Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional Development

Professional Development

As a means of opening this discussion I draw your attention to a new website wherein the needs of the entire planning community are being reflected in a new professional development curriculum. As the needs of the planning community for real world, day to day, on the job skills may mean the difference between mere survival as a planner to mastery of planner skill sets, we earnestly solicit your specific needs for training and development topics and concerns.

Of special interest might be the section regarding professional development and certification and the inevitable correlation between this and professional development. It occurs to us that in the U.S. alone there are over 60,000 people in planning specific professions and a virtually countless number in related fields and professions. Of these maybe a quarter are represented by today's certification processes and the professional development needs of some of today's professional associations are directed primarily towards these few. The needs of others in the allied professions and positions, as well as the needs of those from outside the U.S. must all be addressed.

www.ppdi.org

Registered
    Aug 2001

Oh please...

"...professional development and certification and the inevitable correlation between this and professional development."?

Do you hear yourself? Go away and take your self promotion with you.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I would suggest that the first course offered by your organization be a professional writing course...and that you take it asap.

'Yo, Dan - sic'em!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Gee folks, can you explain to us how you really feel?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Lighting the flame of knowledge since summer camp, 1982

Dudes and Dudettes,
    I'm also a prestigious institute and I am now certifying planners in the area of Anal Retentive Management Techniques for the New Holistic Planning Paradigms (ARMTNHPP) for $49.95. Additional course work for a Masterís Certification in Smart Sprawl Techniques (MCSST) is also offered at $75.00 a credit hour (This is a thirty hour masters program). On campus residency is required for the younger ladies. Send a check to me at the address below and Iíll send your course materials, filled with good vibes, and follow up with a diploma via UPS in 7- 10 working days. Cap and gown rental is your responsibility. Scholarships are available for those that can spare some weed.

Senior Eduardo Sixtoe El Guapo, ARMTNHPP, MCSST, OUMF
    El Guapo School of Management and Restaurant Supply
    1 Corporate Bastard Woods
    Santa Poco, MX 98765-43211

The El Guapo School of Management and Restaurant Supply is not affiliated with the Burlington Coat Factory.
    Last edited by el Guapo; 11 Dec 2001 at 2:41 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    May I enroll in the course and take it for credit/no credit?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Professional development for professionals

Aw c'mon guys, the course offerings from the"institute" may help some planning newbies or other lone wolfs;

But on the other hand the courses do sound a lot like a roster from a motivational speaker tour's best bets. The Zig Zeigler course in PPD.

What does that certificate mean? And is it really a mechanism to improve a profession or just a market opportunity to sell motivational materials to a captive audience?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    El Guapo:

Can your school also teach me the virtues of being a Republican planner?

Registered
    Oct 2001

So sorry...

Everyone knows we republican planners have no virtues to share! Isn't republican planner an oxymoron as defined by the APA? All kidding aside, I believe in planning in so many ways Ė like you. Sit down and ask a conservative planner sometime where they are coming from and why they practice in this field. You will likely find a well reasoned argument returned to you for the effort.

I know I have been guilty of being a troll on this board more than once, but I enjoying the interchange of ideas and learning more about how and what planners and interested people think about a wide variety of land use subjects. And as to that institute above, I went to his site, gave it a fair read, and then picked on it. Looks like the Earl Scheib institute of planning to me.

You know what Republican Planners use for birth control?

Our Personalities

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    [hijack]

I dunno about this "Republican planner" thing I keep hearing about. I stumbled across this in my surfing today.

Isn't Santa Poco a subdivision in ... BERKELEY? Right by the organic food co-op too, I bet.

[hijack]
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

I've been outted!

Ok, Iíll come clean. Here is a photo of me without the El Guapo costume at our 1998 Berkeley Faculty, Fourth of July (Racist holiday that it is) All Vegan Picnic at the Fillmore. I had just arrived from my Le Leche League - Menís Auxiliary Ė "Pump for the Truth About Hemp" rally. That is why the look on my face screams lactose intolerance. I hope that this photo clears up any misunderstandings about my mission and my wardrobe.

And Yes! I'm just wild about hats!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 9:34 AM
  2. Professional development and career path
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Apr 2011, 2:41 PM
  3. Professional development for economic developers
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8