Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sick of the snow? It could be a lot worse!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Sick of the snow? It could be a lot worse!

I've been following the story of Badger, Newfoundland for the last few weeks. For those in the States that are unfamiliar with the story, Badger is a town of about 500 in Newfoundland that was flooded about three weeks ago when three area rivers flooded their banks. As if that wasn't bad enough, the floodwaters froze making the village into one giant towncicle. I couldn't imagine my house being flooded and then freezing over.

I have no idea whether this happens regularly or not in cold areas... but it's the first I've ever heard of anything like this.

I have never seen or heard of anything like that. Imagine waking up and being frozen inside your house.

On the other hand, it would be a lot if fun to cruise around town on a sled or ice skates.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This is not a regular event, but happens to a lesser extent in many coastal/tidal areas. It occurs primarily when the ice breaks up and is flowing, then repacks, freezes and creates a dam. In some cases if they catch the ice damming, they go in and drop explosives.

Right now in Beresford there is a 15m (50 ft) tall wall of ice that has blown in from the bay.

http://nb.cbc.ca/template/servlet/Vi...cewall20030226

While I feel bad for the people of Badger, i am sick of winter, we got another 20 cm of snow last night.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk

While I feel bad for the people of Badger, i am sick of winter, we got another 20 cm of snow last night.
    I hear ya... tonight it's supposed to be -33C. This is *without* the windchill. The high today is -21C with a windchill of -33. Evil!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I won't even start on the cold.....

This is the first year in the past 7 that I have not been able to ride my bike outside at least once every month of the year.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We're up to 23F today, and it actually feels pretty good, It rained on sunday, and i was deliriously happy - you could start to smell spring! the crocuses should be up in a month or so! woo hoo!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We are feeling lucky to have finally gotten some snow on Tuesday. It was about six inches (female version) to eight inches (male perspective) deep.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Guys are always trying to add extra inches, right? That's too funny.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm sitting under the air conditioner right now. It's been warm and muggy for most of the week.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Its snowing really hard here and I didn't bring a lunch. That means I have to walk to the dive bar and grille next door.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's about 27 F here. We had ice this morning, followed by some snow, but not the 1 - 3 inches that was predicted. The streets are wet, but untreated sidewalks and driveways are still glazed.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We got about 20cm of snow here yesterday...a bit messy. The sun is out right now though, and it's beautiful. Sidewalks are real sloppy though.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm in no rush to go home. There's a 50 - 100 car pileup in Attleboro, MA, 95 South is completely shut down there. Also 2 other pileups of about 20 cars each in SE Mass.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We got about 20cm of snow here yesterday
    what they did'nt call in the army to shovel you out?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Attleboro aka paddleboro

what a mess and a joke

yesterday was nice and the snow seems to be going away, though its cold again today-im DONE with snow, close to 50 inches here this year. DC i thought got MAYBE 6-8 a year on a good year!

the city filled with ice is pretty scary, as the ice moves i wonder if it moves the homes off their foundations
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yes that could happen.. when the ice melts... it'll be just like a glacier... unless it melts quickly.... but anyways it sure can cause trouble...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That photo flashes me back to... what was the year... 1993? When the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers were raging. The videos of farm houses washing downstram was mortifying.

I really feel bad for those people up in Newfie.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Some minor good news on this item. There was a benefit concert in St. John's last night and they raised about $350 000 for teh people of the town. The Red Cross hopes to raise $3 million dollars to help people relocate and rebuild their homes.

Here is the story about the benefit.

http://stjohns.cbc.ca/template/servl...adger_20030307

if you want to see more images of the town

http://stjohns.cbc.ca/features/badger/

If you want to see what people are saying

http://interact.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/WebX?8@@.773a4190

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What is worse than R&B?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 22 Aug 2013, 3:03 PM
  2. Which city is worse off?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 66
    Last post: 15 Jun 2005, 11:21 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 16 Feb 2003, 11:34 PM