Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PUD Modifications

     
    Registered
    Jul 2002

PUD Modifications

For those who work in the public sector ----
    What type of fees does your County or City charge for PUD modifications (minor and major ; large scale and small scale)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Minor mods are $250 plus $2 per notification. Our fees are ridiculously low across the board.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Ridiculously low? How about free? Oh, but last month we had a board of appeals determination that moving a building from the side to the rear and reducing the parking by 1/2 were not significant changes for an entertainment center.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mods are $535.00 + staff time on an hourly basis.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Minor $600
    Major $2000

Registered
    Sep 2001
    OT

Bturk said

Mods are $535.00 + staff time on an hourly basis.
    I'm curious how you were able to sell this to your council? Here, if I ask for a plan drawn to scale and dimensioned in metric I'm seen as a big bad meany and costing the little guy money. I can't see them letting us, even though in many cases they should, charge people for our time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is pretty common in these parts:

- site plan
    - grading plan
    - building elevations
    - landscaping plan
    - lighting plan
    - storm water plan

The applicant pays fees plus the cost of engineering and planning review.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Is it a function of how the department is funded?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    Is it a function of how the department is funded?
    Absolutely. Your base fee gets you a pre-submittal meeting, a staff review of up to 1.5 hours, and the first Plan Commission meeting. After that, you get charged an hourly rate based upon the level of the staff person doing your review.

I didn't have to sell it to Council. They don;t want the general tax payer subsidizing developers - esp the bad ones that take all of our time and resources.

We charge out about $56,000 a year in staff time, and also collect about $60,000 a year in general fees We're about 21,000 in population.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You are a bit bigger then us, but a town/city with a completely different attitude. Must be nice to have some support/recognition that you are professionals.

Council feels our job is to help out the developer, especially the bad ones (who tend to be "connected") because if we don't the jobs and possible development will leave town. Hell, our Plan Amendment and Rezoning fees don't even cover the cost of doing the advertisements.

What do you do in a year where developmentis slow and fees are low, does your budget come out of general revenues then?

Sorry to ask all of these questions, this is an area of interest of mine.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've so far resisted the juvenile desire to discuss PUD modifications, but I'm not sure how much longer I can go...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by bturk
    I've so far resisted the juvenile desire to discuss PUD modifications, but I'm not sure how much longer I can go...
    Isn't "PUD Modifications" a single from that band Got Guiche?
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    What do you do in a year where developmentis slow and fees are low, does your budget come out of general revenues then?

Sorry to ask all of these questions, this is an area of interest of mine.
    It can be feast or famine, but we tend to project revenue low. The numbers I quoted dont even count our Engineering Dept's charge-outs.

Despite the sour economy our residential market is booming, and we're platting constantly. A typical subdivision is 50 lots, each 20,000 s.f. minimum, fully improved, and they sell of $115,000. Add your house and it's easily a $290,000 start price. No one is bitching about $1000 in additional planning fees spread over a $14,500,000 development.

But to answer your last question, a part of our budget comes from the genreal fund, a part from landfill tipping fees, a part from "enterprise" funds such as our CDA, and a part from our municipal utilities, since we do all of their GIS.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thanks. That is kind of what I figured the answer to be and the attitude of the developer to be, it is only really a problem here because we don't really have true developers, we have individuals who own land and think it is worth millions, when, on a good day, it is really only worth the wood on it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 May 2010, 6:29 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2009, 12:52 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Feb 2005, 8:11 AM