Urban planning community

Poll results: Where whould you be interested/able to attend an east coast get-together?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • CIP Conference, Halifax, NS, July

2 16.67%
  • NNECAPA Conference, Concord, NH, September

0 0%
  • Portsmouth, NH - Date to be determined, no conference

1 8.33%
  • Portland, ME - Date to be determined, no conference

3 25.00%
  • No preference, just tell me where and when!

3 25.00%
  • Other ideas, shared below

3 25.00%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: East Coast Cyburbia Get-Together (with Poll)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    This meeting of Tran and jmf reminds me that there needs to be a Northern New England/Eastern Canada get together sometime in the future.....can't let all the fun happen in Denver!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together. Or the CIP conference in Halifax in June JMF and I will be working on something for there....

I am pretty sure you can still get brador in quebec.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by donk
    Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together.
    Yay! just tell me where and when!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by KMateja

Yay! just tell me where and when!
    I'm up for that too...It'd be a nice long long weekend.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together.
    If you all are serious about this, get me some general timeframes, and Mary Poppins and I can probably help set something up in either NH or ME.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am good anytime in april or may, except easter weekend (friend's wedding). Once the summer starts I am pretty much committed every weekend.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Well, my wife has exams likely until the end of April. And we are hoping to go to the UK in May...don't know the dates yet. It's possible that late May or June would work for us.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Portsmouth NH or Portland Me. would'nt be a bad places for us east coasters to get together. Or the CIP conference in Halifax in June JMF and I will be working on something for there....
    Are you guys presenting? I'm still trying to squeeze the budget for the CIP conference... no word whether I'll be successful yet. My bf's family lives in Truro/Stellarton... so we would really like to get back there to visit too.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    If you all are serious about this, get me some general timeframes, and Mary Poppins and I can probably help set something up in either NH or ME.
    I would love to meet you guys but my world is getting complicated/booked up pretty quickly and I only get 2 weeks vacation If the weekend works we will try to head down, but unfortunately, its not likely.

CIP is looking good though.

Nerudite - Truro is only about 45mins/1 hour from Halifax, Stellarton is a little further. CIP starts on Monday so you could fly in Friday or Saturday before, that way you get to stay over a Saturday night which usually makes the airfare a lot cheaper.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    CIP is in July, right? That might work for us...even though I wouldn't be attending the conference per se.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not presenting, CIP is my "perk" / education funding for the year, but only if I can drive to it.

CIP is July 6 - 9, 2003 in Halifax for anyone else that is interested. There are "reasonable priced flights" from Boston and Montreal.

Maybe teh east coast thing could be at a NE APA function. (Always trying to get work to pay)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jmf

Nerudite - Truro is only about 45mins/1 hour from Halifax, Stellarton is a little further. CIP starts on Monday so you could fly in Friday or Saturday before, that way you get to stay over a Saturday night which usually makes the airfare a lot cheaper.
    Yeah, we would probably come in on a Saturday and then stay an extra week. Bradd (my b.f.) hasn't been out to N.S. in about seven years so he really wants to go. And I haven't been there. I want to see PEI as well.

So far the airfares are about $750 for July from Edmonton. Insane huh?

You guys need to start saving for CIP in Calgary 2005.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Maybe teh east coast thing could be at a NE APA function. (Always trying to get work to pay)
    The 3 southern NE states aren't meeting until October in Hartford. I'm not sure when the northern NE states meet.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Seabishop

The 3 southern NE states aren't meeting until October in Hartford. I'm not sure when the northern NE states meet.
    NNECAPA's conference is in Concord, NH (my hometown) in late September.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Thread Split

I split the thread...thought this East Cost get-together deserved it's own thread.

If people are interested in combining it with a conference, the NNECAPA conference is going to be held in Concord, NH on September 25 & 26. The theme is Linking Resources: Natural, Social & Built.

More details as they become available.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We may have to start a poll, or maybe just note our preference here.

I'm not sure which one works best for me, or if I will be able to attend either of them (NNECAPA or CIP). NNECAPA would be closer, but of even less relevance to me than CIP would be...

We may have to have two get-togethers

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok thats it any folks in the DC area wanna get together and do a Cyburbia dinner or coffee one night? Maybe down at Kramers books?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 1996

East Coast Cyburbia Get-Together (with Poll)

At Tranplanner's suggestion....we now have a poll...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I prefer CIP, but, I would travel to the others.

I might even be willing to trek way down to DC or Philly as I have family only a few hour drive away.

I'll probably be in NYC in June for a concert, date to be determined.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I can't decide dammit! And I still have to get the most important feedback of all...that being "what does my wife think?"

I'll just go with the flow on this one...I figure for sure there will be a get-together of donk, jmf, and nerudite at CIP. Don't know who will be at NNECAPA (besides NH and MP).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I figure for sure there will be a get-together of donk, jmf, and nerudite at CIP.
    Don't forget Paul... we will all be coming to you next year when CIP is in Toronto.

I'm *hoping* to go to the CIP... but you know city budgets and all. We'll see after Denver and Vancouver, BC how much money I have left to spend this year. It's looking good (especially now that the Canadian dollar has perked up a little)... but I won't know for sure until late April/early May.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Is Albany, NY out of the question?

[Work w/ me here, KMateja!]

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Don't know who will be at NNECAPA (besides NH and MP).
    As a former attendee at NNECAPA events, I highly recommend them. Those Northern New Englanders are a fun bunch!

And I say that as a born & bred Connecticut Yankee.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    nerudite,

You sure do get to travel alot. I only get to go to things that are an easy drive, and I sometimes cover my own meals and partial milage.

I doubt I will go to toronto, but you never know, i can save on hotel bills by staying with friends, but I will be trying for DC as a servie bonus.

As for albany, that is a bit too far, probably 10 hours for me, if we are getting into miles like that , montreal may be better.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    if we are getting into miles like that , montreal may be better.
    Montreal would be OK with me...and I assume my wife too....I've never been and would love an excuse to head up there....it would be about a 5 hour drive for us....nothing out of the ordinary considering the 20 hour drive we made to Indiana last September...

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? West Coast vs East Coast
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Apr 2013, 8:18 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Jul 2012, 3:59 PM
  4. Replies: 31