Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Let's see your city's sprawling suburbs

Let's see your city's sprawling suburbs

(Most of these images were posted on the message board of skyscraperpage.com)

Scottsdale, an eastern suburb of Phoenix:

Sandy, Utah, one of the sprawling burbs of Salt Lake:

Suburban Chicago:

Cincinnati:

Edmonton:

Scarborough, Toronto Metro area

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Maybe it's just not a good example, but that picture of Scottsdale looks pretty decent to me...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The Chicago pics give me the willies. Perhaps the only positive thing about it is that they have included sidewalks, something many newer suburbs in West Michigan and in many other parts of the country lack.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah... the second photo of Edmonton didn't look that bad. Lots of trees and pretty dense development. Also the suburbs of Cincinatti retained a lot of natural features/tree stands... at least they didn't wipe out everything in their paths.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have to second some of the comments here, many of those while big, don't seem to sprawling. Try working in a City with an area of 180 square kilometers and a population of less than 20 000.

As for scarberia, while it used to be a suburb, people now think of it as Toronto, it even has public transit.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by JoshD
    The Chicago pics give me the willies. Perhaps the only positive thing about it is that they have included sidewalks, something many newer suburbs in West Michigan and in many other parts of the country lack.
    I see street trees too. Looks like their making lemonade with 'dem lemons.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Open Suburbs

What is interesting to me now is how "open" midwestern suburbs are. Out here in the land of 4500 sf lots, every little tract home is surrounded by good neighbor fences-and every subdivision has its sound wall. On the one hand, they do provide for privacy in crowded conditions. On the other hand, you lose the All-American Residential Park feeling.

The Chicago picture is particularly illustrative of the openness of the midwest. The other thing I noticed-I wish we could get separated sidewalks in all of our tracts (most of our walks are monolithic).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I noticed the huge difference between the midwest and the west. Here, a new lot will generally not be less than 8000 square feet in an (sub)urban location. In Southeast Wisconsin, that lot will cost between $30,000 and $35,000. Closer to Chicago it may be $40-50,000. In California a 5000-6000 square foot lot will cost $60,000. I grew up on a suburban lot of about a quarter acre. I now live on a farm of over 100 acres. For me, the most difficult aspect of purchasing a home on the west coast would be finding a piece of land that I can afford and on which I would not feel cramped.

Registered
    Jul 2002

No doubt about it...

The suburban Chicago pics confirmed what I already believed -- the Midwest is the most sprawled region of the nation.

Geography and water constrains lot size in the west, east and south to varying extents. However, few such constraints exist in the Midwest, particularly the old "Rust Belt" Midwest (northern portions of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, and the southern portions of Wisconsin and Michigan). The land is flat, the water is fairly plentiful, and, particularly in Illinois, few trees get in the way.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by donk

As for scarberia, while it used to be a suburb, people now think of it as Toronto, it even has public transit.
    You can actually see the subway in the two pics of Scarborough - in the first one, the line is diving underground on the right hand side of the picture (follows the railway line across the pic). In the second pic, Warden subway station is in the mid-right hand side of the pic.

[EDIT] Oh yeah - the big box complex in the foreground of the second pic is actually a redevelopment of a GM van plant. Brownfields redevelopment at its finest, eh? [/EDIT]

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Roeland Park, Kansas - about 10 km from downtown Kansas City, Missouri. It's a typical 1950s era suburb; small single family houses on fairly large lots (1/4 to 1/3 acre), with curvilinear streets and no cul-de-sacs. The area was developed by J.C. Nichols, who built Country Club Plaza.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Roeland Park looks a lot like Arden Park east of Sacramento City Limits. What's interesting there is the beginnings of "mansionization" as people wanting the close-in location and mature trees build much more grandiouse houses.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Somehow these pics reminded me of the movie Signs... :p Not really crop marks but the streets make good "alien signs" :p

Kuwait City

OK people, start contributing!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Bay Area has no sprawl!

I can't contribute. My metropolitan area is a paragon of "Smart Growth" and perfected planning.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Okay... here's my contribution

This is a neighbourhood in St. Albert (the "rich" suburb of Edmonton, where I work)...

At least we have a good trail/greenbelt system to make up for the street design/cul-de-sacs.

Note: the lot widths in this neighbourhood (which is typical of most neighbourhoods in S.A.) range between approx. 11.5m (37') and 15m (49'). So even though we are a 'burb, the density of S.A. is currently the second highest in Alberta (right after Calgary)... but we are in the middle of a major annexation that will probably drop that down temporarily.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Apr 2009, 11:46 PM
  2. Zoning: the city's foe.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 1:23 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last post: 20 Apr 2005, 11:17 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Apr 2004, 2:40 PM