Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question for Planderella

Question for Planderella

Planderella,

We are heading out for New Orleans Monday morning for a few days away with the kids. We plan to do the aquarium, zoo, and children's museum. We are staying at the Radisson on Canal. Can you recommend any other activities suitable for the kids (ages 8 & 5)? Also, can you recommend any kid-friendly restaurants in that area?

Thanks,

jestes
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not Planderella and I don't play her on TV, but I've been there a few times.

As I recall, there's a Mardi Gras Museum that's pretty cool, and should hold a kids attention.

If you're doing the acquarium and zoo on the same day, there's a boat that runs between the two. Its a great ride.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I know a few places in the Quarters that would be very educational for the kids...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 1998
    You were smart to come after Mardi Gras. The "turk" was referring to the John James Audubon Zoo Cruise. In fact, you can probably purchase a package that would include the zoo, aquarium and the IMAX theatre along with the cruise.

Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World is also a pretty cool visit. You guys can catch the Algiers Ferry right at the foot of Canal Street (right between the aquarium and the Spanish Plaza/Riverwalk) over to the westbank and walk or catch a shuttle from the ferry landing.

I personally love riding the St. Charles streetcar....it's a nice scenic tour of uptown.

I don't have any kids so I know nothing about kid-friendly restaurants other than the places I wanted to eat at that age - Mickey D's and Burger King.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Watching the ships go by on the river can be fun. You may also find something going on near the Cabildo. I think you may find some more kid-friendly food near there, from ice cream to outdoor cafes.

I think the opening night reception of the 2001 APA conference was held at the aquarium.

Being only 90 miles or so from New Orleans I have actually spent quite a bit of time there. However, experiencing the City with my kids will be quite different. Several people have told me about the zoo cruise and we plan to do that along with the LA Children's museum and some daytime activity in the Quarter.

Thanks for the hints.

Jay
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planderella is in Teh CluBBBe
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2005, 9:09 AM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last post: 21 Dec 2004, 1:06 PM
  3. The Planderella Predicament
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 19