Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Number of lots

Registered
    Jul 2002

Number of lots

I've been asked to do a survey re:

1.The number of residential lots communities permit with only one means of entrance/exit.

2. The number of lots permitted on a cul-de-sac.

3. The maximum length permitted for a permanent cul-de-sac.

4. Any technical justification for your numbers.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2002
    in Gso we limited Cul-de-sac lenght...thinks back i belive it was 800 in non watershed critical and 1000 in watershed critical.

as far as number of exits from a subdiv or development we were just starting to work on that beyond "hey connect over here" i think we started getting info from the Fire and EMS folks about their responce times and using that to push for more access points

hope this helps
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Alot of places that don't restrict length or number of lots restrict the number of trips.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We do not limit cul de sac length, but limit the # of residences indirectly by policy and not code. We try to keep it under 25. There's really no technical justification, just preference of the governing bodies.

There are some cul de sacs which predate my tenure which are about 1320 feet long. Horrible little buggers, but nice and quiet and your kids can play in the street (I know, I know - you'e got 3 acres and a 200 foot long paved driveway - why are your kids playing i the street?!)

Street connectivity is a big thing here these days, after 20+ years of cul-de-sac hell, our Plan Commission and Council are seeing the light.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Our only one of those in our regs is a maximum cul-de-sac length of 600'. I don't know really what the justification is. Number of lots on the cul-de-sac would just be a matter of what zone its in.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We allow a maximum length of 1000 feet, but in general, cul-de-sacs are usually discouraged unless there is a compelling reason for them (for example, property developed on three sides, wetlands, etc.). The difficulty and added cost of providing services on non-networked streets is the justification. We do not have a set number of units that can be built with a single access point, but when the number begins to climb above the density of single-family lots, we tend to look for multiple entry points.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Aug 2012, 10:50 AM
  2. SS number on applications?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 6:30 PM
  3. Number of Members??
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2004, 1:22 PM