Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Favorite Song to End the Week...

Registered
    Aug 2001

Favorite Song to End the Week...

Okay, Tranplanner's reference to "I Don't Like Mondays" in another thread got me thinking about songs that get you in the mood for the weekend. Anything that you like to play to transition from work mode to the weekend?

There's a song by the Square Roots called "Shovels" that I particularly enjoy... "It's Friday, it's Friday... throw down your shovels and dance!"

"Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy or
    "Bang On The Drum" by Todd Rundgren - the local classic rock station plays this song every Friday at 5.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    George Thorogood: One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer. :p
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Republica - Get Ready To Go.

Definitely a "kick it in the a** / get this party started" kind of song.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    REM "end of the world as we know it"
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    George Thorogood: One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer. :p
    Good one!

My favorite song to start the work week is the "Guns of Brixton" by the Clash. There is a great line in the song that goes .... "when they're kicking at your door, how are you going to go, with your hands on head or on the trigger of your gun?" I always feel like on Mondays that I have to shoot my way through all the junk that gets thrown at me first thing in the morning.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    "Just Got Paid" - Johnny Kemp

Here's some lyrics:

"Just got paid......Friday night.....party's jumpin........feelin right....room is shaking....all around....bought one drink....now I'm getting down."
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again. Especially Roger Daltrey's scream.

As for starting the week, from the Sex Pistol's great rock and roll swindle, the classical/opera version of Anarchy in the UK / God Save the queen.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by donk
    The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again. Especially Roger Daltrey's scream.

As for starting the week, from the Sex Pistol's great rock and roll swindle, the classical/opera version of Anarchy in the UK / God Save the queen.
    Ahhh...good ones donk!

To start the week...Aerosmith's Back in the Saddle or A3's Woke Up This Mornin'
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    In college, when we would get sassed up to go out, we'd put on House of Pain, or Beastie Boys to get us in the mood. Whenever i hear insane in the membrane i think of saturday nights.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    Whenever i hear insane in the membrane i think of saturday nights.
    I think of bong hits in Wayne Hall, 4th floor.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Mike D.

I think of bong hits in Wayne Hall, 4th floor.
    Wayne Hall at Geneseo was the "Quiet Dorm". all the weirdos lived there.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    my whole college was weirdos

hehe but it was FUN
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Don't really have a single song I like to end the week. Or begin it. I like the "Guns of Brixton" ref though - one of my fav Clash songs. "Career Opportunities" is another great Monday morning song too. As is Rush's "Tom Sawyer".

To end the week...how's about "Sudbury Saturday Night", Stompin' Tom Connors version, of course...

Registered
    Jul 2002

tunes

The Boss & Born to Run.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Back in college we used to usher in the weekend with Richard Wagner's "die Walkure." Looking back, we watched "Apacalypse Now" far too many times.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like "Train Round the Bend" by The Velvet Underground. That song just grooves, and when I blast it when I get home, my blood gets flowing and puts me in a great mood. Something about how Lou Reed belts out, "Train commin round the bend!" There's a passionate indignation in his voice that sounds so subversive, so inspirational. I just can't help but feel free and invincible.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    songs that get you in the mood for the weekend
    Wow, I'm on a different track here. To get into weekend mode, or before a night meeting, or before (and) after volleyball or softball games I usually listen to the Snoop Dog Doggy Style CD.

songs

ZZ Tpo's "Tush", Hands down, as it were.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I like "Train Round the Bend" by The Velvet Underground.
    Thanks beaner, now it is stuck in my head. I'll have to listen to it at lunch, now which version? The one from the bootlegs orlive in 69, or one of the versions from fully loaded?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh, definitely from the Fully Loaded version!

Originally posted by donk

Thanks beaner, now it is stuck in my head. I'll have to listen to it at lunch, now which version? The one from the bootlegs orlive in 69, or one of the versions from fully loaded?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This morning: "Song 2" by Blur.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 May 2007, 9:04 AM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last post: 29 Dec 2006, 11:41 AM
  4. Favorite Day of the Week