Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Treasures

Registered
    Feb 2002

Treasures

What does everybody collect - anything?

I go for old Coldwater postcards, mainly of downtown. I get most of those off of ebay. It can be pretty inexpensive. This one starts at $4. BTW - Downtown still looks like this with the exception of the buggies

We go to a lot of auctions and I try to go for old wood furniture and vintage outdoor / garden type of stuff. I have to lay off the furniture for a while. I have about 15 projects sitting in our basement.

Chad collects fire stuff.

I think thats about it? Anyone else?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Keychain versions of toys. I bought the mini tinker toys and couldn't stop myself. Now I have Mr and Mrs Potato head, Monopoly, Operation, etc. Some of the pieces in Mouse Trap are so small they have to be assembled with tweezers. They're all hanging from the bulletin board in my office. For some reason, the lawyers find them irresistable.

Also Dept. 56 "North Pole Village" buildings, people, etc. but I'm running out of room to store and display them.

I started collecting those cheesy souvenir spoons for my son when he was tiny.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I collect postcards and postal history (letters, post marks, other post office stuff) from a very rural county in Nova Scotia. There used to be almost 200 post offices now there are less than 10.

I collect stamps currently most interested in stamps engraved by Czeslaw Slania, his artwork is absolutely incredible. (http://www.uno.edu/~asoble/pages/picture_page_8.htm)

I also love books, mostly local history and literature but I also collect wooden boxes which look like books. Some have secret compartments.
    (http://www.studioantiquesandfineart....5853store.html)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I have a small garbage bag full of old Happy Meal toys. I haven't "collected" any in over 10 years, but I'm still holding on to these.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I collect comic books, sci fi/pulp era books and bicycle related beer pint glasses.

I'd like to collect older cast iron toys, such as tractors, but can't afford to.
    Last edited by donk; 05 Mar 2003 at 10:53 AM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    U.S. coins are the only thing I collect. Mostly, I pick these up at auctions, although it is getting harder to find the ones I still need.

I also pick up old furniture at auctions, and have a mission-style oak couch (1910) and rocking chair (1920's), and a carved oak piano (1897) to show for it.

I tend to pick up art (mainly watercolors and pottery) when I take vacations. Here's an example:

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I have a model railway, so I guess I "collect" trains.

For a while I was collecting double-decker buses and streetcars (mainly the Corgi 1:48 die-cast), but I haven't got any new ones for some time now.

BANNED
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I collect frog and dolphin figurines and candles, I have some bean bag and sand frogs, but Kylie has taken ownership of most of them.

I also collect(and use) Longaberger baskets. I got lots of them at my bridal shower and I want several more. I have the desk set at my office and I am looking into becoming a consultant so I can sell them. I am addicted to them and could talk about them for hours!

I used to be into collecting LP and EP records. I guess I still am to an extent. I try to get refrigerator magnets from each place I visit. I also recently began collecting old metal beer trays from breweries that are/were located in Wisconsin as well as other brewery related stuff.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I am definitely NOT a collector, except for the piles of yarn through out the house - but I really am going to use them all some day.

Rob is a big collector - he's kept all his old baseball cards, he also collects the disney statues, and these weird little 1970's era gnomes from East Germany, they're called Co-Boys. My sister calls them underpants gnomes.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I collect old Brownie cameras I am looking for one of these for < $20.

ebay

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I love glass and collect unique glass pieces, whether usable or for display. I especially like cobalt glass (real cobalt that is... when you hold it up to the light, there should be a red tint). I would like to take up the hobby of blowing glass sometime.

I also collect nice editions of books by certain authors: Nabokov, Bowles, Mahfouz, Neruda.

My b.f. collects comic books and spiderman stuff.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Don't do drugs or drink very much-I collect things

Art glass

Tons of heavy metal CDs

Architecture/photography books.

But, my big collection craze right now is southwestern Pueblo pottery. My favorite is Acoma Pueblo (Sky City) work-really thin walled with intricate linework.

Heavy metal CDs and pottery, I am a web of contradictions

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I used to collect antique volkswagens, but that got to be a little bulky.

I dont collect household tchatchkies (sp?), but inherited a few that are mostly in storage - antique glass and fiesta ware.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I also collect old postcards. The 'real photo' and linen cards from the early 1900s have great images of cities. I have a lot of postcards from the towns I have lived or worked in, and I have a small but growing collection of early linen cards of each county courthouse in Indiana. I also have a bunch of cards showing Carnegie libraries.

Its a fun diversion, and relatively inexpensive. Most postcards are $3 to $8, but I have a handful that are worth $30 or so each. Ebay is great for finding old postcards.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Shotglasses...

I have hundreds. Either antiques, uniques, or from places I've been.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Let's try an attachment. This beauty will be arriving this week

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I just collect beer cans, soda cans and rocks... nothing else :P

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Originally posted by Bullwinkle
    Its a fun diversion, and relatively inexpensive. Most postcards are $3 to $8, but I have a handful that are worth $30 or so each. Ebay is great for finding old postcards.
    I collect old postcards too. I think it must be a planner hobby -- we pay more attention to the built environment than the average Shmoe.

The only problem is, when I go to some antiques or ephemera show, I am compelled to weed through hundreds of postcards. It's not that inexpensive when you want to buy 20 of them...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    I just collect beer cans, soda cans and rocks... nothing else :P
    Rocks. I forgot about rocks. Yes, I do a fair amount of prospecting for minerals and unusual rocks to add to the collection.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I have a small but growing collection of microbrewery pint glasses.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Mud Princess
    The only problem is, when I go to some antiques or ephemera show, I am compelled to weed through hundreds of postcards. It's not that inexpensive when you want to buy 20 of them...
    That's for sure. My husband almost had an attackm when I laid down almost $300 for a bunch of postcards.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    humm lets see i collect lions, unusual tribal looking ones get me all excited. They are strewn around my livingroom while violets and ivy are collected for the kitchen

oh yes and dog hair, i seem to collect dust bunnies made of dog hair-ive started a breeding program for them
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Originally posted by jmf

That's for sure. My husband almost had an attackm when I laid down almost $300 for a bunch of postcards.
    Well, I suppose I could justify spending $300 on postcards if my husband is shelling out hundreds of $$$ on e-bay for some esoteric foreign car parts... being shipped from overseas to boot...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I collect die cast firetrucks...I think I've been made fun of for that already though.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cryptic notes and old treasures
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 29 Apr 2013, 11:26 AM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last post: 22 Feb 2012, 4:44 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last post: 16 Apr 2009, 2:58 AM
  4. Souvenirs treasures or trash