest child, and my brother is much more like an only child.

stuck in the middle with you..........2 of 3

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am the youngest of 8... but there is a six year gap between me and my next oldest family member.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Birth order

Head first.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Fourth of 4.

I was right in line for being spoiled like crazy until when I was 10 my parents split.

My dad remarried she had two girls both younger so no spoiling there and my ma went back to school ultimatly getting her PHD. so Damn I lost out there too.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by KMateja

TP - I've heard that if there is more than 5 years between siblings, you'll tend to be more characteristic of an only child.
    That's probably true in my case as well. My older brother and I are 7 years apart.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    1st of 4; 7 yr spread from me to youngest.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    oldest of 3, act like the youngest

we are all 4 yrs apart
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Smack dab in the middle...

Birth order in my family:
    Older Brother
    Older Sister
    ME
    Younger Sister
    Younger Brother

I thought for sure there was something special about the boy-girl-boy-girl-boy birth pattern until I took statistics and found out the odds were one in thirty-two, which isn't all that special. !$@#$@^ statistics!
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Second of four... although there's an eleven year difference between the first two and the last two. The story my parent's used is that since my brother and I were 11 and 15, we'd be able to provide free babysitting for the second round of kids.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am the second of two from my mother and father, but I do have a half brother who is 24 years younger than I am. My full brother is almost 7 years older than me so that whole idea of only children comes into play. However, I definitely got away with murder thing. However, I was always at my grandmother's house with two of my other cousins, making me the oldest in the pecking order of things.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Spoiled rotten only, unless you count the dogs. Most people who meet me are surprised to learn I don't have any siblings, though. Not sure what to make of that. Guess the dogs got more attention than I did....
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Have one older brother, but we were 'Irish twins' only 12 months apart in age (December is a cold month). When we read about birth order stuff my brother and I both agree the twin stuff seems most applicable. We almost never fought. See eye to eye on everything. Know exactly what the other is thinking. Wierd, huh?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm the youngest of 3 - sister is 33, brother is 30, me is 26.

My parents got away with not have the stereotypical "porblem teenagers", we were pretty easy.

[gloating] I am the most "successful" of the three, but there's really no direct competition because we have rather different life goals and experiences.[/gloating]

I was the youngest growing up, but now that I am married, I am my in-laws oldest child.
    Last edited by mendelman; 11 Nov 2004 at 4:28 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am the first born. I have only one sibling, a sister, who is 8 years younger than me.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I'm the baby. The youngest of three AND the only girl...my brothers are 33 and 29 and I'm 23, so we have some years between us. The middle child syndrome definietly exists in our fam--I got an iPod for my bday this year and my older brother felt that if I got one then he should get one for his bday too. He's 29 and it worked. Unbelievable.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    "Last born -- I just love the attention"....but I didn't REALLY have to tell you folks that, now did I?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Changes In The Birth Process
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Jun 2006, 1:57 PM
  2. Birth of a freeway
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 9:47 AM
  3. Replies: 18