Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why they will never have a "Survivor" show in Antarctica

Why they will never have a "Survivor" show in Antarctica

Let's see. So far there have been Survivor shows in Malaysia, Australia, Thailand and now the Amazon. Maybe there's a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Notice a common denominator among all these locations? That's right, all warm climates. Some tropical, some arid, but all warm.

Now I hate the show Survivor and think everyone on the show is an absolute creep. But I always thought that a Survivor in the Antarctic wouldn't be a half-bad idea. Think about it: Unlike all these panty-waste tropical locations, a bitterly cold climate would truly test their survival skills. It doesnít even have to be Antarctica. How about the interior of Greenland or Baffin Island, Churchill, Manitoba, or even northern Alaska? (It would have to be produced during late winter or early Spring so the sun will be out at least part of the day but itís still bitterly cold)

I always wondered why no one thought to do a Survivor show below (or above) the 60th Parallel. They keep doing it around the equator, why not closer to the Poles? That would truly be quite a feet and may draw in viewers bored with reduncancy of the previous shows.

Then it hit me how simple the answer was.

Because it would be so cold, all the contestants would have to be dressed up in multiple layers of clothing at all times. That simply wouldnít sell Ė itís as simple as that: No bikinis with fake boobs hanging out. No thong underwear, no tanned bodies, no Steroid enhanced muscles. And with a sexually obsessed, MTV-addled audience, that simply wouldnít fly. At their animal level of thinking, if they canít show some T & A, itís simply not worth watching. Thereís always Fastlane instead.

So thatís why there will never be a Survivor in Antarctica, Greenland, or any other cold climate. Snowsuits just donít sell to our sexually depraved, intellectually bankrupt culture.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Check out Global Extremes: Mount Everest on the Outdoor Life Network. It is the REAL survivor. Where you need to be physically strong, mentally fit, etc etc.

The next segment of it is in Antarctica (I think).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A friend of mine just returned from a 3 week trip to S. America and Antarctica.

He said the Antarctica weather was great - a balmy 25 degrees most days. He's actually found the Boston area weather upon his return to be really cold in comparison!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think the real reason CBS doesn't go down to Antartica is the hardship its crew, staff, and facilities would have to experience. It's one thing for CBS to get the hook-up from a South American government to lease space and facilities in a National Park, quite another to venture into international territory and have to build all the infrastructure for just one season of Survivor.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Extreme Sports

I have to admit I am a little creeped out by the whole "extreme sport" thing. Outdoor Magazine bothers me for some reason. Guess I am not very adventurous, but it just seems pointless and rather narcissistic. There is so little danger in the lives of most middle class people that we have to go searching for it???

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I always thought the "real" test would be to send the Survivor contestants (or participants in the Eco-Challenge) to northern Maine, during black fly season... with no DEET allowed...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Mud Princess
    I always thought the "real" test would be to send the Survivor contestants (or participants in the Eco-Challenge) to northern Maine, during black fly season... with no DEET allowed...
    That would be a good one.

My buddy from college in Indiana came to Maine for my wedding (June last year). We were over at the in-laws house, having a couple of beers outside, and the black flies were out. His comment after about 10 minutes was priceless....

"What the hell are these things that are flying around my head, and why the f*** aren't any of you saying anything about them!?"

A moment I'll remember for the rest of my life to torment him with.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've got a similar memory from a few years ago. We were driving through the Adirondack mountains (NY) during peak black fly season and passed by a car w/ NJ plates parked at a scenic overlook.

All four car passengers were out of the car trying to enjoy the view while franticly waving their arms in a desperate but futile attempt to keep the flies at bay.

After seeing that, we wisely opted to stay in the car when we needed to stop to change our son's diaper.

Originally posted by NHPlanner

That would be a good one.

My buddy from college in Indiana came to Maine for my wedding (June last year). We were over at the in-laws house, having a couple of beers outside, and the black flies were out. His comment after about 10 minutes was priceless....

"What the hell are these things that are flying around my head, and why the f*** aren't any of you saying anything about them!?"

A moment I'll remember for the rest of my life to torment him with.

Registered
    Aug 2002

That reminds me...

All four car passengers were out of the car trying to enjoy the view while franticly waving their arms in a desperate but futile attempt to keep the flies at bay
    I have a great photo of my husband at Oregon Inlet, North Carolina from years back . We were camping nearby and drove up to the bridge to watch the sunset. So much for romance -- the mosquitos were so bad when we got out of the car, we had to run for our lives!!! In the photo I took (with the sun setting in the background), my husband is waving frantically to get the skeeters away from his face.

We got back in the car, returned to the campground, and stayed in the zipped-up tent for the rest of the night!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    to northern Maine, during black fly season... with no DEET allowed...

In our office we had jokingly made similar remarks.

Now you know why lumber jacks wore long flannel shirts all
    year round.

I wonder how silicone and deet react to one another?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Jun 2006, 12:09 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Jan 2006, 3:44 PM