Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Top small towns in America

Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Coldwater - tied for 17th!

Those are not very small... geez

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Sorry, I don't know what their methodology is, but I question their conclusions.

I know many of the midwestern examples. Not only is a place like Richmond, Indiana, not that small (40,000 people is a small town?), but many of them are kinda grim older factory towns that have poor economies in the NAFTA/"Made in China" era we now live in.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I lived in Traverse City three years ago. Downtown, on Front Street, in a second floor apartment. I can vouch for its livability - great place, lots to do, and fun!

For those thinking about a vacation this summer, I highly recommend a trip to Traverse City. You won't regret it! It's sort of a mini-Ann Arbor, but much quieter with more water and no major University. There is a strong liberal population there, but definitely not as vocal or active as in Ann Arbor. If you are into different people and lifestyle alternatives, take comfort in knowing there is an active gay community up there. Plus, you'll find hunters and anglers up there, too.

But the region is sprawling. The City of Traverse City is a comfortable town, built traditionally and the envy of many New Urbanists. But the adjacent townships are typical suburbs - strip commerical, huge homes, separation of uses. Cherry farmers are actually winning the battle against sprawl, though. The township on Mission Peninsula has a PDR program. When you go up there to the lighthouse, you will thank them for the vistas and prime ag land they are preserving.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Traverse City is definitely not a factory town! Clean, fun, and has an energetic vibe.

Originally posted by BKM
    Sorry, I don't know what their methodology is, but I question their conclusions.

I know many of the midwestern examples. Not only is a place like Richmond, Indiana, not that small (40,000 people is a small town?), but many of them are kinda grim older factory towns that have poor economies in the NAFTA/"Made in China" era we now live in.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Silly List.

Corpus Christi, Texas, has over 400,000. It ain't Houston, but even in Texas is this considered a small town?

This list has no credibility at all!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Funny how it also seems to be dominated by communities that advertise in the magazine. I have pretty much stopped reading the "site selection" magazines because almost every article is really an advertorial. This follows having stopped advertising because the only people who seem to look at then are other economic developers - not the corporate real estate people that they claim is their target market.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Dec 2012, 2:13 PM
  2. Best small towns?
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 10:52 AM
  3. TOD in towns and small cities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 1:36 PM